Got stuck in 4wd?

Joe

Equipment
B7610, LA352
May 29, 2010
Hopewell NJ
While clearing the latest snow (18" this time) I managed to get my B7610 stuck in the snow/ice. I was surprised to get stuck in 4wd. Noticed that only one of the front and rear wheels was spinning, I know my Audi does that, transfers power to the wheel that grips but did not think the tractor would do it. Even when I press the differential lock pedal the rear wheels both spun but the front only one wheel was spinning still.

Is what I saw normal behaviour? Its probably very obvious but being a tractor newbie its not to me. I guess I am going to have to be real careful not to get stuck, I just figure in 4wd it would go anywhere.

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
As far as I know, there is not a differential lock for the front wheels, so 3 spinning would be normal.
I tend to push a bit too hard with mine, and have been stuck in the snow and ice a few times. It is almost always easy with the loader to get unstuck again.
I'm sure most of you have done this, but here is my method.
Assuming you want to move backwards out of a bad spot-
-curl bucket to maximum 'dump' position.
-drop bucket to ground and continue so front wheels are raised
-ease clutch out in reverse while rotating bucket to 'load' position.
-repeat as necessary

I have a portable electric winch for the really bad times, but have not had to use it yet.

LDB

Equipment
B 7800 HST
Nov 29, 2010
Schaumburg, IL
It's normal. Locking the front axle on anything can be very dangerous to the operator. About the only vehicles with locking front axles that I am aware of are heavily modified "off road ONLY" jeeps and the like. Thumbs can get broken by the steering wheel going over rocks etc. Go ahead, ask me how I know ;)

kyfred

Equipment
M5030SU 4WD
Dec 20, 2010
Northern KY
My M5030SU Kubota 4WD has differential lock on both the front and rear axle. However one or the other can be locked at a time unless you are holding the steering wheel with the front wheels straight ahead not in a turn then you can lock both together to try to get out of a bind. All 4 wheels will be locked together. You can't do this with the front wheels turned left or right because something has to give. Hopefully once you pull through or back out of being stuck release the front differential lock so you will not hear gears dissintigrating. Most tractors just have the rear differential lock. The M5030SU is the only Kubota that I own and have operated. It has two pedals on the right side under the seat that you push down with your heel. It comes in handy once in a while. But I would not recommend locking both the front and rear axle together. It would be easy to tear something up locking both together. Using a loader I would not consider locking the front differential lock. You can feel things get tight quick.
Good Luck

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
It is a completely normal function of your drive system. Nothing is wrong with it. If both front tires are on the same surface, experiencing the same amount of traction, both will spin. When one of them is on a slicker surface than the other, then the tire with less traction will spin. That is the nature of a differential. As stated in the previous posts, the reason that very few tractors have a locking front axle is because of the chance of drivetrain damage, weird steering characteristics, and the effect of weight (such as a loaded bucket) on the front end. As you get more used to your machine, you will know what its limits are, and what is beyond. Knowing the limits is much more effective than extra traction.

grandl3940

Feb 6, 2011
Northern Minnesota
I purchased a new 2010 Grand L3940. When you depress the diff lock lever is it supposed to lock down or do you have to keep pressing it down. I have to stand on mine and when I do the seat sensor cuts the engine. :confused:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Very interesting,, but in a lighter vein,, A bud of mine a long time ago had one of those off brand green tractors,, and it would get stuck on the flat,, so he found/made whatever a rim that he bolted onto one of the rear wheels,, then when he got hung up he would toss a line around the nearest tree stump,,immoveable object,, loop the line around the rim and wench him self out,,, a strange peson

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
I purchased a new 2010 Grand L3940. When you depress the diff lock lever is it supposed to lock down or do you have to keep pressing it down. I have to stand on mine and when I do the seat sensor cuts the engine. :confused:
On the smaller units the manual says to press on the lever, and it will go part way down immediately. Then when the diff gears are lined up correctly the lever will go the rest of the way down and lock the gears. Suggests being at low rpm's to do this. It takes some force, but not enough to make you stand up. Of course, my little beast does not have fancy things like a seat switch or fuel solenoid.

grandl3940

Feb 6, 2011
Northern Minnesota
On the smaller units the manual says to press on the lever, and it will go part way down immediately. Then when the diff gears are lined up correctly the lever will go the rest of the way down and lock the gears. Suggests being at low rpm's to do this. It takes some force, but not enough to make you stand up. Of course, my little beast does not have fancy things like a seat switch or fuel solenoid.
It doesn't go down hard it just won't stay down (lock in). I think it should lock in so you don't have to keep pressure on it. Does this sound normal?

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
It doesn't go down hard it just won't stay down (lock in). I think it should lock in so you don't have to keep pressure on it. Does this sound normal?
They don't lock in, and you wouldn't want it to in most instances. The rear diff needs to slip when turning on hard surfaces. You only want to use it when you need the extra traction.

Remember you tractor weighs less than 2000lb pounds. Regardless of HP and 4WD you will only get so much traction.

grandl3940

Feb 6, 2011
Northern Minnesota
They don't lock in, and you wouldn't want it to in most instances. The rear diff needs to slip when turning on hard surfaces. You only want to use it when you need the extra traction.

Remember you tractor weighs less than 2000lb pounds. Regardless of HP and 4WD you will only get so much traction.
Thanks
:)

steve l

Equipment
2 m9000,9540 all cabgmd700 kuhn 605m vermeer,r23a vermeer rake,468 jd baler,
Dec 29, 2010
bullard,texas 75757
My M5030SU Kubota 4WD has differential lock on both the front and rear axle. However one or the other can be locked at a time unless you are holding the steering wheel with the front wheels straight ahead not in a turn then you can lock both together to try to get out of a bind. All 4 wheels will be locked together. You can't do this with the front wheels turned left or right because something has to give. Hopefully once you pull through or back out of being stuck release the front differential lock so you will not hear gears dissintigrating. Most tractors just have the rear differential lock. The M5030SU is the only Kubota that I own and have operated. It has two pedals on the right side under the seat that you push down with your heel. It comes in handy once in a while. But I would not recommend locking both the front and rear axle together. It would be easy to tear something up locking both together. Using a loader I would not consider locking the front differential lock. You can feel things get tight quick.
Good Luck
could you post a picture of how you lock your front differential on your 5030 maybe i've overlooked something.as far as the question on this thread my answer is weight weight weight

kyfred

Equipment
M5030SU 4WD
Dec 20, 2010
Northern KY
I am not to good on the computer I will try to get you some pics. But the pedals are on the right side behind where your right foot would normally set and there are 2 pedals instead of one. One goes to the front axle and one goes to the rear. I am hoping to go to the National Farm Machinery Show in Louisville Ky this week if I get my off day. I will look and see if any other Kubota models have a differental lock on both front and rear axle.
kyfred

kyfred

Equipment
M5030SU 4WD
Dec 20, 2010
Northern KY
Went to the Farm Machinery Show in Louisville yesterday and I saw a M95S Kubota that had the differential lock for both the front and rear axle. I don't know what year the tractor was it was newer than my M5030SU but the pedals were smaller than on my tractor so it looked like it would be harder to engage the differential lock on both axles at the same time. My tractor still has the side panels on the Sims cab on it. When I take the panels off I will try to post some pictures so you can see the differential lock pedals on the M5030SU

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
What ever you do, don't try to get into transmission lock while wheels are spinning. I have had two used tractors that came with each one not working. Some former owners jammed them into lock while stuck and wheels spinning. Of course they stripped the gears.

rjwa749

Equipment
L3940 Grand w/frt snowblower
Nov 27, 2010
Cle Elum
Like that Norway set up.

I got stuck after 70 hours of running this winter with my new tractor.

Late snow this year about 54" in 4 days or so and it came on dry roads so after the first few inches we had an nice layer of ice under the wet spring snow.

I had made it through the entire year without any need or even hint of needing chains. Not so after the late dumping. Got the L3940 stuck with the blower lifted to cut through a berm. Got it stuck in the high position with no more lift to get it off.

So after a small amount of diggin and mounting some chains from my Wrangler Rubicon, we got out.

So I got a nice set of heavy chains for the front end a few hours later and no more worries for now. Here's a pic of the tractor on the first morning after the snow began.

Attachments

ametcalf

Equipment
BX23
Apr 9, 2011
Wilmore, KY
I guess I am going to have to be real careful not to get stuck, I just figure in 4wd it would go anywhere.
With 4X4 pickups Joe we always say that 4 wheel drive will enable you to get stuck in places you can't get to with 2 wheel drive.
I got my BX23 stuck in the mud today but thankfuly it is so small that I could just reach back, put the bucket on the backhoe out, sink it into the ground and pull myself back to some solid ground.
ametcalf

rednecklimo85

Equipment
78 B6100E(brush hog, boxblade, snowplow) 85 B7200DT(loader and backhoe)
Oct 24, 2009
torrington,ct
I got my b7200 stuck several time's this winter with all the snow. I keep a path open to the shed in the back yard and after a couple months of heavy snow I could no longer keep it open because I wound up with 6 inch's of packed snow were I was plowing and the second I get off that the tractor would slid sideways and was buried in 4 feet of snow. Luckily it has a backhoe but even with that there was one time I wasn't sure I was making it out.

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
I agree with ametcalf:

"With 4X4 pickups Joe we always say that 4 wheel drive will enable you to get stuck in places you can't get to with 2 wheel drive."

With all 4x4 vehicles go as far as you can in 2WD and then use 4WD to get you out.