Got my CID Root Gappler today

Twohats

Jan 12, 2019
Charlottesville Va
l3301 with grappler.jpg

Picked up my CID Root Grappler today and have been plying in the woods all afternoon. This is a heavy unit and I asked Salesperson if it would be okay at 5oo lbs. He assured me he sell lots of them for L3301 owners. I can tell the rear scraper isnt enough counterbalance. I guess I will have to get a ballast box now.
Any suggestions guys ? Probably everything is fine just first time user questions.
Thanks

Danny

Twohats

Jan 12, 2019
Charlottesville Va
I was lifting some 12 ft oak logs that has been down for years extremely heavy.I lifted it but not very high. The tractor was alittle too bouncing for my likes so Im ordering a ballast box.Im still a bit concerned its too heavy still. Sometimes I put too much faith in the Salesman but I asked many questions and trust him and his knowledge, so far.LOL
I was reading also that I need to add fluid since i put on the grapple.i checked it and it was at lower mark on dipstick,makes sense that more fluid in in the cylinders and lines.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Are you sure “adding fluid” didnt mean to rear tires for ballast? If you dont have your rear tires filled and dont care about the weight tearing up anything then you may want to consider filling the rear tires.

A 500lb grapple is 1/2 of your lift capacity on that machine. That seems like a big sacrifice.

Rear ballast will of course help. You could try that BB as well, it is likely heavier than the rear blade. I have even seen folks put concrete blocks on top of the box blade and bungee them down to add weight in the back.

You could also make a project of it and build a ballast box/tool carrier. That is always nice in the woods when logging.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Rear ballast hanging off the 3 pt hitch of 800lbs or greater will make a big difference. I put off hanging weight off the rear using just an implement for years, but when I added a 1,000+ lbs of ballast it made a huge difference in tractor balance when using the FEL. After letting some of my neighbors try it on their tractors they bought one immediately.

A 300-400lb implement is not going to yield much improvement. Especially considering how far forward the implement appears in the photo.

Ballast boxes can be had for $250 shipped to your door. It is handy for holding rakes, shovels, chains, chain saw, etc.

Enjoy the new attachment.

Twohats

Jan 12, 2019
Charlottesville Va
I***8217;m told by Dealer tires were filled least I paid for it.
I***8217;ve ordered a BB today so it will be here this week then probably fill with sand for now.
I added about 3.5 qts of hyd. fluid and it seems better in the grabble operation
I agree it***8217;s too heavy and a bit disappointed in the Dealer for suggesting such a heavy unit but I works fine for the most part just sacrificed some lifting ability
Danny

Last edited:

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
I***8217;m told by Dealer tires were filled least I paid for it.
I***8217;ve ordered a BB today so it will be here this week then probably fill with sand for now.
I added about 3.5 qts of hyd. fluid and it seems better in the grabble operation
I agree it***8217;s too heavy and a bit disappointed in the Dealer for suggesting such a heavy unit but I works fine for the most part just sacrificed some lifting ability
Danny
Grab a solid wood tool handle or the like and give the sidewall a good rap.
If it makes a dull, thick thud sound they are filled.

Captain Itch

Equipment
L3301 HST 66in. Tomahawk bucket ,EA grapple ..
View attachment 40386

Picked up my CID Root Grappler today and have been plying in the woods all afternoon. This is a heavy unit and I asked Salesperson if it would be okay at 5oo lbs. He assured me he sell lots of them for L3301 owners. I can tell the rear scraper isnt enough counterbalance. I guess I will have to get a ballast box now.
Any suggestions guys ? Probably everything is fine just first time user questions.
Thanks

Danny
I see where there is a company that makes a grappler that weighs in at 209 pounds,it also carries a price tag of $2,000.00 ..The grappler is 55 inches and recommended for 40 hp or less .. Does anyone have any experience with this ?