Got a L185 engine question

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
What's a head gasket cost on one of these? Got a line on one, pretty cheap, and was wondering what parts will run, if anyone has done one recent?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Not sure what you are looking for but the L185 is a thermo syphon system and is prone to cracked heads if they are not maintained.

The heads are not available from Kubota but may be from aftermarket (E-bay) vendors.

They are great tractors, just maintain the radiator/cooling system.

If you are looking to buy one, look closely at the radiator exterior for plugged fins, especially low in in the radiator (behind the battery). If it is all plugged up (and looks like it has been for some time) you should be concerned that the head is cracked.

Diydave

Equipment
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Got it home today, plugged radiator, but not too bad, about a 8"X 8" spot behind battery, hollow in the middle. Milky oil, so it might be a cracked head, haven't gotten it torn down, yet. Any Idea where exactly to look for cracks? This one was leaking AF, from the injector pump side of the motor, at the head gasket. It has been sitting since May, it had the radiator pulled, don't think it could have got water in from an external leak into the crank case, so is there any other likely leak source other than the head?:confused:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Step one pull head. Put an end to all this speculation. The suspense is killing me!

They pretty easy to get off, once there you can get a good look.
A buddy's old case tractor had a bad head gasket, they pulled head and let it sit.
Now cylinders are badly rusted. All could have been avoided with some oil and a bit of time to protect it. Its been sitting indoors. Would have never thought it would rust that bad.all im sayin is if cylinders had water in them, take the time to keep em from pitting up. Good luck

Last edited:

Diydave

Equipment
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Step one pull head. Put an end to all this speculation. The suspense is killing me!

They pretty easy to get off, once there you can get a good look.
A buddy's old case tractor had a bad head gasket, they pulled head and let it sit.
Now cylinders are badly rusted. All could have been avoided with some oil and a bit of time to protect it. Its been sitting indoors. Would have never thought it would rust that bad.all im sayin is if cylinders had water in them, take the time to keep em from pitting up. Good luck
Got the head off today. Tried dumping a gallon of water in it, went right into the crankcase with no flow resistance...

From what I could see, it looks as if it was leaking through the HG, into #1, on the push rod side. Clean spot, on the head, there.

Gonna have the head hot tanked, and checked for true, and for cracks. When I get it back, I'll let y'all know what the machine shop says...

Diydave

Equipment
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Update, bad block! Tried pouring water into one of the block water jacket holes, it went right into the crank case. I guess it froze up and cracked the block. Gonna put a camera in, and see what the crack looks like...:(

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There are a couple freeze plugs inside the motor that leads to the head and the gear case that could have popped too.
If it's leaking out really fast I'm betting it's one of those. ;)

Diydave

Equipment
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
There are a couple freeze plugs inside the motor that leads to the head and the gear case that could have popped too.
If it's leaking out really fast I'm betting it's one of those. ;)
Are these located on front of motor, near the front gear case? If so, that appears to be where the leak is...:confused:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes there is one there, and very common for it to pop when frozen. ;)

Diydave

Equipment
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Another update, stuck the HF inspection camera in for a look, then a wire, to see if there was any resistance, when pressing against the freeze plug, the FP appears to be MIA. Can the FP be replaced by removing just the cover, that descends at a 45` angle towards the generator side of the motor? Looks like that cover is about at the right spot, to get to it...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your going to have to pull the gear case cover to get to the freeze plug hole.
Here is the cover, freeze plug hole is marked in yellow.

Attachments

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I hope you are aware that what we all refer to as "freeze plugs" are actually casting core plugs. While the do pop out if the block is full of water and it freezes they are not put there to stop damage from freezing. You may have other cracks in the casting of the block or head. Some can be sen some may be internal between the cylinders. Inspect carefully before investing lots of time and $$ into it.

Diydave

Equipment
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I hope you are aware that what we all refer to as "freeze plugs" are actually casting core plugs. While the do pop out if the block is full of water and it freezes they are not put there to stop damage from freezing. You may have other cracks in the casting of the block or head. Some can be sen some may be internal between the cylinders. Inspect carefully before investing lots of time and $$ into it.
I intend to closely inspect everything, got all torn off except governor springs and valve train cover, today. I plan to put the plug in, and fill with water and see if it loses any overnight, at least, before even ordering more parts. Anybody know what size the FP is, and if there is an american interchange? I saw something on Ebay about an olds or chevy FP that will fit. Also, there appears to be an oil gallery brass plug leaking, behind where the front end bolster bolts up. I guess I'll put that in, too...:(

Diydave

Equipment
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Finally got it all apart, today. Got the freeze plug from a local Kubota dealer. Parts from them was $6.00. Gasket set from Weaver's was about a hundred bucks. Gonna put the FP in tomorrow, and block off the water pipe, and fill with water and see if any leaks through the block. Wish me luck...