Good inexpensive grease gun?

Kubie L3400D

Equipment
L3400DT 4WD, SSQA, Bobcat T190, Flail mower, Brushhog, Brushshark, Ratchet rake
Jun 29, 2022
FredNeck Acres, Tejas
Obviously most people who posted didn’t really read the OP’s post when he said that he didn’t want a powered grease gun but was looking for advice on a good hand powered regular grease gun...
"Obviously"? Really?
Because we colored outside "your" lines? 😂

Obviously, if "you'd" read the OP's post you'd see he said he didn't "NEED", vs your "want" reference above.
Posting, addressing the "need" of having numerous grease fittings to fill and how simple and time saving a powered one can be is pretty on point to the discussion, IMHO. 😇

Last edited:

Bruh44

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 29, 2023
North Carolina
I’ve got a bunch of Ridgid tools. They have a 18v Rigid but it’s quite expensive. About the same as the Dewalt.
Also, I said I was looking for an inexpensive grease gun, not cheap. I went the cheap route already. It didn’t work out.

Reactions: 1 user

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
"Obviously"? Really?

Obviously, if "you'd" read the OP's post you'd see he said he didn't "NEED", vs your "want" reference above.
Posting, addressing the "need" of having numerous grease fittings to fill and how simple and time saving a powered one can be is pretty on point to the discussion, IMHO. 😇
Like those who don't see red lights...And run them?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Once you go to a quality battery-powered grease gun, you will NEVER go back to a manual.
Not me! I started out with a manual, then bought a DeWalt (which has its place), but mostly use the manual. I do have the LockNLube couplers on both grease guns and bought a fancy adapter set for different types of zirk fittings, but the LNL is far more of a game changer for me compared to manual over automatic grease guns. My biggest gripe about battery powered grease guns is the complete lack of feel. It's easy to blow out a seal with the DeWalt type grease guns. For bushing type bearings that have no seal such as those on the FEL, the auto is great.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Especially on hard to reach fittings where trying to pump a manual gun and hold the hose on the nipple it can drive ya nuts
A pistol grip type grease gun with a LockNLube coupler solves that problem very easily. I have zirks on three vehicles, two tractors, five trailers and numerous implements (the Del Morino flail has 12 zirks) and yet I still use the manual grease gun way more than the automatic.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Yup. The words “good” and “cheap” rarely are spoken together…Milwaukee here and one of the BEST purchases ever made.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yup. The words “good” and “cheap” rarely are spoken together…Milwaukee here and one of the BEST purchases ever made.
Either Milwaukee or DeWalt + 1000%
Manual = zero!

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
I went through the same experience recently. The trouble I found was that there hasn’t been any upgrades or updates to the manual style grease guns - you are just looking for quality. I was resigned to purchasing the same Napa unit mentioned above, seemed decent, reviews were good etc.

But it wasn’t what I ended up purchasing.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Another vote for a rugged lever operated manual grease gun. I have 4 of them for different grease types I use. Two of them are 30+ years old and still work perfectly. The other 2 are 10+ years old and work perfectly. I also have a small pistol-grip manual gun…it works …but I use it only in tight spaces…and only rarely.
No batteries needed. No charging station; req’d. Never a weak shot of grease because of poor, expensive, battery problems.
YMMV

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Dont laugh, but I have used both kubota grease guns. They aren't too bad out of the box. I primarily use my Milwaukee, but still needed another manual one. Ive had a few manual ones over the years. The kubota one is thick cast aluminum top, powder coated thick tube, and decent seals. Now here is the kicker its like $24 so not very expensive at all. Now with saying that I since added the lock and lube swivel and coupler to the hose. Now it is a nice gun, and looks the part too. (Pistol grip) I highly suggest the polyura greases. Either the kubota or lucas hd green if you can find it. It will service pretty much everthing. I do keep a black moly for my backhoe, but thats it. Used to use red grease, but got tired of how it separates out. The red does stay put almost as good as black moly, but I grease often so no factor.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
"Obviously"? Really?

Your opinion and your opinion isn’t any more valuable than mine. Many people are lazy nowadays and 15 grease fittings are too hard for them to do by hand. Unless you are going through a tube of grease a day greasing, a manual grease gun works fine and is better for greasing bearings and u-joints because you can keep from blowing out the seals that a powered grease gun does easily.

Reactions: 3 users

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
At one time a had a REALLY good manual gun. Don't know how but lost the dang thing. I had a pneumatic one. It bit the dust (a made in China POS), when I got the Bota and all the fitting it has in odd places, I decided to get a good "powered gun" and settled on the DeWalt for reasons mentioned elsewhere. Only real complaint? It's way big and way heavy. But works like a champ. And when Farm & Fleet was running the $40 off sale, it took the "sting" out of buying such a high quality unit for my low use application. Since the Bota is the only thing that needs a grease gun. Nothing else I own has any fittings

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Lube Shuttle.

$130 Lube Shuttle®: Hobby Farm Greasing Kit – AET Systems (advancedenginetech.com)

The OP's question was a manual gun that will last. The daily stuff available at the auto and big box stores are cheaply built these days. They won't last. You'll find a big glob of grease on the floor under your grease gun, and the grease tube empty because the piston plunger popped. Ask me how I know.

They don't make them like the one my dad had in the 1970's. That one was a beast, American made, always worked. never bleed out grease everywhere. But it got 'lost' when dad passed away. One of my nephews probably has it in a corner in his garage not knowing what it is, because he can't even change the oil on his lawn mower.

Anyway...
I use a Lube Shuttle, pistol grip manual model. It's kind of expensive. I like it. It's the first time in my life that I can lube my equipment, change the grease tube, and not have my hands covered in grease. I can't swear by it because I've only had it about 3 years. It works.

If I had more grease fittings besides the Kubota and a few zerks here and there on my other equipment, I'd buy a Milwaukee powered unit because most of my cordless equipment is Milwaukee. Or maybe the Dewalt unit because everyone raves about it.

Last edited: