Going crazy over emissions!!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
L6060 owner with DPF and 270hrs. No issues. I'm not sure why people have issue with emissions controlled tractors. Semis have DPF and millions and millions of miles on them without issue. Are there failures out there? Sure, but you have the same failures of any complex electronically controlled mechanical system. Its like saying you wont fly because planes crash. The incidence is so small as to be statistically irrelevant. I would actually like to see the brand data on any actual failures and compare that to entire model fleet for a real percentage. Id bet a beer its actually really small.
That’s not true about there being no problems with emissions in tractors and semis. There has been a lot of problems with the emissions in trucks and many tractors. Kubota, it has been limited to mainly the B3350. I have several farmer friends and truckers, and they have had problems with them just shutting down on the go because of emissions requiring dealer service.

markbxr400

Equipment
L3901, LA525, RC1860, SCR0660, BB1260
May 19, 2018
Magnolia Springs, aL
I wouldn't hesitate to get the higher HP tractor if that's what's needed on your property. I recently bought a used 2017 L3901 HST with 58 hours on it. I now have over 170 hours on it. I run it at PTO speed pretty much all the time. Most hours are mowing, but I also use the front end loader quite a bit to fill holes, level ground and my grapple to clear logs and branches. All at PTO speed.

The tractor seems to regen itself every 30-40 hours. I just keep working and let it do its thing.

I wouldn't let the emissions thing swing you toward a tractor that may not suit your needs.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
I think tractor don’t have that many issues because of the constant RPM unlike a truck.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishing doesn't make it so. The reality is tractor fleet numbers are much smaller than truck fleet numbers. In other words there will be fewer problems by definition and the odds of hearing about them are also lower.

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
Wishing doesn't make it so. The reality is tractor fleet numbers are much smaller than truck fleet numbers. In other words there will be fewer problems by definition and the odds of hearing about them are also lower.

I agree that the tractor market is a lot smaller and don’t get near the hours as trucks do. Well.. I bought a used pre-emissions tractor and deleted my truck as soon as I got it. I work at 2 small fire depts and we have had issues with the emission equipment on a couple of trucks.
That being said we jump in them and go. They really get abused but that’s the way we have to operate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paparob

Jul 22, 2018
olympia
thanks everyone for all the replies, I'm feeling better about emissions and now trying to just choose what tractor I want without that in mind.

hiho silver

Equipment
Orange Tractor L3901
Nov 28, 2016
Midwest US
L3901 has seen regen at 33 and 72 hours. Well pleased so far. Glad I have the hp when needed vs 2501 or 3301.

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
L3901 has seen regen at 33 and 72 hours. Well pleased so far. Glad I have the hp when needed vs 2501 or 3301.
^THIS^; we have had zero issues with the L3901 after upgrading from an L2501, the increase in power, particularly at the PTO is dramatic. The L2501 would bog down bush hogging, particularly when it was hot. Have had 2 DPF regens, at 35 hours and 65 hours. At about 80 hours now. We have a lot of narrow spots in the woods here in the mountains of N GA and N AL and even with this size tractor have dinged it up some. Would love to have a 60hp or higher but just too big for our 2 pieces of land. I ran my neighbor's NH 6030 last weekend and what a luxurious ride but a mammoth beast. Of course he has 600 acres of land!

It was really easy to sell the L2501 on craigslist for about what we paid for it

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
I have a 2010 B3200 that does not have any add on emission stuff. I hope Kubota got it right and better than the automotive industry did. I can say that the DEF systems are a better set up than the regen type that burn off the soot. I hope I am wrong but being around this diesel emission stuf on Dodge/Cummins trucks and the VW debacle that TIME is not going to be a friend of those who have to buy the later diesels with all of the regen and particulate traps.
I bought a 2013 Jetta TDI wagon, new, for my wife knowing it had the regen stuff on it. It was constantly going through regen cycles. I was happy when we sold it back to VW!
I know several guys that drive line trucks and the "new and improved" diesel smog equipment leaves them stranded way more than any other pre smog truck.
I own a 2007 Dodge, 5.9 Cummins powered truck. It was one of the last of the 5.9's as it was built December 21, 2006. Any truck, Ford, Gm Dodge that was built after January 1, 2007 had to have all of the emission garbage put on.
The resale value of my Dodge 5.9 is just under what I paid for it out the door 11 years ago where a later emission equipped truck has slipped considerably.
The only redeeming factor with the Kubota and any other tractors equipped with all of the regen stuff is that at least right now, they don't have to be inspected every two years like my truck has to be, at least here in Commiefornia.
Long term Kubota owners might be wise to look into delete options.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Hmm. Delete options would be interesting. I wonder if you'd get more power without the filters? I'd assume these tractors burn reasonably clean anyway even without the filters, and generally there's not going to be anyone around you to breathe in whatever emissions you're putting out - tractors are probably the least likely equipment to be creating smog for anyone.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
as a owner of a 2008 dodge 6.7 and a b3350. i can say with experience. the automotive industry spends a lot more to get things right.
i ran the b3350 at full throttle, except for starting and shutdown. it was in the shop more than in my yard... out of a year i used it less than two months on the place... i lost a year of work and payments.
the dodge, 2x4 6sp auto. averaged 16-22 depending on the load. never had a issue. didn't worry about re-gens or anything.. it just ran... only reason i got rid of it, i wasn't hauling ot towing anymore and it was a pain to park (trying to keep the dings to a minimum).

only reason i stuck with kubota, all of my assessory equipment wouldn't fit other brands at that time.. (now they have adaptors).

paparob

Jul 22, 2018
olympia
I ended up with the L3901, I now have 23hrs on it and could not love it more. power to spare for a tractor this size, runs very quiet and I'm happy with the attachments and the price. I guess we'll have to see if long term works out ;)
Thanks again for all the replies

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Congrats on the new tractor I had a L3901 for a short time they are nice tractors.