Glow plugs not working correctly

Mr. Tidd

Equipment
L3710 hst
Nov 11, 2017
Linneus, Maine
I've been messing with this tractor for a year now. last winter was the first with my tractor (which is my first tractor). It has never started good in the cold. The glow plugs light was on all the time when I bought it. I replaced the controller, that fixed the light problem but not the starting. So I replaced the relay, that didn't do anything. I put a meter on the plugs and it sends 12 volts to them for a half a second and that's it. It's 12 degrees this morning here.

Last edited:

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
You'll need to check a service manual to get the correct specs for your tractor. Try grounding your water temp sensor and see how it affects the ON time of the plugs. You may have 2 sensors on the engine, one for your temp gauge and one for the glow plug controller.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Also look for the specs on the glow plugs. There should be an ohm reading within specs. Not sure what your is but on a B2601 its 0.9 ohms.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I've been messing with this tractor for a year now. last winter was the first with my tractor (which is my first tractor). It has never started good in the cold. The glow plugs light was on all the time when I bought it. I replaced the controller, that fixed the light problem but not the starting. So I replaced the relay, that didn't do anything. I put a meter on the plugs and it sends 12 volts to them for a half a second and that's it. It's 12 degrees this morning here.
Doing some research - seems that the controller might be the first place to look, but you replaced that. HAVE you checked each plug? One of those 4 might be "bad" causing the controller or the relay to get a false reading.

Pull the wiring tops of of each one and measure in OHM via your meter. If you find one that is not real close to 1 Ohm, time to replace that plug (If the case - replace them all!;))

Here is a wiring diagram - see if this helps:

Attachments

Last edited:

Mr. Tidd

Equipment
L3710 hst
Nov 11, 2017
Linneus, Maine
Thanks for the quick responses. I'll try all those things and let you know the out come. I did try running a heavy gage wire with a in line fuse directly from the battery and touched one of the straps connecting all the glow plugs together. It just sparked and blew the fuse. Probably wasn't the smartest idea but I was just trying to see if the plugs were working.

Mr. Tidd

Equipment
L3710 hst
Nov 11, 2017
Linneus, Maine
Doing some research - seems that the controller might be the first place to look, but you replaced that. HAVE you checked each plug? One of those 4 might be "bad" causing the controller or the relay to get a false reading.

Pull the wiring tops of of each one and measure in OHM via your meter. If you find one that is not real close to 1 Ohm, time to replace that plug (If the case - replace them all!;))

Here is a wiring diagram - see if this helps:
I took all the plugs out today and tested them. Sure enough one didn't work at all, one got hot by the threads not out on the tip and two worked correctly. Thanks again for the help. I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow to get some. Any idea if I should get after market ones or Kubota ones? Part numbers?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I took all the plugs out today and tested them. Sure enough one didn't work at all, one got hot by the threads not out on the tip and two worked correctly. Thanks again for the help. I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow to get some. Any idea if I should get after market ones or Kubota ones? Part numbers?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Get three more....not just one!

And I would spend a little extra - get Kubota ones.;)

Last edited:

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
If 2 have failed, personally I would replace all 4. Then you're starting from scratch and hopefully won't have the other 2 fail on you in a short time down the track.

Mr. Tidd

Equipment
L3710 hst
Nov 11, 2017
Linneus, Maine
Thanks for the responses. Ya I plan on buying all 4. The ngk number on the plugs I took out is a discontinued number. I looked all day online for a crossed number. Looks like I will be buying Kubota ones.