Global Warming

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
'warmer nights' could be attributed to the increased 'thermal mass' of concrete, shingles, concrete,steel, etc. used in the buildings and roads. Major concern is WHERE were the 'readings' taken.
I know our rainfall here and number of 'storms' has decreased since the intense building west of me (#401 +403 hwys ). 'Thermals' created there tend to split storms that go north or south of me now.....

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I, personally, won't argue that there is global changes. Even possibly global warming.
I have issues with those who claim that it was caused by internal combustion engines.
Yup!
It actually was caused by wood burning stoves.:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I believe the climate IS warming. It''s been doing so for quite some time. It's a bit childish to expect the warming to stop right at the point where the climate pleases us. Unless the textbooks are inaccurate, the Great Lakes were carved by glaciers. Glacial rubble is found well down into the continental USA.

My own observations (whether they have value or not) include ice skating on farm ponds pretty much all Winter in the mid to late 60's. I still recall when we were being warned of an impending Ice Age.

Too much hokey pokey with carbon credits and other skullduggery going on.

Reactions: 2 users

Watchmaker

Equipment
B2601 HST, LP RCR 1548, LA 435
Aug 20, 2015
New Hampshire
Hmmm. Seems most people grudgingly acknowledge global warming/climate change (which like it or not has been factually determined to be human caused; not just by IC but by the industrial revolution, population growth causing increased use of carbon resources, destruction of forests, etc).

Some have said "I have no control so I throw up my hands" while quoting religious texts (now banned in Utah, BTW). Whatever happened to "stewardship"?

So, whaddya gonna do; sit on your hands and whine and tell your kids they are on their own (look at birth rates in developed countries, below replacement, so our kids seem to know more than us).

Or, are you going to take EFFECTIVE action? Of course, you can always say you had no idea the price of bread was going to rise so much in 2024 because of all the wheat crop failures this year.

FWIW, I am of the opinion the EVs are more expensive in carbon release when you take into account the mining/processing of Li and the other heavy metals. Not to mention the near slave labor used to mine most of it. Certainly, replacing a perfectly good IC vehicle makes no sense given its carbon expense has already been paid.

BUT, if care about your kids and grandkids like you do your tractor, you would figure something out. Like I said earlier, even though I feel I am pissing into the wind, we are taking direct action to improve/protect the health of the NH forests (state is 90% forest). And I also am 70 years old.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
The sky is falling for every generation. It is in different forms for each generation.
@Watchmaker 's post reminds me of my parents generation of the stories of WWII and fear of Nazis and the Japanese Empire. In my generation of the 1960's and 70's it was the fear of communism and nukes.

Today, it's gender realization oppression, lol. Really!!? We've fallen that far: Nobody really gives a shit what one's sexual desires are, just don't force it onto children. That, and global warming.

The world didn't end in the 1940's, because good people with good intentions were able to solve the real or imagined problems of the time period. Many good men and women died. Millions. And we averted global communism or fascism.

Can we solve the theory of global warming through science? It's doubtful. The earth does its thing with or without man's intervention.

Last edited:

Watchmaker

Equipment
Aug 20, 2015
New Hampshire
The sky is falling for every generation. It is in different forms for each generation.
@Watchmaker 's post reminds me of my parents generation of the stories of WWII and fear of Nazis and the Japanese Empire. In my generation of the 1960's and 70's it was the fear of communism and nukes.

Today, it's gender realization oppression, lol. Really!!? We've fallen that far: Nobody really gives a shit what one's sexual desires are, just don't force it onto children. That, and global warming.

The world didn't end in the 1940's, because good people with good intentions were able to solve the real or imagined problems of the time period. Many good men and women died. Millions. And we averted global communism or fascism.

Can we solve the theory of global warming through science? It's doubtful. The earth does its thing with or without man's intervention.
You do realize that the sentiment expressed in your last paragraph is exactly the same as that of Coughlin, Lindberg, Ford, Amb Joseph Kennedy, and Watson (of IBM) (who received an Iron Cross for selling Hollerith cards and sorting machines that enabled the Holocaust)?

It is also the same fatalism of the artist I condemned in an earlier post.

Fortunately, there WERE men willing to spill their guts on a forsaken beach and never have a wife, sex or children to change things.

Sorry, but having lived thru bomb shelters, Domino theory, WMD, covid etc, the lesson for me is NOT to sit on my hands.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Maybe it’s too soon for some, but it seems the “Covid science” has been proven to be mostly a lie to accomplish political goals.

I think it’s time to admit other “science” might be, too. Sure, sometimes it is right, but it stands to reason that blindly following “science” without being able to discuss the proof is probably a bad idea.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Sorry, but having lived thru bomb shelters, Domino theory, WMD, covid etc, the lesson for me is NOT to sit on my hands.
That's respected and understood. But is climate change something we can actually change. Is it a real problem that mankind can change.
Or is it a symptom of the earth's cycles that can't be changed or altered because we just don't have the ability to change it and mankind never actually caused it in the first place.
No questions. Just statements.
I can appreciate that there are those that believe in Gore and the GW philosophy as though it is caused by mankind.

I do not accept that as fact. Mankind's machines or population didn't cause it.

It's just the cycles of the earth.

Man's science can't change the direction of the wind. Nor can it stop it. Same application.

Bottom line, frankly, is most people just don't believe that GW is caused by mankind. The governments and the haters of mankind and others who profit from perceived tragedy love the idea of GW as a solvable problem to gain power and control.

I don't place you in any of those categories because I don't know you. But I respectfully disagree with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Watchmaker

Equipment
Aug 20, 2015
New Hampshire
That's respected and understood. But is climate change something we can actually change. Is it a real problem that mankind can change.
Or is it a symptom of the earth's cycles that can't be changed or altered because we just don't have the ability to change it and mankind never actually caused it in the first place.
No questions. Just statements.
I can appreciate that there are those that believe in Gore and the GW philosophy as though it is caused by mankind.

I do not accept that as fact. Mankind's machines or population didn't cause it.

It's just the cycles of the earth.

Man's science can't change the direction of the wind. Nor can it stop it. Same application.

Bottom line, frankly, is most people just don't believe that GW is caused by mankind. The governments and the haters of mankind and others who profit from perceived tragedy love the idea of GW as a solvable problem to gain power and control.

I don't place you in any of those categories because I don't know you. But I respectfully disagree with you.
I agree with much of what you said. But, the studies of ice cores and tree rings dispute the premise that this is "just the cycles of earth". And even if that was the case, if a wildfire is coming down the mountain, do you say "that is just the cycle of nature" or do you take effective action?

Not going to play "hearts and flowers" about why I am the way I am, I just refuse to go down without a fight.

None of us here is helpless. I do know that the overload of information and the accuracy of the predictions from 20 years ago and since is overwhelming. Particularly for those of us who already have too much on our plates. We can see the despair in the young adult suicide rates and the low birth rates.

I will not live to see the worst that may well come. I agree that we pissed away precious time over the 40 years since the alarm was first raised by Exxon itself. But if nothing else, we can raise our voices and restrict our dollars to politicians (whom few if any qualify as leaders in my book).

I am trying to remind us all that even when there was no hope, humans have overcome.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Lets see,, back in the early 70's it was doom and gloom about the beginning of a new ice age and it was going to be the end of everything we knew

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Lets see,, back in the early 70's it was doom and gloom about the beginning of a new ice age and it was going to be the end of everything we knew
That is correct. It was on the headline of US NEWS and WORLD REPORT and other magazines, but you can't fine those stories anywhere on the internet now. It's all been scrubbed. They told us in 30 years it would be too cold to exist!!!

Facts change truth does not.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
So I guess I’m grouchy at them too. They were also slave owners
John Adams and his son, John Quincy Adams never owned slaves and publicly opposed slavery. (See the movie “Amistad’ for a true representation of Adams argument before the Supreme Court.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas

That is correct. It was on the headline of US NEWS and WORLD REPORT and other magazines, but you can't fine those stories anywhere on the internet now. It's all been scrubbed. They told us in 30 years it would be too cold to exist!!!

Facts change truth does not.
IN the ‘60s/70’s the biggest fear was Nuclear-Winter…and before the effects of CO2 were widely known.
The SALT treaties relaxed concerns about Nuclear-Winter somewhat (although it can certainly still occur.)

That doesn‘t make deniers correct.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
…. The governments taught in universities just a few hundred years ago that the earth was flat. We know how that worked out. Your government isn't all-knowing. And they do lie to us.

There is someone in control. And it's not us. It's the Being that created you. God.

Roman's 1: 22 - 25
RELIGIOUS Universities….and Popes,…and other religion nuts. Quoting a religious text such as the Bible does not make you smart.

Smart observers of the universe knew for centuries before Columbus that the Earth was not flat. Anyone who looked at the moon could see it’s the shadow of the Earth that makes it a Crescent most nights. Doh.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I, personally, won't argue that there is global changes. Even possibly global warming.
I have issues with those who claim that it was caused by internal combustion engines.

Yeah… I’m glad you pointed that out…because External Combustion Engines were first and worse. :ROFLMAO:

I’ve never heard Global Warming blamed on “internal combustion engines”. You made that up.

It’s been blamed on the release of Carbon, primarily by burning fossil fuels, Coal being one of the worst offenders. I don’t know of many internal combustion engines that burn coal…. which WAS tied-up since the Carboniferous Period (300 million years ago)… which we are now digging up and burning, releasing incredible amounts of carbon back into the atmosphere.

Let’s stop believing stupid, OK?

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Science doesn't care what you believe. It always amazes me when seemingly intelligent people mix pseudo science into politics.

I seem to prefer facts:
Temperatures in Connecticut have risen almost 3.5°F since the beginning of the 20th century (Figure 1). The greatest number of hot days occurred during the last two multiyear periods (2010–2014 and 2015–2020; Figure 2a). The number of warm nights has been consistently above the long-term (1895–2020) average since 1995; the most recent multiyear period had the second-highest average (Figure 3). The number of very cold nights has been below average since the mid-1980s, with the lowest multiyear average occurring during the 2010–2014 period (Figure 4).
Have you ever seen the factual, scientifically collected temperature charts going back a million years? They go up and down like a roller coaster not at all out of the ordinary for what we are experiencing today.
The charts presented for the "global warming" then "climate change" argument selectively use a tiny part of that big chart to indicate an alarming rise in temperature in order to trigger emotional responses and illogical actions based on fear.

Same tactic was used very recently with COVID

So yeah it amazes me when seemingly intelligent people lose their minds as soon as emotion(fear) takes over.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Rough day Geo?

I'm praying for you too.

Screenshot_20230605_182114_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Nova scotia record low rain in april and may. worst recorded wild fires. weather has been incredibly warm and beautiful. most of my summer work is already done. no blackflies few bugs of anykind. I guess el nino will keep the north east cooler than normal this summer,