GF1800 PTO Cutting Out

KuB6000

Equipment
B6000
May 7, 2009
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just bought a GF1800 today with mower deck and snowblower. Hooked up the snowblower, and made it about 1.5 feet before the PTO disengaged (by itself). The PTO lever linkage seems to be working fine....so I believe the problem is internal (I think this has a hydraulic wet clutch). The motor didn't pull down at all, so it wasn't working hard. Shutting the mower off, and starting it again seems to reset whatever is tripping and allows me to go again. It went further the second, and third and fourth time, but the problem persists. I have seen this problem described in this forum and elsewhere.....but I haven't seen any solutions. Any thoughts? I bought it from a dealer, so hopefully they will stand behind it, but technically it doesn't have warranty.

KuB6000

Equipment
B6000
May 7, 2009
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I may have found the answer.

The dealer changed the hydraulic fluid for me. If you take care, to pull the dispstick out perfectly straight, there is no oil on the dipstick. Most of the time the dipstick hits the side of the tube, and then it looks like there is oil. It fooled me quite a few times because I was noticing only one side of the stick was wet. I suspect it fooled the mechanic too. Hopefully when I get some more everything works....

KuB6000

Equipment
B6000
May 7, 2009
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I topped up the oil. That wasn't the solution. Does anyone have any ideas? It seems to cut out as soon as the tractor has to work. After it cuts out, I turn off the PTO. If I re-engage it immediately, the PTO will not work. But if I wait a bit, it will re-engage. Also, it re-engages whenever I stop the engine and start it back up again.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Was it working before you had the dealer service it?

KuB6000

Equipment
B6000
May 7, 2009
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I just bought it from the dealer, so I can't say if it was working before the hydraulic oil was changed. That was a condition of the sale. The dealer has told me they will take care of the problem for me. It's just a pain to trailer this back to them. I was hoping it was a simple problem. I've read of it two or three places on the internet, but no repairs are mentioned.