General question about brands

djm1204

Equipment
L4600 HST, FEL, Root Rake, Land Pride Grapple, Two way radio
Aug 11, 2014
Dunnellon, FL, USA
New to the whole tractor owning thing - so a general question - is there or are there brands of attachments to absolutely stay away from ? Certain brands that are the best value for the dollar spent ?

I was also wondering about the attachments that Tractor Supply and Rural King stores sell ?

Thanks for any-everyone's input and recommendations - shared experiences

Dan

ps the tractor is an L-4600

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
With a tractor of your size your going to want to stay in the higher end equipment side of things, you will just tear up cheaply made implements.

Most farm stores sell a range of low to high end equipment, you will notice light weights and light steel content on low end equipment.

Brand names are usually best, but not always a set factor. I've seen some of the smaller name equipment surpass the quality of some of the larger named companies.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
With a tractor of your size your going to want to stay in the higher end equipment side of things, you will just tear up cheaply made implements.

Most farm stores sell a range of low to high end equipment, you will notice light weights and light steel content on low end equipment.

Brand names are usually best, but not always a set factor. I've seen some of the smaller name equipment surpass the quality of some of the larger named companies.
Also, the big brand name companies tend to make different grades of their equipment for different price points.

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
Tractor supply, or Northern Tools?
Not bad for dumb implements like maybe a box blade, or a boom pole.

If you're talking about a grapple, tiller, bush hog, I'd personally spring for some better built brands.

I have a much smaller tractor but for my 48" bush hog, I can look at my gearbox and frame of my cutter, and compare it to the Tractor Supply version. There is no comparison. Mine is much heavier, bigger framework, larger gearbox etc. If you plan to work your implements hard, save a little and buy once cry once.

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
Tractor supply, or Northern Tools?
Not bad for dumb implements like maybe a box blade, or a boom pole.

If you're talking about a grapple, tiller, bush hog, I'd personally spring for some better built brands.

I have a much smaller tractor but for my 48" bush hog, I can look at my gearbox and frame of my cutter, and compare it to the Tractor Supply version. There is no comparison. Mine is much heavier, bigger framework, larger gearbox etc. If you plan to work your implements hard, save a little and buy once cry once.
This answer is spot on. I've never had a problem buying top end equipment and being satisfied with the results. You did buy a Kubota for that reason, right? Ed B

djm1204

Equipment
Aug 11, 2014
Dunnellon, FL, USA
Yes - absolutely I bought a Kubota for a reason.

I completely understand & agree with buy once - cry once - does that mean just Kubota attachments ? I guess what I was looking for was to hear peoples success stories finding a brand of accessories that are quality made but perhaps not as expensive.

I have every intention of buying once

Thanks

Dan

HighSierra79

Equipment
B7100d, M6800 w/FEL, 7' mower, 7' box blade, 42" LP tiller, 5' rake
Sep 1, 2013
MO
Do some online research, garner a fair amount of info, then hawk craigslist to try and nab a deal on some "general" implements to start.

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
Not limited to Kubota equipment, no. Plenty of good brands. Read here or tractorbynet on whatever implement you're looking at.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Colety

Equipment
BX25D-R with loaded tires, pallet forks, landscape rake and rear blade.
Jul 11, 2014
Arlington, VT
Other than OEM items, in the end you are going to get what you pay for. All my implements are Woods or Land Pride and though you pay top dollar, they will last as long as my tractor. There are other good brands out there certainly but with these two I have found the elusive combination of well built products and great customer service.

New to the whole tractor owning thing - so a general question - is there or are there brands of attachments to absolutely stay away from ? Certain brands that are the best value for the dollar spent ?

I was also wondering about the attachments that Tractor Supply and Rural King stores sell ?

Thanks for any-everyone's input and recommendations - shared experiences

Dan

ps the tractor is an L-4600

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
If you tell us what implement-implements you are looking at, it is easier to recommend something. You also need to get implements that are matched properly to the size-power of your tractor.

Just because it's a name brand doesn't mean that it's the right implement for you. These guys have different levels of implements for different peoples needs. You need to properly match the implement to the chore and what it's being used behind.

I think that typically you would find that the general store stuff is for light duty use.

Get us some specific types of implements that you are considering or at least what it is that you are wanting to accomplish and we can get you some recommendations.;)

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
I have no experience with Land Pride. I bought a Woods finishing mower at the Kubota after looking at the Land Pride. The only other high dollar implement I have is a Frontier (JD) tiller. Next up is a grapple and I haven't decided on which one. Little more research needed. Ed B

djm1204

Equipment
Aug 11, 2014
Dunnellon, FL, USA
Not necessarily in sequence of purchase - but I will need

* a brush hog mower
* post hole digger
* landscape rake
* grapple

I will be maintaining between 30 - 40 acres of property - eventually fencing the entire property in - initially fencing an inner perimeter of about 4 acres, there are a lot of pine trees on the property now - many will have to be removed - in addition to a substantial amount of underbrush.

I will be maintaining - at least for a year or two a somewhat hard packed sand access roadway/path of about 1000'

General maintenance of the property, eventually may get a finish mower for a few acres of the property.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
An old man told me one time, get the best you can afford, pick your color and go play

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
As stated before, many of the manufacturers have different price points. I looked at Woods, bush hog, and briefly land pride for cutters. For your bush hog, pick a decent brand, check out it's warranty, the thickness of the deck, etc. Then since your machine is bigger than mine you'll probably need to decide slip clutch or shear pin. Each has their advantages. Be warned that if you go the slip clutch route, it's recommended to do some preventative maintenance on it regularly so that it actually slips when you need it to.

For my baby tractor most vendors only offered a shear pin. Fine and not a problem for me, but if the wife ever gets out there, she may whack something and then it's down until I fix it. I searched around and found one with a slip clutch on my 48". Paid a little more, but for my purposes it will do what I need.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
For the brush hog you might want to look into Modern Agriculture. They galvanize the whole deck of the implement (except for the 4 foot model).

I have the 4 foot model and it is well built, although it does hold water on it's deck. Not sure why they don't think about that in the design.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Talk to your dealer. Dealers like to sell implements that don't come back to them. They value you as a long term customer more than as a quick sale of an inferior product. When I ask my dealer about different brands, he starts talking about quality reductions over the years, service problems, parts availability, minimum orders, etc. After selling tractors and implements for 40+ years he has a pretty good feel for what will get him into trouble. He likes Land Pride.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK Im going out on a limb here,,, Someplace I read and I thought it was in the Kubota site someplace, ( I have been looking but I cant find it) that the big"K" was working with several companies so their equipment would be compatable with Kubota machines and give good service. And the first one mentioned was Land Pride, so base on this artical, the big "K" has their fingers in the pie someplace. None the less you cant go wrong with the landpride monicar,, just MHO you understand