Gear whissing sound in bell housing - B7100

farmerjack

Equipment
b7001
May 18, 2013
Putlitz, Germany
Hey Guys,

Have a question related to a noise l have only recently noticed. When l drive my tracker (B7100) l get a whissing gear noise coming from the bell housing. With the engine off l pushed the tractor in the garage and l could hear that it was for sure coming from that area. (not the front diff and uni joints - as l first thought) Its not a grindy metallic sound but more "plastic" gear sound if that makes sense. Also if l engage the clutch and push the tractor a bit - same thing.

Should add all else runs wonderful...clutch gears ect are fine...

What is this!!?...is it something to do with the starter motor free riding on the flywheel? (pinion adjustment needed?) - my only guess so far.

Would like to know as it does't seem normal for the tractor to make this noise with gear in neutral and with the clutch engaged. All should turn smoothly - l would hope!

Love this forum...been a great help in the past...any help is much appreciated!

Cheers Mark

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Only thought that comes to mind is throw out bearing is going bad and/or is riding on the pressure plate all the time.

farmerjack

Equipment
b7001
May 18, 2013
Putlitz, Germany
Thanks North Idaho Wolfman....yes you might be right. The starter motor idea was a stab in the dark from me.
Used the tractor today, l would say its getting louder and worse. I'm guessing this is quite a job to take the tractor apart. Question is...should l just run it this summer or is this something l should get fixed asap as to not destroy other components?

Thanks for the advise....

Cheers
Mark

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would get it fixed as so as possible, it can cause some costly damage if it goes out completely.
It's not too hard of a job to do with just simple hand tools if you have the space to split it and minor mechanical knowledge.