Gear heads,,,help

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well the OL has been on me to change plugs and wires cap and rotor in her Durango,,, OK got everything plugs did need changcd wire on the floor, on to the rotor cap,, which in the BACK of the motor against the freekin fire wall... OK those little freekin screws are rusted in place,,, LPS the shit out of them,, let them sit,,,, one came out tight but out,,, the other broke off right at the base of the distributor base plate,, So yes I have a broken screw in the plate,, and no theres no way I can get the distributor out with out taking more of the shit off under the hood,, And theres not a lot of room for my fat ass under there,, So anybody have an idea how to get this freekin thing out,, theres not enough room for a drill motor,, some days i just want to screeeeeeeeeem
Modify message

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Skeets,

I feel your pain - BTDT on something else much like that.

You have any "kids" around that a somewhat savy in something like this - they can climb their skinny ass up the no problem!? The right angle adapter is a great idea by Bruce, and cheap, I have used them in other tight places and it works somewhat well.

I have a feeling you are gonna need to remove some other stuff to get to those screws!!!!

best of luck!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Nope, pull it out. I know its not what you want to hear. Let air out of front tires, or pull wheels and park front end pretty much on ground. Will make it a little more comfy to work on.
It my life's story,man. Very rare i get an easy fix. Broken teeny screws suck. Or go redneck and run. Heavy zip tie around the whole works. I know its redneck, but a tiny bead of silicone to seal cap and a tie wrap around it will keep it snug.

Gm hei ignition caps were held on with L shaped bits and springs.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I have an air right angle die grinder that I made a drill chuck fit onto, sometimes that will work in tight places. Snap on also has an air right angle drill, that is tiny, and has screw on drill bits, that really save space, I once drilled out a couple snapped off exhaust manifold studs, with the manifold still on, on my brother's bimmer, a coupla years ago.

You could always get a friend to help take the hood off, and attack it from a more roomy open air position...:D:D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
I modified a chuck to fit my 1/4" air ratchet. image.jpg its shorter than most angle drills. Was a 1/4 " extension i threaded in my lathe. Super slick.

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
Tooljunkie said:
.... Or go redneck and run. Heavy zip tie around the whole works. I know its redneck, but a tiny bead of silicone to seal cap and a tie wrap around it will keep it snug.
That's the way I would fix it. One screw back in zip tie it and move on.

Last edited by a moderator:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I admit defeat , the car has me beaten,, so Monday I call the mechanic and see if he can fix it, if not to find a shop that can,,,
I am so depressed

Been there with the zip ties,, but since she will be driving it one day, I dont want it winding up on the side of the road some place or worse on the interstate getting run over by a big truck

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
I think about my 80 power wagon with two little clips holding cap on. I have trouble with it getting wet from time to time. A bead of silicone solved that issue, and before that you could wiggle the cap around. A heavy tie wrap around cap tower and around stem like a figure 8 and its not coming loose without side cutters. A challenge to tie it down i would think.

My money is on the local mechanic installing a good used or new distributor. It will be very difficult to get that screw out. Bet that dist is 100 or less.checked rockauto, $62.00 canadian dollars. Reman usually comes with cap and rotor.cheaper to swap dist than extract broken screw.

Last edited:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Maybe skeets is still looking for a mechanic old enough to know what a distributor is.:rolleyes:;):D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I'm waiting for the OLs grand daughters Hubbie,, he is suppose to be a super mech and builds hot rods and says he knows all about this and can fix it in jig time,, its 14:30 now and he still aint here,,, I hope he is as good as he thinks he is,,,lol

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
WELL Larry he showed up looked and said have you got channel locks,,,yeah he pulled the oil pressure sensor out ,,,,a 9/16 box had the plate off,,, pryed the distrubitor out,,, said hmmmmm... got his phone out i said what are you doing,,he said looking just incase i cant get this fixed,,, You got a drill yeah,, small drills ,,yeah ok,,, I said wait you want to use the drill press,,, helll yeah he says,,, 3 bit sizes later he is running a tap to clean up the hole,, back to the car,,he puts it back in rotor and cap,, I have to take a leak and by the time i got back he had the wires on,,, and said try it... BINGO fired right up,,, 1 hour and 27 min he had it fixed timed and on the road,,, took it out for a spin it runs good ,, and I found on a back road a 1971 Seabring sitting in a guys drive way,, we were going to stop up but there were about a dozen no trespassing signs along the drive way,,,, so i dont thnk he wanted company,,, anyway its running,, I gave the kid 100 bucks,, and he looked at my like I had two head,, he said what this for and i said you earned it,, and thank you,,,it runs,,yeahhhh

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
WELL Larry he showed up looked and said have you got channel locks,,,yeah he pulled the oil pressure sensor out ,,,,a 9/16 box had the plate off,,, pryed the distrubitor out,,, said hmmmmm... got his phone out i said what are you doing,,he said looking just incase i cant get this fixed,,, You got a drill yeah,, small drills ,,yeah ok,,, I said wait you want to use the drill press,,, helll yeah he says,,, 3 bit sizes later he is running a tap to clean up the hole,, back to the car,,he puts it back in rotor and cap,, I have to take a leak and by the time i got back he had the wires on,,, and said try it... BINGO fired right up,,, 1 hour and 27 min he had it fixed timed and on the road,,, took it out for a spin it runs good ,, and I found on a back road a 1971 Seabring sitting in a guys drive way,, we were going to stop up but there were about a dozen no trespassing signs along the drive way,,,, so i dont thnk he wanted company,,, anyway its running,, I gave the kid 100 bucks,, and he looked at my like I had two head,, he said what this for and i said you earned it,, and thank you,,,it runs,,yeahhhh

Aint nuttin' like money well spent!!!!! A C-note and a smile - P R I C E L E S S :)

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Well skeets sounds like you are all set with a mechanic in the family to keep the Durango running another 10 years. I think the C-note was a really good idea, maybe it will help get him to do the whole tune up the next time. I don't miss perching on top of the air cleaner to work on distributors and change plug wires:):):).

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
It is such a pleasure to find someone who knows what he is doing, especially in today's "I don't want to get my hands dirty, smart phone centered, all book learnin", no common sense" world. Glad it turned out so well, gotta keep that boy around!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
It is indeed,,, I was standing on a 6x6 to get in the back of the motor he shows up with his freekin long ass gorilla arms feet flat on the floor, he done good and the OL is happpppppy

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
It is indeed,,, I was standing on a 6x6 to get in the back of the motor he shows up with his freekin long ass gorilla arms feet flat on the floor, he done good and the OL is happpppppy
You can't beat that a mechanic and a knuckle dragger.:D:D:D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Throwing him a hundred (5000 canadian) is money well spent. He has a talent you can utilize,and that cash will inspire him to come back and help you out with other things.

Used to say to a few,"pay me what you think its worth-its directly relevant if i do anything for you again"
I guarantee he will be willing to help you again.

Glad you got it going.