GC54 grass catcher on GF1800 with RC60 deck.

HerbP

May 27, 2017
Calgary, AB, Canada
I normally just mulch my clippings but the spring cleanup and fall cleanup still involved a lot of raking that I wanted nothing to do with. I had kept an old MTD riding mower around only because it had a grass-catcher however, it finally died after serving me well for 12 years.

Anyway, on the local buy&sell, I found a GC54-24B grass catcher from a belly-mount mower on a B2320. The guy only wanted $250 for it so I went for it.

First problem I encountered is that, because the GC54 has a driveshaft that connects to a gearbox on the far right spindle of the deck, I needed the gearbox. Fortunately, the seller was happy to include the gearbox in the deal since he didn't need it anymore. That was good news because Kubota wants $1400 for the gearbox alone. Have I mentioned how predatory Kubota is?

My mower is a GF1800 with a front-mount deck so I had to fab some bracketry out of scrap that I had laying around in order to mount the blower unit. An afternoon of noise-making and I had some basic bracketry that held the blower. It went surprisingly well.

For the bags I had already previously made a mount for my older double-bag setup so I decided to just use that for the time being. The 3pt hitch mount of the triple bag setup that came with the GC54 was going to take some more thinking so I went with what I already had mocked up. I just need to extend the chute because it's not quite long enough to reach.

Hope this helps someone. I'm pleased with how well it works to be honest. Though the double-bags sure do fill up fast.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Nice adaptation. Looks like you have the difficult part completed. The bags can be made to mount with a lot of lea-way. You could even put a small dump trailer back there!

HerbP

May 27, 2017
Calgary, AB, Canada
One of my biggest regrets is getting the 2WD GF1800 instead of the 4WD. So when both bags are full, the front wheels have almost no traction. Given that my land has a slight slope, it's difficult to get back up the hill. That's another reason I'm in no hurry to be putting three bags back there and I can't imagine things would be much better with a dump trailer.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Maybe you'll have to come up with some flex tube and make a basket that sets on the mower deck, but low enough you can see OK, and make it so it tips to the side to dump..