Garden question

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Is any one having problems with their green pepper plants? Mine started out like a house a fire, super healthy plants strong stocks and deep green leaves buds and blossoms,, and then over the last week or so,, wilty leaves and very sickly. Tomatoes look wonderful so far but these peppers have me confused.

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
I'm having the same issue with my green peppers. My sweet banana peppers are growing great along with everything else I've planted. Green peppers though look ROUGH.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Any chance you've got Black Walnut 'remains' mixed into the soil or a tree nearby ? bad..
Have you added drywall to the soil ? good
What 'amendments' have you added to the soil recently(from last fall ?)

I was offered 1000 plants last week,almost took them till I found out they're all HOT peppers,so my new 1/4ac patch is still bare.

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
I do have two black walnut trees but they are probably at least 50 yards away from the garden. How does black walnut negatively affect peppers?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
No black walnuts with in 1/4 mile, soil limed lightly, just the same compost some lime some 10, 10 , 10 just always nothing crazy, so I dont know

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I do have two black walnut trees but they are probably at least 50 yards away from the garden. How does black walnut negatively affect peppers?
I think the toxins from a walnut tree are generally within the drip edge. Certain plants do not do well under them though. Some do fine near them though. Peppers not so much. But would need to be close to the drip edge I think…maybe not? Regarding the leaves turning / wilting…how long they been in the ground since transplanting? Root shock? Or water? Soil nutrients? Disease? Cultivating to close to them could do it if you get the roots by accident. When I think of the root shock…I would think they would maybe be a yellowish and then you would know either water or nutrients…if wilting, I am not sure…I would not water them in the direct light…don’t want them to be scorched.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
No black walnuts with in 1/4 mile, soil limed lightly, just the same compost some lime some 10, 10 , 10 just always nothing crazy, so I dont know
If you continually plant peppers and tomatoes in the same location, this can develop a virus condition in the soil. They should be rotated every year to new locations. Since peppers and tomatoes are both in the same plant family, it applies to both species.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Why not send a soil sample to local state ag station for analysis. Here The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station not only analyzes your sample but also gives recommendations for soil supplements based on what you tell them you are planting there.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
poison is juglone, it's in 100% of the plant,can stay in ground for years. Big problem with adding 'mulch' is you have to be 100% sure NO black walnut pieces are in it.
juglone affects / kills a lot of veggies so best to read up about it.
'drip line' is misleading... rainstorm can blow/desposit tainted water far away from 'drip line'

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
The pepper plants in my garden, bell, jalapeno, and a few others look OK. I picked a couple of banana peppers the other day.
My youngest kid dug up some new ground in an old cattle lot. The soil is mostly decomposed manure. Out of 20 plants, they all died shortly after being planted.

• Sad

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Any chance you've got Black Walnut 'remains' mixed into the soil or a tree nearby ? bad..
Have you added drywall to the soil ? good
What 'amendments' have you added to the soil recently(from last fall ?)

I was offered 1000 plants last week,almost took them till I found out they're all HOT peppers,so my new 1/4ac patch is still bare.
Soil amendments are dependent on soil type and ph level. Not that gypsum is bad to add as it doesn't effect pH much. It does add calcium and sulfur to the soil, but lasts for several years. It also counter acts aluminum uptake, another benefit. I do this every few years and supplement with lime every other year.
I think the best advice would be to have your soil tested and go from there.

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
I think the toxins from a walnut tree are generally within the drip edge. Certain plants do not do well under them though. Some do fine near them though. Peppers not so much. But would need to be close to the drip edge I think…maybe not? Regarding the leaves turning / wilting…how long they been in the ground since transplanting? Root shock? Or water? Soil nutrients? Disease? Cultivating to close to them could do it if you get the roots by accident. When I think of the root shock…I would think they would maybe be a yellowish and then you would know either water or nutrients…if wilting, I am not sure…I would not water them in the direct light…don’t want them to be scorched.
Good to know about the black walnut. I planted the peppers around mothers day. First time planting them in the spot they are in since i tore up/expanded the garden spot this year. We will see what happens. Everything else has took off like crazy.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good to know about the black walnut. I planted the peppers around mothers day. First time planting them in the spot they are in since i tore up/expanded the garden spot this year. We will see what happens. Everything else has took off like crazy.
I believe pecan trees are similar in that they pt out a toxin as well(maybe same family but I don’t remember)…anyway both can be a problem to grown stuff around them…but it depends…many things will do just fine.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Soil amendments are dependent on soil type and ph level. Not that gypsum is bad to add as it doesn't effect pH much. It does add calcium and sulfur to the soil, but lasts for several years. It also counter acts aluminum uptake, another benefit. I do this every few years and supplement with lime every other year.
I think the best advice would be to have your soil tested and go from there.
It depends on what part of the country you’re in. Most western soils are alkaline so we add sulfur instead of gypsum.

Reactions: 1 users

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
It seems to me that the row peppers that I planted next to the tomatoes didn't do as well as the rest. I also don't like to plant peppers where tomatoes were the previous year.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
The big problem I see with most veggie gardens is that the gardeners do not replenish the soil. You NEED to annually add compost, manure,kitchen scraps,leaves, grass clippings, etc.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Well, if Farming Simulator '19 is factual at all then the soil needs analyzed first. Then you adjust the soil chemistry based on the analysis and the target crop.

Me... I plant seeds and see what survives. The stuff that is happy gets planted again. Nitrogen replenishment comes via Great Dane shit.

Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Well, if Farming Simulator '19 is factual at all
🤣🤣🤣

you need to upgrade to 2022, son tells me they are getting a kubota update the end of this month 😂 but right now he’s out joy riding his real kubota 🤣

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I'm waiting to catch it at 50% off. Lotsa reviews saying it's a warmed over '19 with an emphasis on in-game purchases... which I hate.