G5200 Blow By and Deck PTO Cable

eldudderino

Equipment
G5200H
Mar 21, 2024
Illinois
Finally got this G5200 running after it had been sitting for several years. After it got warmed up, I noticed the breather tube that is affixed to the valve cover was leaking oil. It was absolutely puking oil all over the ground. I shut it off, waited and then started it back up again. After it idled for several minutes, it stopped leaking oil out of it. Yes, the oil level remained the same in the engine..But it is still blowing out what appears to be vapor with a hint of white smoke..I attached a picture of the video I took. I could not upload the video due to the format and size. I know some blow by is normal but I am not sure about this.

Also, the deck PTO cable that moves a tensioner at the front of the engine appears to be seized. Can anyone link me to the part for this? Or if there are any tips on how to fix the issue that would be great.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
That blow-by is a result of those rings being unused for a long while.

This sounds a bit crazy - but work the engine - run it near WOT and work it - hopefully it will loosen those rings and the smoke will die down. That oil is a mixture of steam, unburned diesel and particulates.

Is it hard to start? I would think with that much blow by it has lost a good bit of compression.

eldudderino

Equipment
G5200H
Mar 21, 2024
Illinois
That blow-by is a result of those rings being unused for a long while.

This sounds a bit crazy - but work the engine - run it near WOT and work it - hopefully it will loosen those rings and the smoke will die down. That oil is a mixture of steam, unburned diesel and particulates.

Is it hard to start? I would think with that much blow by it has lost a good bit of compression.
Nope, she fired right up. Took a bit the first time to keep it running but it also sat for so long. After the first start up, it fires up perfectly.

johndeerebones

Equipment
B7200 HST-D RC-60-72, L4200 GST MFWD with FEL
Aug 17, 2020
USA
I'd pull the glow plugs and soak the cylinders with Sea-foam, Marvel Mystery Oil, Diesel Fuel, etc for ~24 hours. Then crank it to blow it out before reinstalling. Then change the oil. Sounds like your rings are stuck (usually carbon or burnt oil or both) . Hard running might unstick them, soaking will. with added benefit of lubing the cylinders. Exhaust will be colored for a bit, once it burns the soak out, it'll clear.