G1800 blowing oil

lost

Jun 7, 2012
Michigan
Hi all I have been searching the site found many answers and just want to ask what would be best rout to go. Have a G1800 with 1276 hours on it and it is blowing about 1-quart of oil per 30-45 minutes of mowing out the tube at top of valve cover.

If I run it at Half Throttle It only blows about half quart in a hour or so. I am assuming this is valves or rings.

what would be the best way to figure out which it is? I have not checked compression yet It starts great runs strong as ever no blue smoke what so ever from exhaust.

Money is tight so trying to pin point problem rather then just complete rebuild.
Thanks for any and all advice.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Well I've got some good news for you, it's unlikely to be the valves or the rings or you'd be seeing running issues as well. I'd guess either the motor is overfull of oil or there's a problem with the baffles in the draft tube (also called a breather tube). If it was overfull of oil inspect either end of the crankshaft for oil leaks as it's possible pressure in the crankcase pushed them out and damaged them. The breather is accessible from inside the valve cover. A parts manual is available at Kubotabooks.com, just search breather once you get it open.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
You might consider getting an oil analysis done, which can pinpoint problem areas based on the type of metal in the oil.

Last edited:

lost

Jun 7, 2012
Michigan
I see what you are talking about Stumpy I will look into this first might just solve my problem thanks everyone for the advice I will post back with my results.

Anyone know about the old Areins I got one can't remember model off hand it has a two cylinder air cooled diesel in it that has low fuel pressure on one injector figure the injector pump is at fault can one rebuild the pump or have to find a new one? so far the local repair shops say they cannot find one lol.

Last edited:

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
Don't know what motor is on that unit, but on my D950 the hydraulic pump seal can go bad, thus allowing hydraulic fluid to get into the engine, and then overfill the oil reservoir and run out of the breather tube.

lost

Jun 7, 2012
Michigan
I took it apart and all looks good in the breather mesh and plate's in good shape. I let it run for a while with valve cover off and after it got warmed up I began to see what looks like allot of blow by coming up around rocker push rods. I will have to get a compression gauge to check it out i guess.

Is there any place to buy parts online that are a little more reasonable price then at dealers?

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Messicks will have usually have the small parts at reasonable prices but larger items like castings, clutch discs are cheaper else where. Check the compression, it's as good a bet as any though if it's running without smoking I still think something else is going on.

lost

Jun 7, 2012
Michigan
I will be checking compression before any hasty decisions but when i fired it up this morning I seen a good bit of blue smoke out exhaust for about a minute or so.

I will take a video tomorrow of the breather tube when I start it no nothing and as it warms up it gets a steady stream of blue smoke out the tube then one good and warm it stops the smoke and just oil dripping at a pretty good rate.

Also I was messing with it today stuck my thumb over the end of the tube and it built up so much pressure it blew the plastic end cap out of the injector pump within 30-45 seconds.

lost

Jun 7, 2012
Michigan
Update and Question we after a test we decided to put in new piston rings sounded easy enough lol. We found that they no longer make the rings for to pistons that are in this old girl and we would have to buy the updated pistons which have a thinner to grove. any how we just could not toss almost 500 bucks at it. so we sent a piston and set of rings to Hastings and low and behold they have a set of rings for us. Get this 78.00 bucks for all three sets shipped to door. sure better then 74.00 per cylinder Now my QQQ looking up ring end gaps and i see

Piston Ring End Gap (RV): 0.017

Piston Ring End Gap (AL): 0.035

I know I will feel dumb here but what does the RV and AL stand for also I called Kubota dealer they said nothing on the Rv AL but told me end gaps 1.2mm compression ring and .9 oil ring If I got that right that would be like .047 that's allot isn't it? and thanks for all the advice I appreciate the heck out of it.

lost

Jun 7, 2012
Michigan
Never mind got it figured out called Hastings and was told anywhere from .008 to .016 will be fine so will go with that.