Fuel tank--where are the normal and reserve outlets located?

CallMeChaz

Equipment
looking
Oct 5, 2019
South Pittsburg, TN
I'm cleaning the crud from my fuel tank with the tank in place. Does anyone know the internal arrangement of the reserve outlet and the normal outlet in the fuel tank? With the fuel level sender removed, I can see one outlet in the bottom center of the tank. I would assume it is the reserve, since it is flush with the bottom. I expect to see another "stand-pipe" outlet that is raised an inch or so from the bottom for normal operation, but don't see one. Or is there a low pocket in the tank that holds the reserve and I'm seeing the normal outlet? The one I'm seeing clogs quickly when I'm cleaning the tank. Anyone familiar with the tank configuration?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Can you help us with a the Engine #, model number ............ etc.

As for reserve .......... there is no such animal to my knowledge.

CallMeChaz

Equipment
looking
Oct 5, 2019
South Pittsburg, TN
What equiment/model number are you working on?
Went back to this thread to post my final result and don't see either reply! So as not have yalls think me rude, I will reply. Dunno, maybe I previewed and never hit reply. Anyways it is an L2250. I used to post on another forum and was always in the L2250 forum, so I forgot I need to mention my model number here.

CallMeChaz

Equipment
looking
Oct 5, 2019
South Pittsburg, TN
Can you help us with a the Engine #, model number ............ etc.

As for reserve .......... there is no such animal to my knowledge.
You are correct. I assumed with the dual "on" position on my fuel filter/switch one was a reserve, like on my motorcycles. It is not. The tank drain on the bottom is almost level with floor of the tank. Sticks up about 1/8", and that's about how deep the crud was. Finally decided to pull the tank to clean it thoroughly. Blasted it out with my pressure washer. Left a few pin holes. Cleaned it up with some phosphoric acid and fiber-glassed the bottom half with vinyl ester system. Clean and no leaks. Good for another 40 years.