fuel tank gunk

ddiaz396@aol.com

Equipment
Jun 25, 2012
Kissimmee,Fl
How to remove the fuel tank gunk.? Yesterday I removed the fuel tank from my L2250 in order to clean it... I found black sludge stuff, sticky as hell! Tried some soap and water(set all night) but ...this gunk is the "Devil honey!!"...will stick to my pressure washer gun... anybody knows what solvent or a way to clean the tank???. Thanks

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
It's algae. Get what you can and then use a biocide at the shock level. Powerservice makes a good one called Bio-Kleen, it aint cheap but it works. You might invest in a few fuel filters, you'll be changing them more than once.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Plastic fuel tank - very careful. Would try about a cup of bb's; and, kerosene, or isopropyl alcohol. Not brake cleaner or other solvent that would go after plastic. Swirl bb's as your agitator. You might get lucky with a good degreaser detergent. Again, plastic is a petroleum product so be careful.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Power Service Bio-Kleen Biocide. About $30 a quart. That is to keep the algae killed off.

Power Service also makes a tank cleaner. I have never used it but I know they make it.

ddiaz396@aol.com

Equipment
Jun 25, 2012
Kissimmee,Fl
Power Service Bio-Kleen Biocide. About $30 a quart. That is to keep the algae killed off.

Power Service also makes a tank cleaner. I have never used it but I know they make it.
Well after several phone calls(Fuel and radiators cleaning shops, Kubota, etc) I decided to try my "solution" for cleaning the fuel tank. I used a can of oven cleaner foam(sprayed first in the tank), Pine-Sol(1/2 of the bottle)Dawn detergent(1/4 cup )Purple Power cleaner(1 cup), and about 2 gallons of really hot water. Left the solution for 4 days and power washer it. Great results... the tank is clean!!. Also if you are doing this job(clean the tank) don't forget to remove the fuel filter housing and immersed it on carburetor cleaner!!! my was filthy with gunk!!

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Glad you got it clean!

Mixing cleaners is not always a good thing to do, as unfavorable chemical reactions can occur.

ddiaz396@aol.com

Equipment
Jun 25, 2012
Kissimmee,Fl
Glad you got it clean!

Mixing cleaners is not always a good thing to do, as unfavorable chemical reactions can occur.
Before I did the tank, I mixed in a very small amount to see the reaction and let it sit for a couple of days. When I notice that it was safe I applied to the tank. It works!!

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I was more concerned about the vapors and your health :).