Fuel prices

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
What are the chances that "borrowing" from the SPR will continue after 11/8/22?
About as much as the oil from the SPR staying in the USA. (MSM tried ignoring the fact that part of the last release was exported)

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Knowledgeable folks (about the subject) would not have had to read past the headline to have known what followed was tainted. Glad you picked up on that too (the advantages of being TRULY energy independent).

Yes, fuel prices, trading and trends are complicated and many sources have an influence on the market. That is well understood.

But we are doing now.....is clearly going down the wrong road and only making a bad situation worse. The current administration is rabidly anti-fossil fuels and THAT is not the fault of a global community/market.
Whatever perspective the administration has, it has not prevented the US from matching the record oil production levels this year and planning for a new record next year.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Whatever perspective the administration has, it has not prevented the US from matching the record oil production levels this year and planning for a new record next year.
The perspective is incorrect to think oil production and fuel prices are that closely related. In other words, if oil production was the only issue in play, we'd have low fuel prices.

But ... we don't.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
We've been over this before at length. You seem very stuck on oil 'production'. It is refining capability that is the bottle neck. Though increased oil production is never a bad thing.

Also, this administrations onerous position about eliminating fossil fuels, restrictions. permits and requirements all combine to dissuade oil companies from investing in what is an uncertain future.

Oil means almost nothing until it is REFINED!

Please try to look at the big picture.

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The perspective is incorrect to think oil production and fuel prices are that closely related. In other words, if oil production was the only issue in play, we'd have low fuel prices.

But ... we don't.
I agree with you. My comment was intended to respond to your he folks who think high prices are due to limited crude oil production. World market prices are driving fuel costs.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
We've been over this before at length. You seem very stuck on oil 'production'. It is refining capability that is the bottle neck. Though increased oil production is never a bad thing.

Also, this administrations onerous position about eliminating fossil fuels, restrictions. permits and requirements all combine to dissuade oil companies from investing in what is an uncertain future.

Oil means almost nothing until it is REFINED!

Please try to look at the big picture.
I am going to agree with you; the bottleneck is refining. And there has been a shortage of US refining capacity for decades. This situation didn’t develop during the past few years. Why wasn’t new refining capacity brought online during the Bush and trump administrations? It is more than politics; corporate boards had friendly administrations but didn’t invest. World prices are the other factor driving prices.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
can't be a 'refining' bottleneck ..
gas here has gone up 20c/l, 80c/g in the past 2 days.

what has changed in that time though, is that the 'leaders' decided to get opec+ to reduce oil production,
so RUSSIAN oil can be sold/bought
meanwhile Canada and USA could and SHOULD NOT be buying foreign oil...

In the end it's a HUGE 'game of greed', where 'they' do LOTS of things to empty our wallets into theirs.

Reactions: 1 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Gas jumped 20 cents this week end att he truck stop diesel over 6.00 bucks

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Friend told me gasoline jumped 40 cents overnight in Northern Alabama.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Yea, #2 is up $0.40 here in southern CT just like that, what did I miss???

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
$3.59 for 87 octane. Diesel $5.19.

Gasoline up $0.20, diesel up $0.57 over last week or so.

Gonna be a tough home heating season. Coworker won’t get kerosene for 2 weeks after placing her order other day. She didn’t say price.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Yea, #2 is up $0.40 here in southern CT just like that, what did I miss???
I just called my fuel oil supplier, $5.50. That's more than diesel prices here. wtf?

• Dislike

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Diesel $5.199 today. Only needed 10 gallons so wasn't about to shop around for it.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
can't be a 'refining' bottleneck ..
gas here has gone up 20c/l, 80c/g in the past 2 days.

what has changed in that time though, is that the 'leaders' decided to get opec+ to reduce oil production,
so RUSSIAN oil can be sold/bought
meanwhile Canada and USA could and SHOULD NOT be buying foreign oil...

In the end it's a HUGE 'game of greed', where 'they' do LOTS of things to empty our wallets into theirs.
The U.S. a net EXPORTER of oil.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The U.S. a net EXPORTER of oil.
What people don’t understand, and I am not claiming to understand fully either, is that if we stopped exporting what we do now, AND stopped importing what we need now, somehow expecting what we don’t need could be transformed into what we do need, may not be understanding reality.

My guess is that we do not have the capacity to transform what we export (and cant really use) into what we do need. So banning exports would only hurt the country, and not help, at least in the short term.

edit: I certainly wasn’t smiling a couple days ago when I filled four 5 gallon diesel containers and it cost me $100! (and change)