Fuel prices

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
While we've just gotten through winter, I'm greatly concerned about next home heating season.

All energy has gone up greatly. Natural gas up 400%, electric 200%, and now HHO and kero by 300% or so. Not sure where propane is, but I know trend is similar. (Trust me, not very technical math...just off the top of my noggin.)

Home heating oil and kerosene prices have followed diesel. HHO was $6.09/gal yesterday. Heard of kero over $7.

I used to figure a "normal" winter day was 5 gallons of HHO for my small house. We've burned pellets for years, but still have an oil-fired HWBB boiler system for backup.

Many rural folks here use HHO or kerosene to keep their houses warm. We don't have natural gas, except in some villages. Common consumption can be close to 1,000 gallons/year. Many of those rural folks are also poor.

Many folks are just getting by already. Can foresee bad woodstove installs by rookies, burning green wood, and the house fires that follow.

I don't like to pay $0.25/mile to drive my truck. Hate it.

That said, it doesn't kill me or my family like a house fire or carbon monoxide poisoning could......

This is bad, bad juju......😔☹

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
While we've just gotten through winter, I'm greatly concerned about next home heating season.

All energy has gone up greatly. Natural gas up 400%, electric 200%, and now HHO and kero by 300% or so. Not sure where propane is, but I know trend is similar. (Trust me, not very technical math...just off the top of my noggin.)

Home heating oil and kerosene prices have followed diesel. HHO was $6.09/gal yesterday. Heard of kero over $7.

I used to figure a "normal" winter day was 5 gallons of HHO for my small house. We've burned pellets for years, but still have an oil-fired HWBB boiler system for backup.

Many rural folks here use HHO or kerosene to keep their houses warm. We don't have natural gas, except in some villages. Common consumption can be close to 1,000 gallons/year. Many of those rural folks are also poor.

Many folks are just getting by already. Can foresee bad woodstove installs by rookies, burning green wood, and the house fires that follow.

That said, it doesn't kill me or my family like a house fire or carbon monoxide poisoning could......

I just locked in a level monthly payment plan for natural gas at $58/month. This is good for the next year.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
If I have to explain it to you,,,, you wouldnt understand
I don’t understand the logic of a conspiracy behind every issue. I think most conspiracy theories are bunk.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I just locked in a level monthly payment plan for natural gas at $58/month. This is good for the next year.
That's great. Not sure how your New Mexico heating demand compares to upstate New York, and I've never had a house with natural gas.

We've had stretches where we've gone 45-60 days not exceeding 32 degrees F. Had a February a few years ago where average temp was 9 degrees F for the month.

Before she passed in 2019, my MIL had a $165/mo budget for electric and gas for her small 1920's city house. Prices were more favorable then.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
That's great. Not sure how your New Mexico heating demand compares to upstate New York, and I've never had a house with natural gas.

We've had stretches where we've gone 45-60 days not exceeding 32 degrees F. Had a February a few years ago where average temp was 9 degrees F for the month.

Before she passed in 2019, my MIL had a $165/mo budget for electric and gas for her small 1920's city house. Prices were more favorable then.
No doubt upper New York has more heating days than we do. But I’m at 6,900’ elevation and we do have a six month heating season. We do get below zero in December-January, but I think the prices are largely a result of the fact that natural gas is produced in abundance here and many wells are capped because there is more available than market demand.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
No doubt upper New York has more heating days than we do. But I’m at 6,900’ elevation and we do have a six month heating season. We do get below zero in December-January, but I think the prices are largely a result of the fact that natural gas is produced in abundance here and many wells are capped because there is more available than market demand.
I was careful to not sound critical, as I do know NM is quite heterogenous for weather. Only been west of the Mississippi River once, and that was by plane to CA.

Yep - - we had some natural gas production very local to here for a while. NYS government took care of that. Now gone.

Reactions: 1 users

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
$4.79 a gallon up here in Maine. pump stopped at $125 , didnt come close to filling it. I get 10mpg
20220518_065509.jpg

• Sad

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
So if “he did that”, who did that in the other countries around the world? Think about this. High fuel prices are now worldwide.
Are you talking about the sticker someone put on the pump? They are on most pumps in Maine. I was posting about the fuel price.

Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Are you talking about the sticker someone put on the pump? They are on most pumps in Maine. I was posting about the fuel price.
Yep, see that a lot here too.

Don’t portend to agree or otherwise. Surprised the stations don’t take them off.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Yep, see that a lot here too.

Don’t portend to agree or otherwise. Surprised the stations don’t take them off.
They do and the next guy puts one right back on lol.. I think they have just found it easier to leave them on at this point.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I was referring to the sticker. So many people think that the US is the entire world. The government of our country is powerful but doesn’t set worldwide fuel prices. Since the whole world is experiencing this now, the cause is much larger than whoever is the US president.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
$4.79 a gallon up here in Maine. pump stopped at $125 , didnt come close to filling it. I get 10mpg
Pumps around here still cut off at $75 which really ticks me off. At $5.60 a gallon for diesel right now, $75 doesn't get you much.

Reactions: 2 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Russia's invasion of Ukraine caused a disruption in the normal distribution of petroleum products. Russia is a major producer of diesel for the rest of the world. When the rest of the world decided to punish Russia for the invasion and stopped purchasing diesel from them, they needed new sources for diesel, and that is what caused the higher prices. Supply became short, and shortages cause higher prices.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Sorry but IMHO this is what caused all the prices to go up 5 trillion to 17 trillion they tripled the amount of money out there it is very simple math. eventually the money will trickle up to the billionaires and prices will moderate
1652970116911.png

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Sorry but IMHO this is what caused all the prices to go up 5 trillion to 17 trillion they tripled the amount of money out there it is very simple math. eventually the money will trickle up to the billionaires and prices will moderate
View attachment 80295
It's a miracle prices haven't risen more. Of course, we haven't seen the top.

Stagflation, here it comes (getting out my bell bottoms and double- knit shirts. I'll have to buy a wig to have long hair). WalMart and Target are already seeing sales down on clothes, etc. because people are having to spend on food and energy.

• Sad

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY

I just picked up 2 tons of pellets last week, same price as in Oct. Can't wait to what Propane is going to be. Elections do have consequences!

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
It's a miracle prices haven't risen more. Of course, we haven't seen the top.

Stagflation, here it comes (getting out my bell bottoms and double- knit shirts. I'll have to buy a wig to have long hair). WalMart and Target are already seeing sales down on clothes, etc. because people are having to spend on food and energy.

[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
Yes we maybe toward the top on lumber and housing but prices are sticky on the way down. Remember spring of 2020 the USA tripled the money supply and s and so did every other country in the world to different degrees. To your point we have not seen the top. There is still a lot of excess money floating around it caused the stock market real estate and crytpo along with used cars and tractors and eventually energy to go insane. As it gets absorbed and I dont want to sound negative but money does trickle up. assets will fall it could take months it could take years it is a tremendous amount money to be absorbed. Ironically when assest do fall and working people get paid more the income inequality improves.

I was thinking of selling my farmall I paid 2100 in 2014 I have added many things to it and it runs way better than it did when I bought it so I was going to ask 3000. I looked on kijiji across canada and seen them from 5000 -10000 insane without a loader. I think I will try 3500

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I just picked up 2 tons of pellets last week, same price as in Oct. Can't wait to what Propane is going to be. Elections do have consequences!
I thought about stocking up too. Had most of a ton left, and no convenient place to store them all summer.

I will try to jam in all 5 tons in September.