Fuel guage on new BX25d always shows full

GCP

Equipment
BX25D
May 29, 2015
Derry, NH
I have a new Bx25D that always shows full on the fuel guage. The tractor blew the dashboard fuse the first time I asked it to do some serious work. Not sure if the two issues are related. Also, I never burn more than a couple of gallons before topping off. Would need to rent a trailer to haul it to the dealer just for this.

Maybe I can fix it myself. Has anyone else experinced this.

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
While I'm no electrical genius I can suggest a couple things to check . First check the connection on the fuel sending unit . Depending on the type of gauge they will either read full when disconnected or they will read empty . Check the wires at the coonection for voltage also . Look in your tank and see if the sending unit is visible . If so , see if the float moves freely . I'm thinking that maybe the problem may be in your dash . I'm taking that the fuel gage worked before the dash fuse blew ? May have something fried there . But check the sending unit first . Always start with the simple stuff .
There may be a couple of options with your dealer . Under warranty they MAY come to your house to repair it . Or you could always pull the dash and take it to them . Depends on how "handy" you are with tools and how your relationship with your dealer is .

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My BX2360 always shows full, but then the gauge drops like a rock.

When it gets to 3/4 full, will take 3 gallons plus.

Might be the funky shaped tank.:confused:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Could be a couple of things. Could be moisture in a plug grounding the sending wire out. Which will peg the gauge. Or the sending unit could have been installed in such a way that the float and linkage could be making contact against the edge of the fuel tank causing it to show full all the time. A quick easy way to tell if it's a short or in the tank is to disconnect the wire at the sending unit on the fuel tank. If it still shows full on the gauge then there is a short between ground and the sending unit wire somewhere in the harness. If it drops to empty when the wire is disconnected then the issue is in the tank. May be as simple as disconnecting the mounting screws and rotating the sending unit a 1/4 turn.

GCP

Equipment
BX25D
May 29, 2015
Derry, NH
Lots of good ideas here. Think I'll start with the dealer, then maybe go looking for the sensor connection. I have a voltage meter. Are there any readings I should check?

Thanks!

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I agree with RCW the gauge on my BX2370 stays at full for about 1/2 tank and then drops rapidly. I would run at least 4 gallons out of the tank before doing anything else.

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
I have a new Bx25D that always shows full on the fuel guage. The tractor blew the dashboard fuse the first time I asked it to do some serious work. Not sure if the two issues are related. Also, I never burn more than a couple of gallons before topping off. Would need to rent a trailer to haul it to the dealer just for this.

Maybe I can fix it myself. Has anyone else experinced this.
I was just thinking about what you said about burning off a couple of gallons before refueling . If you do that ,,, your gage will always read full ! Because of the shape of the tank ( look it up on kubotas parts site) it takes two or three gallons on mine before it starts to move . So,,, like I said earlier about doing the easy checks first ,,, run it for awhile before refueling . Do this before you check anything else out .

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
Without having the wiring diagram in front of me, you should be able to pull the connector out of the back of the dash and check the circuit of the sender unit with an ohmeter. The resistance will be higher when its full, less resistance when its empty. If it's still high even when the tank is empty, the sender is bad, and you will have to pull the ROPS and fenders to get to it, worst part is making sure not to scratch the paint....

GCP

Equipment
BX25D
May 29, 2015
Derry, NH
Doing less is best. I'll resist the urge to top off and see what happens. Not sure how to tell when Ive burned a few gallons. I've read that letting it run out of fuel is a PITA and requires bleeding the fuel systm.

This used to be a common probem on motorcycles, but most of them now use pressure sensors when the tanks have an odd shape.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Not sure how to tell when Ive burned a few gallons. I've read that letting it run out of fuel is a PITA and requires bleeding the fuel systm.
I just peak in the fill cap occasionally. You will see the level going down long before you run out. Like I said, I often fill mine at 3/4, and it will take 3 gallons to fill it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My BX2360 always shows full, but then the gauge drops like a rock.

When it gets to 3/4 full, will take 3 gallons plus.

Might be the funky shaped tank.:confused:
My Bx is just like that, I often ask myself - HOW long is that dang ol tank gonna show FULL?

If you are on a hill - I can get the gauge to move !

I actually got the yellow light the other day!!!! I was going up a incline a little bit at a funky angle and I saw the low fuel light.....hell didnt know it had one!!

I too run her a while and then top off, that tank is a funky shape for sure!!! Hope it has a low spot somewhere in it !!!:D;)

jimadd

May 26, 2015
SC
Hello to all, new to OTT. So figured I say hello. I also have a brand new bx25d with what I call a crazy fuel gage. It has 27 hours on it now and we are still trying to understand each other....LOL. I top the tank to the bottom lip and cap it off, and do my running around and playing....wife thinks I am working hard....then after a while I will check the fuel to see it has dropped a good bit, but guage still says full. So I keep running around....one light goes of full.....then another and another....when the last light is on, the fuel light comes on....hmmmm better put fuel in.....go put fuel in....takes 4.4 gal. in a 6.6 tank. I figured it would take atleast 6 gal..... what gives. so I asked my dealer what gives....he said it was the shape of the tank that driving everyone crazy. I was not the first and he said not the last for sure to ask what the problem was. His advice is when the light come on, fill it up as its real bad to run a pump dry. Jim

Last edited:

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
My BX1860 does the same as a couple other members have posted. I have to burn off at least 2.5 gallons of fuel before I see any movement on the fuel gauge. It is likely that you have the same issue.