Fuel Gelling Article

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
In the mid 80's had a Isuzu Trooper with a 2.2L turbo diesel. Made 85 HP and a $h$t load of torque. Engine was based on an industrial motor.
They recommended 10% gas or up to 25% kerosene. The preference was kerosene. In western NY it started well with 20% kerosene. I think we sometimes go for the new fangled bottle and forget the basics. Just a thought. Jeff

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Interesting article, thanks for sharing. Where can you usually get Kerosene, should the Co-op have it in bulk? We have some for our lanterns but I imagine it has all kinds of additives that would be detrimental to a diesel engine.

What does PM stand for?

"Use some form of water absorbing additive in the fuel tanks at each PM."

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
PM = Preventive Maintenance. (the interval at which oil change, etc. made)
Thanks, still learning terminology. That one should have been easy but my brain froze on time, AM PM, and I knew it could not be every afternoon, lol.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I see those abbreviations all the time and don't have a clue. I just open another window and type in the letters, then it offer those letters in slang definitions. Then by the next time I see them I have to do it all over again!!

grandwazoo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5200 TLB, Kodiak box blade, wicked root grapple, EA pallet forks
Dec 12, 2017
Finger Lakes
Interesting article, thanks for sharing. Where can you usually get Kerosene, should the Co-op have it in bulk?

What does PM stand for?

"Use some form of water absorbing additive in the fuel tanks at each PM."
many gas stations have Kerosene pumps, get it for your torches there too, way cheeper!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Stmar said:
What does PM stand for?

PM is also = Private Mesage
Example “Send a PM with contact information and...”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Yes it is the wax that drops out and blocks the filters. We don't get the cold temps in OZ like the US, but at a couple of places in the mountains they sell "Alpine diesel" in the winter. And the Winter/Alpine diesel works well, otherwise they would have vehicles stuck on the roads on the mountains everywhere. We refer to the "cloud point" of the fuel with regards to waxing. In Antarctica we use ATK (Aviation turbine kerosene) neat in the diesels. I don't recall if they also have any lubricity additive injection system, because kerosene has very low lubricity. At airports lots of the diesel tugs run on ATK as well, because when they have to drain plane fuel tanks, the fuel can't go back into the plane so it gets used in fleet tarmac vehicles.
https://www.todaystrucking.com/wp-c..._images/SolvingWinterDieselProblems91-1R2.pdf

Last edited:

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
Up here in AK we run #1 ULSD to avoid the gelling problem. I work here in a petroleum lab at a refinery. It's interesting to see lubricity figures on #1. I used to run #1 heating oil in my JD. I always added some 2 cycle oil for lubricity. It was the best cost effective solution. I wonder about adding it to my #1 Ulsd. With the dpf system on my l3901 it may cause some regen problems.

Ron