Fuel for BX23

SJD

Jun 16, 2014
WD, PA
I have a late model BX23. We are changing out our home heating system and have a near full tank of heating fuel? Is that the same as the diesel purchased at the pump? I'd don't want to do anything to harm my tractor but if it's the same fuel, it would beat, draining the tank and transporting it elsewhere. Thanks

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
Heating oil is similar to diesel but not quite the same thing you would have to look at the specs. I can say this, lately diesel has been offered with lower and lower sulfur specs. My new 2650 has a warning label on it stating "warning ultra low sulfur diesel only"

I doubt the heating oil has ultra low sulfur levels. If you have an older diesel truck, I'd use it there. If you're set on using the heating oil I would personally not use it with less than 50/50 between fresh diesel and that heating oil. I would be very hesitant to use it straight. Your BX23 does not have a Diesel Particulate Filter like the larger engines but I don't know enough about diesels to know if there is a difference between your particular engine and a similar engine that's about 10 years old.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Out here in the Pacific Northwest, heating fuel is #2 diesel. Off road #2 that is, both it and heating oil are dyed red. On road pump fuel is clear.

Works just fine out here. Not sure about what you might find for other areas that have different expected temps...

Nothing from a mechanical standpoint on any of the later diesels up to the introduction of the tier 4's to really require ultra low sulfur fuel, other than the EPA in a attempt to remove pollution.

David

Last edited:

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
You should be fine with that. I'd pour it through a Mr. funnel filtered funnel when you fill the tractor, and Power Service conditioner wouldn't hurt anything, I've used heating oil in my Bobcat for a few years now without any problems. It came out of a retired home tank like yours.
The BX uses so little fuel you'll have that supply for a good long while!

Mister Funnel is sold at Wally World and other places, it catches water and debris in your fuel. Not an expensive item.

Jerry