fuel filters for G1800 and others with 5/16" lines

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Hi Folks,

I've spent a considerable amount of time researching fuel filters for my G1800. It has 5/16" fuel lines. There are two filters, one back near the tank, and another up near the injector pump.

A long-time friend and counterman at AutoPlus turned me on to a plastic mesh type filter as being more robust than the cellulose filters. As well, it has a clear polycarbonate shell, so you can if there is gunk inside. But, it's only rated at 150 microns. Good for "rocks and sticks", but not the finer stuff.

The WSM specifies a 15 micron rating for the fuel filter(s). I am thinking it makes sense to use both. Put the 'coarse' filter upstream, and a 'fine' filter downstream. That way, in theory, they'll both last longer, because the fine filter is protected from getting plugged with coarse debris.

That plastic mesh filter is WIX WF10248.

Yesterday, I spent several hours specking the fine filter. There are only a few that are configured right, and come in at 15 microns (or less). I settled on the WIX 33095, which specs at 11 microns, and is configured with 5/16" inlet and outlet. It's a little smaller in diameter than the Kubota factory filter, which means the clamp to the frame may need to be modified. An equivalent filter is the Fleetguard FF149. Baldwin makes one in the right configuration (BF833), but they don't publish its micron rating. NAPA sells the same filter as their NAPAGold 3905. I bought two of them yesterday (one for the shelf), and installed one.

I had to special order both the WF10248 and the 3095.

Now, I can sleep at night. Especially after reading about Soonerdad's trials and tribulations!

I suppose I could have saved myself some time and effort (but probably not any $$$) by just ordering up the Kubota filter for this application. But who knows what brand they are? And, if you don't know what brand they are, you can't look up the specs. And, the convenience of a NAPA parts store in every small town provides some peace of mind - a new filter is close-at-hand, if needed.

-Paul

PS, you KNOW I get the jobber discount on everything I buy at AutoPlus!

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I used one on dads G1800. The filter was too big for the bracket on the “engine side” filter.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
the Kubota filter for this application. But who knows what brand they are? And, if you don't know what brand they are, you can't look up the specs.
If they are in the Kubota package, they are 15 microns.

TractorFleet

Equipment
G1800S, BC CT225 w/bh, MF 3165 w/bh, IH B-275, IH B-414, AC B, Gibson, PC50UU-2
Apr 8, 2023
Washington State
I've been a reading posts here for years, but figured I'd should sign up and help out once and a while.

I've worked with a lot of filtration products in both manufacturing (hydraulics, chemicals, etc.) and power generation (diesel gens), but I did do a simple quick filter upgrade to my G1800S.

I used a clear bowl/water trap "Suzuki filter" for my prefilter.

When I bought my G1800 it had a leaky line from the tank to the prefilter due to frequent dealer service (every year changes), so I lengthened the line and installed the Suzuki filter. I still need to find one of their mounting brackets, but it works good for now.

I still have the stock speced 2nd final filter in place, but will need to replace the other fuel lines as they are all showing signs of decay and weeping.

The "Suzuki filter" is what my filter guy called them as they are a popular retrofit on equipment, but were OEM on the Suzuki Samurai and many Suzuki outboard motors.

My Komatsu excavator is the first place I saw one retrofitted on, and when I learned about their better than normal ability to separate water due to their "deep bowl design" and with the inlet below the element as compared to the other "low cost" filters.

I have them on a lot of my equipment and vehicles. I like that I can see very quickly if there is any water or crud showing up in the bowl. I've only found them with 8mm - 5/16" barbs, but I've used barb adapters to work on 1/4" lines too.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
12581-43012 is the correct filter and is readily available at ANY kubota dealer (and possibly Exmark and grasshopper dealers as well).

you know where to get it, it's designed to fit and work, yet we want to save, what, $0.50? by going to a parts store, then having to order it--that's two or more trips to the store. Seems like a lot of trouble.

If it's too much trouble to get them from a dealer, get 12 of them and you'll have enough for the next 6 years.

Reactions: 1 users