Fuel Filter stuff

T0adman

Equipment
B2601
Oct 14, 2022
WI, USA
Stopped at the gas station and they have white bottle power service diesel fuel supplement but not the silver. Our Reno’s will be in 40s and 50s the next couple weeks. Is there harm in using the winter stuff in these warm temps?

T0adman

Equipment
B2601
Oct 14, 2022
WI, USA
Yeah, I will keep it topped up from now on.

i suppose tossing the questionable diesel can’t hurt. I just need to figure out how to drain a tank on this thing.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Yeah, I will keep it topped up from now on.

i suppose tossing the questionable diesel can’t hurt. I just need to figure out how to drain a tank on this thing.
To drain the fuel tank, just remove the rear hose from the filter housing and hang it over a bucket.

Reactions: 1 user

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Hello,
I'm super new to my kubota and the forums. I have a B2601 with only 6 hours on it. I haven't even added fuel yet; still running on the tank it came with.
Today after a week on vacation, and significant cooling temperatures, I went out to look for the QR code to add it to the kubota app and I noticed this in the fuel filter (attached pics). Last time I ran it it was solid red, but not there is clearly something else. They say "red or yellow, never clear" and this looks yellow, but I know it's not diesel. What is this? Is it water? But it also looks like some kind of sediment at the bottom. I assume something needs to be done before I run my tractor? Thanks in advance for any advice.

View attachment 88798 View attachment 88799
If this were my tractor, I would not run the tractor until I drained the fuel filter of all that crap and corruption. Collect it in a clear container and I'll be willing to bet it's condensed water from sitting around with a partially filled fuel tank. Drain the filter and refill it by opening the tank valve and let it settle to see if you have more water. Continue doing this until you have no sign of water. The only difference between "road diesel" and off- road diesel is the color (red for off road non-taxed and straw colored for road diesel which is taxed). They are totally miscible i.e. they mix together.

Keep you tank full and treat it with diesel fuel treatment and keep a close eye on that filter to make sure that you don't have water collecting again.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I have three 275 gallon fuel oil tanks, one in a heated basement, one in an unheated basement and one outdoors on the north side of a building. I have never seen so much as a drop of water in any of them. The fuel level varies considerably according to use and price, no effort is made to keep them full. I replace the fuel filters about every three years and there is no water in them. For those that may not know, fuel oil and diesel is the same and it is dyed red as well. I also have a diesel pickup that I drain the water separator as required, never seen a drop of water in the drained fuel. My opinion is that the condensation theory is way overblown. The crap that the OP is seeing came from the dealers tank. He cannot allow that dealer to mess with his tractor because the dealer is useless.

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Red diesel doesn't mix with green.....now I've heard it all. 😂
Drain the tank. Like Jay said, take no chances. Keep that Mason jar and take it to the dealer. Light it on fire and see what's left. (In the jar, not left of the dealer. Lol)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

T0adman

Equipment
B2601
Oct 14, 2022
WI, USA
Thanks everyone!
I’m really glad I didn’t just take the dealers word that everything is ok. After draining the filter cup, it’s obviously water. And the fact that it is SOOOO dirty also concerns me. While it might be overkill, I think I’ll drain the tank just to be safe. $20 worth of diesel and some time learning more about my new toy is nothing in comparison to the damage shitty fuel could cause.

the fact that he assured me there was nothing to worry about makes me start questioning the quality of this dealer. I was planning to take it in fir the 50 hour maintenance just to get some professional eyes on everything. Now I’ll do it myself or take it to a different dealer for that to make sure there isn’t anything else weird.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Stopped at the gas station and they have white bottle power service diesel fuel supplement but not the silver. Our Reno’s will be in 40s and 50s the next couple weeks. Is there harm in using the winter stuff in these warm temps?
Nope. You can use either one in the temps for the other. Another option is Howes Diesel Treat. It is an all weather product. It'll act as an anti gel in the winter. Can't recall if it boosts cutaneous though.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Just talked with the dealer. I emailed him a pic. He says it’s not clear so I don’t need to be worried. They may have added road diesel (yellow) that didn’t mix with the ag diesel (red).
Tell him I’ll gladly pay for his vasectomy……

• Haha

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
When you are talking to the dealer skip talking to the salesman. Often they are some Tom, Dick or Harry that is good at selling something to someone. Instead talk to the service manager. His job is to make you happy while keep the cost to the dealer as low as he can.

Also I would suggest that you make a log with date, time, contact and notes about your discussions so that you can refer back to them if a problem does arise. Document everything. Include the photos. And all of your service work. This will make your tractor more valuable when you trade or sale it.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have three 275 gallon fuel oil tanks, one in a heated basement, one in an unheated basement and one outdoors on the north side of a building. I have never seen so much as a drop of water in any of them. The fuel level varies considerably according to use and price, no effort is made to keep them full. I replace the fuel filters about every three years and there is no water in them. For those that may not know, fuel oil and diesel is the same and it is dyed red as well. I also have a diesel pickup that I drain the water separator as required, never seen a drop of water in the drained fuel. My opinion is that the condensation theory is way overblown. The crap that the OP is seeing came from the dealers tank. He cannot allow that dealer to mess with his tractor because the dealer is useless.
1000% AGREED!

Mak65

Equipment
L2501 HST
Apr 25, 2019
TX
No. The owner owns the place. He likely has a keen business mind. May be original owner or handed down. But being the owner and knowing the equipment doesn’t have to go hand in hand.

T0adman

Equipment
B2601
Oct 14, 2022
WI, USA
I agree, although he does present himself as an expert. He even claims to have written a few books on engines and tractor safety.

Anyway, I ran it today for a few hours trying to dig out a couple stumps and flatten what was our overgrown previous garden. It ran well and I don't see any more gunk in the filter. So, that's good. i did top it up before putting it away for the night. I'll definitely make a habit of that going forward.

Thanks again for all the advice. I'm definitely glad I emptied out that gunk before running it.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you think that you are not going to be using the tractor for an extended time, get a piece of heavy plastic (think 2-gallon zip lock bag) and cut a big enough piece out of it and cover the fuel filler opening and then screw the fuel filler cap onto the tank. This will keep the atmosphere out of the vent in the cap and condensation can't get into your tank. I have a friend that does this every year in the spring so the high humidity of the summer doesn't enter his fuel oil tank.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I see nothing 'sinister'.... just water-separator doing its thing (it is clear for a reason)
There should be MULTIPLE fuel filters on your tractor. I would change ALL of them. As other folks have said, you DO NOT want crud finding its way into the injection system. This is the reason for all the fuel-filters.

That 'filter' you see in the water-separator is simply to aid in separating the water.... it is NOT the main fuel-filter.

I use Power Service Diesel Kleen (available at wallymart)
  • Grey bottle in the summer
  • White bottle in the winter.
The fuel bowl filter is the only fuel filter on the B2601. Also was the only one on both the JD 4010 (like a 2019E if made today) and the JD 2025R gen. 1.