Fuel filter guard

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
So with about 35 hours on my new machine, I am out trying to clear a trail. Lots of 1 to 2 inch trees and brush to remove so I'm going at it with my grapple and chain saw when all of a sudden the engine dies.

At first I thought I might have hit the key with my knee when looking over my shoulder to back out. I go to start it and it just cranks.

A wave of fear/anger/frustration washes over me, so I jump off and start a cussing tirade that probably got me 1 step closer to he!!.

As I am walking around trying figure out what just happened, I see this small white cup out of the corner of my eye and sure enough, its my fuel filter housing. :mad:

Although I was relived that it was nothing major, it was annoying. I was able to screw it back on and limp into the shop with a serious fuel leak. So it was off to the dealer to get a new one.

Vowing to never have that happen again, I began building a guard in my head.

Here is the result.

Started out with a piece of 10 guage A36 and basically bent, checked, cut....bent, cut and checked until I had the initial shape.

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Then I decided to attach it using the 2 studs that hold the hood skirting in the front and the top bolt of the steering linkage in the rear.

Having that plasma cutter made quick work of roughing out the forward mounting hole.

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
After welding on a tab for the rear mount I soon discovered that the angle was going to be too steep to get it to bolt up properly. I decided to go with a different mounting plate so I cut the tab off and decided the remaining part of the tab was going to be a "decoration"

I decided to used the mounting bolts for the fuel filter itself so I located the holes and welded her up

Attachments

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
On the fly, I decided that I wanted some "side ways" protection yet I still wanted to be able to see the filter.

I had some expanded metal laying around from the brush guard build so I figured this would be a good use for it.

Then the top part was bugging me. It looked unfinished, and had all those sharp edges so I found some small square tubing in the metal bin.

Wait for it.....Wait for it......

Yes after welding it all together I went to go fit it it up and I'll be damne#!!!!!! I forgot to fit it up with the filter installed, so now it bolts up perfectly but that top bar is in the way of installing the filter. DOOOOH!!!!!🤬🤬

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
No photos of it (because I was ticked off about the stupid mistake)

but I cut the bar off and had one scrap of tubing left that was just long enough.

So off to the press I go and bent it into a U'ish shape to allow for the filter and tacked it in place.

While fitting it I then noticed that the fuel line was going to rub/hit the guard so back to the plasma cutter to freehand a cut out for the fuel line. Then a little work with the grinder and vinegar bath.

Attachments

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Looks nice. Better make a guard for the exposed low hanging hydraulic hose lines shown in the photo.

I managed to punch a hole in my plastic grill on my new tractor using a grapple while moving brush. That'll teach me...

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Good job explaining and problem solving custom fabrication issues. Tractors need lots of armor to fight trees and brush. Small sticks can cause large damage.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Looks nice. Better make a guard for the exposed low hanging hydraulic hose lines shown in the photo.

I managed to punch a hole in my plastic grill on my new tractor using a grapple while moving brush. That'll teach me...
Thanks Mike, and yea those other areas are getting some protection.

Good job explaining and problem solving custom fabrication issues. Tractors need lots of armor to fight trees and brush. Small sticks can cause large damage.
Thanks Smokey. I never realized how much of a problem those stick can be. They sure do pop up where/when you least expect it.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Nice job problem solving with your own fabrication skills. I see your Ginop Sales sticker on your tractor, I have that same sticker on my B2650. View attachment 94989
Very nice tractor!

Ginop's were nice people. I would not hesitate to deal with them again.

I hope y'all have been building ice this week. Heading up Thursday to do some fishing.:)

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Then the final install.
Nice job on your guard, I hadn't noticed how vulnerable that filter area was until reading your thread and I went and looked at mine. I made a guard for my hydraulic filter and hoses on the right step area. Guess I will follow your example soon.

Hydraulic Guard

Bill

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Nice job on your guard, I hadn't noticed how vulnerable that filter area was until reading your thread and I went and looked at mine. I made a guard for my hydraulic filter and hoses on the right step area. Guess I will follow your example soon.

Hydraulic Guard

Bill
Thanks Bill,

Yours looks great too.

I find it fascinating that the same "guard" can be made in so many different configurations. It's a lot like art I suppose. If you have 20 people paint a picture of the exact same apple, you will undoubtedly get 20 very different pictures.

My other guards are done. The write ups will follow soon.

I quite enjoy seeing how other people do stuff, then adding my own twist to it.

Paul

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Thanks Bill,

Yours looks great too.

I find it fascinating that the same "guard" can be made in so many different configurations. It's a lot like art I suppose. If you have 20 people paint a picture of the exact same apple, you will undoubtedly get 20 very different pictures.

My other guards are done. The write ups will follow soon.

I quite enjoy seeing how other people do stuff, then adding my own twist to it.

Paul
Thanks Paul,

I find welding something up from scratch that solves a problem is a hobby for me. I am working on the linear actuator mod for my SSQA on the kubota. It is done except for the switch. I used a slower heavier one than some others like DIY my way the youtuber did. I also am making an adapter for the 3pt to SSQA stuff so I can use the forks or grapple on the back of the L2501 or my 8N when doing fire wood. That would be mainly for lifting a log for cutting.
My L2501 is a DT gear drive and the dif lock is on the right. If you are using the foot throttle You can't use the lock at the same time. I came up with a adapter using a golf club handle and I can use it to engage the lock and still use the foot throttle.

Bill

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Thanks Paul,

I find welding something up from scratch that solves a problem is a hobby for me. I am working on the linear actuator mod for my SSQA on the kubota. It is done except for the switch. I used a slower heavier one than some others like DIY my way the youtuber did. I also am making an adapter for the 3pt to SSQA stuff so I can use the forks or grapple on the back of the L2501 or my 8N when doing fire wood. That would be mainly for lifting a log for cutting.
My L2501 is a DT gear drive and the dif lock is on the right. If you are using the foot throttle You can't use the lock at the same time. I came up with a adapter using a golf club handle and I can use it to engage the lock and still use the foot throttle.

Bill

I feel very much the same Bill.

I look forward to your write ups. (and remember...pics or it didn't happen;)

The SSQA mod is on my list as well. I have been kicking the idea around of using 2 shorter actuators (one on each end) in order to speed it up, instead of just one longer-slower one. I'm still in the planning stage though and a hydraulic solution is not out of the question yet.

Paul