Fuel delivery

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Around here they seem to insist that you put your container on the ground before filling, even with diesel fuel.

Not sure how "Barrel in the truck" would work here...Suppose it might if they were not looking or did not care. Pumps do have a notice that containers must be placed on the ground.

Would not bother me at all filling diesel into a container on the truck.
I have never seen any stickers on pumps in WA that say the container has to be on the ground. I am not sure if that is a state thing or Federal. I admit that I don't read any of the stickers on the pumps so if there are any that say the container has to be on the ground, I wouldn't know it anyway.

I know that I have been filling 55 gallon drums with gasoline and diesel, on my truck since at least 1992. No one has ever told me that I cannot. I hope that I never have a problem now that someone mentioned it. I don't want to jinx myself by reading pump stickers either.

Reactions: 1 user

Botabart

Equipment
L2501
Jan 1, 2021
NW Pennsylvania
Around here they seem to insist that you put your container on the ground before filling, even with diesel fuel.

Not sure how "Barrel in the truck" would work here...Suppose it might if they were not looking or did not care. Pumps do have a notice that containers must be placed on the ground.

Would not bother me at all filling diesel into a container on the truck.
Yeah, the place I go doesn't care. I could probably bring a ground wire with me too.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
That's not a bad idea. Not as critical with diesel as it is with gasoline, of course, but it doesn't hurt to play it safe.
Actually, diesel is more susceptible to static electric ignition than gasoline is.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Actually, diesel is more susceptible to static electric ignition than gasoline is.

That is not correct. It may be that you are confused by the lower auto-ignition temperature of diesel (210) compared to gasoline (246 - 280), but that is not the correct metric to look at. The vaporization characteristics (which affect flash point) and the MIE (Minimum Ignition Energy) are the relevant characteristics in static ignition scenarios.

V. Flammability of Vapor-Air Mixtures

The flammability of a hydrocarbon vapor-air mixture depends on its vapor pressure, flash point and temperature. These properties are used to classify petroleum products whose electrical resistivities are high enough to enable them to accumulate significant electrostatic charges under certain handling conditions. Following are the three petroleum product Vapor Pressure Classifications, including common examples:

Low – Those with a closed cup flash point above 100°F (38°C).

These products do not develop flammable vapors under normal handling conditions. However, conditions for ignition may exist, if handled at temperatures above their flash points, are contaminated with higher vapor-pressure materials, or are transferred into containers where vapors are at concentrations at or above those necessary to produce a flammable mixture.

Examples: #2 Fuel Oil; Kerosene, Diesel, Jet Fuel A (commercial), Motor Oil, Asphalt, and Safety Solvents Intermediate – Those with a closed-cup flash point below 100°F (38°C).

Intermediate – Those with a closed-cup flash point below 100°F (38°C).

These products may create a flammable mixture in the vapor space at ambient temperatures.
Examples: Xylene, Benzene, Toluene, Jet B (commercial), JP-4 (military), and Stoddard Solvents

High – Those with a Reid Vapor pressure above 4.5 psi absolute (31 kilopascals).

These products, under normal handling temperatures in a closed vapor space, will rapidly produce a mixture too rich to be flammable. However, in some areas, a vapor space may pass through the flammable range before becoming too rich.

Examples: Motor and Aviation Gasoline’s (sic), and high vapor pressure Naphtha’s (sic)
Source: Static Ignition Hazards When Handling Petroleum Products

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
That is not correct. It may be that you are confused by the lower auto-ignition temperature of diesel (210) compared to gasoline (246 - 280), but that is not the correct metric to look at. The vaporization characteristics (which affect flash point) and the MIE (Minimum Ignition Energy) are the relevant characteristics in static ignition scenarios.

Source: Static Ignition Hazards When Handling Petroleum Products
Thank you for the information. You made me do some reading on the subject and in almost all conditions what you say is true. I learned something.

I was drawing my information from helicopter refueling operations when I was in the Army. That is not the same scenario as what you were talking about so what I said does not apply. Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 user