Fuel can options

92merc

Equipment
2019 BX2680, Cab, Snowblower, mower, loader

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Its been touched on here but folks have been glossing over it. These Eagle cans, and Justrite metal cans that are super popular (and highly reviewed most places) are all powder coated galvanized steel cans. I have read that you should never use galvanized metal cans with diesel fuel. Something about the Zinc and diesel interacting (possible the sulfur in the diesel?) and causing something that can clog injectors and harm the diesel engine. Apparently some John Deere tractors had a warning about using galvanized cans in the owner manuals. Aparrantely its a no no to use galvanized metal in any fuel deliver system - even in plumbing and fittings etc. it seems to be a documented problem/issue.

Im just really curious about this. These Justrite cans are great cans, are are super popular. I went to their website tried to find out if they addressed this concern anywhere but its no where to be found. They tout all of their certifications, etc. I cant imagine they would make such cans and sale as many as they do if they were a true risk to diesel engines. It doesnt make logical sense - however the information on galvanized cans and diesel seems solid. Anyone know more on this? Are they putting something in/on these cans to nullify this problem?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Do NOT use valve stems as they will rot in the presence of fuel. Get the cheap vents I posted earlier. They are perfect and work so simply. (If fact, they seal to tightly when snapped shut they blow-up my boat portable tank like a balloon.)

I have 15 (Fifteen) 5-gal portable fuel cans that have these vents. You use an ordinary 1/2” flat-blade wood-bit to drill a hole in upper portion of the can (I do them at the upper/rear of the handle) and use a mallet or hammer to pound it into position with ONE HIT..... They work GREAT!

Get them on Ebay or from Amazon or WalMart even... 5 for $5: https://www.walmart.com/ip/5-Yellow...MIkfivkqHA6QIVQ77ACh22FgtcEAQYAyABEgJ6hPD_BwE

Attachments

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I know Flip will buzz me about having 15 five-gal gas jugs so to save him the time I’ll say that 12 of them are used for 100 octane aviation gasoline, and 3 for automotive gasoline for tillers, mowers, etc.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Its been touched on here but folks have been glossing over it. These Eagle cans, and Justrite metal cans that are super popular (and highly reviewed most places) are all powder coated galvanized steel cans. I have read that you should never use galvanized metal cans with diesel fuel. Something about the Zinc and diesel interacting (possible the sulfur in the diesel?) and causing something that can clog injectors and harm the diesel engine. Apparently some John Deere tractors had a warning about using galvanized cans in the owner manuals. Aparrantely its a no no to use galvanized metal in any fuel deliver system - even in plumbing and fittings etc. it seems to be a documented problem/issue.

Im just really curious about this. These Justrite cans are great cans, are are super popular. I went to their website tried to find out if they addressed this concern anywhere but its no where to be found. They tout all of their certifications, etc. I cant imagine they would make such cans and sale as many as they do if they were a true risk to diesel engines. It doesnt make logical sense - however the information on galvanized cans and diesel seems solid. Anyone know more on this? Are they putting something in/on these cans to nullify this problem?
This subject was cussed/Dis-cussed in another thread and substantial documentation posted on the subject. It’s not worth spending much energy on, IMO, especially since we now get only Low Sulfur diesel these days. I see that most portable pumping systems in the backs of PU trucks have galvanized fittings and I’ve had galvanized fittings on my large diesel storage system here at the ranch and never experienced a problem. But as OCD* as many of us get over minor details regarding our “toys” ...to be absolutely safe, the diesel fuel industry warns against long-term storage in galvanized tanks.

* OCD: (I’m often amused by the saying that we often “Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a grease-pencil, then cut it with a hatchet”). :p

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
This subject was cussed/Dis-cussed in another thread and substantial documentation posted on the subject. It’s not worth spending much energy on, IMO, especially since we now get only Low Sulfur diesel these days. I see that most portable pumping systems in the backs of PU trucks have galvanized fittings and I’ve had galvanized fittings on my large diesel storage system here at the ranch and never experienced a problem. But as OCD* as many of us get over minor details regarding our “toys” ...to be absolutely safe, the diesel fuel industry warns against long-term storage in galvanized tanks.

* OCD: (I’m often amused by the saying that we often “Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a grease-pencil, then cut it with a hatchet”). :p

Well perhaps that is the answer to my question. Was the whole "no galvanized can for diesel" issue back before low sulfur diesel? Perhaps with today's diesel this is no longer an issue. This is what Im trying to find out. Its very likely this is old warnings that are no longer relevant. Was hoping someone had actual facts on that though. Ive just recently stumbled on it.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
I'm still using my empty UDT jugs with a $5 eBay siphon pump. Clearly marked with yellow paint "CLEAN DIESEL ONLY"

Ammobeetle

Equipment
L4060HSTC
Jan 8, 2020
Hallsville, MO
These work well for me, and a decent price, ~$23 flex spout and a nice vent. Hand grip well on the bottom helps pour.

Plastic Product Formers Red Utility Jug - 5 Gallon
Model Number: 3943 Menards® SKU: 2610644

Greybeard

Equipment
L2501,
Apr 26, 2020
Forsyth, Ga
Thanks all for the suggestions. I started with the little yellow old style vent tabs. I’ve installed them on all of my plastic fuel cans. I’ll see how they work before I replace them all.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I suggested a while ago to Harbor Freight for them to offer a battery pack transfer pump and they did. It's a Bauer 20 volt Li-Ion pump that takes the 20 volt rechargeable packs.

Problem is, I went to my local HF to get one and not in stock. I'm bummed.

Actually a dual voltage pump, 20 volt and 110 corded.

MX6000

Equipment
MX6000 Cab, Wicked Grapple, Box Blade, Forks, Rotary Cutter, Rake, Tiller, etc.
May 15, 2020
Colfax, N.C.
I use 55 Gallon Drums on a Pallet and a Diesel transfer Pump from Northern Tool (Amazon has them as well).....
1594661500143.png
1594661523236.png

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Cans, cans, cans. I just drive the 8 blocks to the COOP cardtrol and fill up. Mix #1 to blend in cold weather. Darn it I got it rough. :)