Fuel can options

Greybeard

Equipment
L2501,
Apr 26, 2020
Forsyth, Ga
Although my question isn’t a maintenance question, who has a better fuel can option than the very awkward new non-vented cans on the market today. Filled mine for the first time since delivery and it was a royal pain in the back trying to stand on the front right tire and propping against the FEL arm with a full 5 gallon can. Filling with these new cans requires 3 hands I believe to operate :mad:

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
Although my question isn’t a maintenance question, who has a better fuel can option than the very awkward new non-vented cans on the market today. Filled mine for the first time since delivery and it was a royal pain in the back trying to stand on the front right tire and propping against the FEL arm with a full 5 gallon can. Filling with these new cans requires 3 hands I believe to operate :mad:
I use this, https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/no-spill-inc-diesel-can-5-gal-carb-compliant?cm_vc=-10005 it doesn't require pressure against the nozzle like some of the cheaper ones with the release built into the delivery piece of the nozzle, so it's easier to handle. You can find old nozzles on ebay, the other other option would be a military style with a flexible spout.

Greybeard

Equipment
L2501,
Apr 26, 2020
Forsyth, Ga

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-UI-50-...0030VGYWO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I use the above can. Although, I may change after I do some more research. Ive read in places that diesel shouldnt be stored in galvanized metal cans. So far, I have always went straight from the filling station to fueling my tractor, so the diesel is only in the can at most 1 or 2 hours before I put it in the tractor.

Perhaps someone with actual experience or knowledge could comment on diesel being stored in galvanized cans. Lot of these sturdy galvanized cans are well reviewed. I certainly prefer it over all the plastic ones Ive used in the past.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I use the No Spill cans PAPAJ recommended for everything both in 5 gal and 1.25 gal sizes. They are the best cans on the market in my opinion and stop you spilling fuel.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Been using black plastic powder containers they throw out at work. They hold 1.5 gallons perfect for my fuel sipper.

I can sit 2 or 3 up on the hood, place in big ole funnel and pour in tank. I do add 10ml per gallon of Power Service year around.

While this may not work for those who use a lot of fuel it serves me well. I have 8 of them, when I get down to 2, I toss them in back of truck and fill on way home from work.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I threw away the original nozzles and bought aftermarkets that don’t use that stoopid EPA “non spill” nonsense. I also bought vents that are installed using a 1/2” blade-bit and a mallet. They are the cat’s meow and the combination turned modern hard-to-use plastic cans into retro-gas-containers that actually WORK!

https://www.ebay.com/i/323347924004...MI7Ynqjvi96QIV5YNbCh3n1QcmEAQYBiABEgLQ6PD_BwE

These aren’t the ones I bought but will give you ideas. Use google

https://www.ebay.com/i/184277017452...MI1o_9rfi96QIVTSmzAB2vawWgEAQYBiABEgKCe_D_BwE

Greybeard

Equipment
L2501,
Apr 26, 2020
Forsyth, Ga
I threw away the original nozzles and bought aftermarkets that don’t use that stoopid EPA “non spill” nonsense. I also bought vents that are installed using a 1/2” blade-bit and a mallet. They are the cat’s meow and the combination turned modern hard-to-use plastic cans into retro-gas-containers that actually WORK!

https://www.ebay.com/i/323347924004...MI7Ynqjvi96QIV5YNbCh3n1QcmEAQYBiABEgLQ6PD_BwE

These aren’t the ones I bought but will give you ideas. Use google

https://www.ebay.com/i/184277017452...MI1o_9rfi96QIVTSmzAB2vawWgEAQYBiABEgKCe_D_BwE
I had some of the old style nozzles still in the plastic but they seem to be a different size. Tried to screw one of them on and when it starts to get tight, it pops off. I did however buy some of the plastic old style vent caps like the ones you show.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
Are they galvanized?
I don't know for sure but I doubt it. I have never had a rust issue but I keep them full. What I like about them is that they do not pour until you squeeze the lever on the handle and they don't leak even if they fall over. You tip the can put the nozzle in the tank and squeeze, no mess.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
Check out garage sales and flea markets for the old style vented cans with real spouts not the EPA UN bull5hit cans. I have enough to last the rest of my life and if the spouts go bad the Tractor Supply ones usually fit just fine. I don’t know how anybody can use those new cans.

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
I gave up on the and bought a 2.5 gallon Wavian/Jerry can. Though not cheap it works great and now a want to buy another for gasoline. You can get them in 5 gallon cans. For me the 2.5 gallon can is great as it is easy to handle and it’s just the right amount to keep my tractor topped off for the weekend warrior. That way I am buying fresh fuel and don’t have left over sitting in a can.

gas man

Equipment
b7100hst
May 25, 2019
cny
drill a small hole and add a tire valve stem into said hole. remove the guts of the valve stem, remove valve stem cap. bang instant vent. or be like me lose the cap and no more can collapsing when the weather turns cold

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I have a four of these two yellow and two red. I love them, you won't spill another drop.
. Got the same. Justrite is the brand name. I tried all the tricks( different noozles// added vent etc. to plastic cans. Darn things still dripped fuel on the tractor. The Justrite is carb compliant add doesn't leak a drop.

NWAZL3560

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, LA805 loader, BH77 backhoe, rock bucket, box blade, pallet forks
Jun 11, 2018
Mesquite, NV
I use this, https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/no-spill-inc-diesel-can-5-gal-carb-compliant?cm_vc=-10005 it doesn't require pressure against the nozzle like some of the cheaper ones with the release built into the delivery piece of the nozzle, so it's easier to handle. You can find old nozzles on ebay, the other other option would be a military style with a flexible spout.
I use the same no-spill can and it's been great. I'm lucky that the filler neck on my L3560 is low and I can fill it pretty easily from my truck tailgate or garage cart. But at my age I still only fill the can with 3-4 gallons at a time so that it isn't too heavy. That's worth a couple of extra trips to the gas station for me.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
drill a small hole and add a tire valve stem into said hole. remove the guts of the valve stem, remove valve stem cap. bang instant vent. or be like me lose the cap and no more can collapsing when the weather turns cold
Might give that a second thought. I've been doing that for years, and had a couple of the stems get soft and start leaking and turning to mush. Don't know how you'd tell the good ones from the bad.
Changed my ways and started using the little yellow caps instead.