Fuel advice for new BX25D

bbbagman

Equipment
Kubota B6200; Kubota BX25D
May 12, 2013
North Carolina
My new Kubota BX25d came with a sheet in the owner's manual bag giving advice on fuel recommendations. Please excuse my ignorance but I do not have a clue how much vegetable oil or whatever is in the diesel fuel at the local convenience store. I have read a lengthy thread on additives on here but it didn't help clarify which fuel to use in my new ( picked it up day before yesterday) BX 25D. I only have 1 bar of fuel ( LCD fuel gauge)left ! Please help so I do the best for my tractor... Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
Vegetable oil is not normally in what is commercially sold as 'diesel'- that is 'BIO-Diesel'... you will be absolutely fine putting convenience store diesel in your new tractor.

If you can find it, 'red dye' diesel is intended for off-road use and as such is cheaper, since many of the over-the-road taxes are not applied.

I might add this: fill it up sooner rather than later, diesel motors do not like being run out of fuel!

bbbagman

Equipment
May 12, 2013
North Carolina
Thank you Dan. I am filling it up in just a minute. I had figured on not letting it get under that one bar mark.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
bbbagman first off welcome to the Orange,, and I hope you have looked through the site and know we love pictures lots of pictures,,lol,,,
Congrads on your new tractor, take her slow and easy till you get it all figured out. That little tractor will surprise you BUNCHES..

Ok fuel any diesel from the local truck stop, gas station is good, look around and perhaps you can find a tractor store or even a local truck stop that has RED DYED fuel,, there is no difference in that and what's pumped in to diesel cars and trucks other it is dyed red (and it is about 40 to 50 cents a gallon cheaper than over the road fuel),, so if checked on over the road cars and truck the PoPo know you haven't been paying the road tax,,,, big time fines,,,,

bbbagman

Equipment
May 12, 2013
North Carolina
Thank you Skeets. I will try and post a photo soon !! May sound crazy but it feels like Christmas to me !!!!

kubby 2013

Equipment
L2850, L3400, Jd 5103, MF 205 Ind., IH364, Jd 410 backhoe/Loader, Jd 350 Dozer,
May 13, 2013
Old Town, Maine
I use nothing but #2 fuel oil in all 7 of my diesel tractors and have for years with no problems. An Exxon Rep told me the #2 and diesel all come from the same tank. The #2 like the Off Road diesel has the red dye in it. Don't get caught with it in a Semi truck. $10,000 fine. :

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I've always heard that #2 burns way to hot and could cause problems in engines. You might be getting lucky since you live in Maine and it never really gets hot up there.

kubby 2013

Equipment
L2850, L3400, Jd 5103, MF 205 Ind., IH364, Jd 410 backhoe/Loader, Jd 350 Dozer,
May 13, 2013
Old Town, Maine
Eric I think you are thinking of #1 or what used to be Kerosene. When I am cutting hay it gets well into the 90's here. I do cut my #2 with #1 in the winter. so it don't gel. Just my experience.

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
I've always heard that #2 burns way to hot and could cause problems in engines. You might be getting lucky since you live in Maine and it never really gets hot up there.
All I have ever seen is #2 Diesel; that is what is most widely available to the general consumer in my area, I assume, b/c that is the fuel spec'd by most auto/truck manufacturers.

For the purpose of this thread, I think it's safe to say if you can buy it at a fueling station and it says "Diesel", "#2 Diesel", or "Red Dye Diesel" you should feel both pride and comfort when pouring that in the BX25D.

Further, concerning bio-diesel, I quote Dummies:

"currently the only type of biodiesel fuel that can be used in vehicles in the United States and Canada without violating manufacturer’s warranties is B5, a blend of 5 percent biodiesel and 95 percent regular diesel. Most diesel engines run just fine on blends of up to 30 percent biodiesel."

a bit more about biodiesel, just b/c I got curious:

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Around here #2 is fuel oil also known as home heating oil. Had a friend of mine who was once an ASE mechanic then an HVAC tec tell me that you can put highway diesel into a fuel tank to heat a home but not fuel oil into a diesel tank to power an engine, said it gets too hot and could destory the enging.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Use the diesel available from your local gas station. If you have it up north use off-road dyed red fuel for less expense.

In any case especially in winter to increase lubricity and lower waxing temperature and prevent gelling use quality fuel additive. I personally like and use Stanadyne recommended by Bosch that makes or licenses virtually all injectors. If stored in cans use Sta-Bil by Golden Eagle in addition. Try to buy fuel from a place with high turnover. SeaFoam is another known good admixture.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
stubbyie,,, I don't know about seafoam fuel additive but I do know there's no way , no way, no way I would ever use the seafoam transmission additive. I've seen what it does to trasmission seals and it ain't pretty.

rednecklimo85

Equipment
78 B6100E(brush hog, boxblade, snowplow) 85 B7200DT(loader and backhoe)
Oct 24, 2009
torrington,ct
Any fuel that's a BIO fuel should be well marked. I.E. B25. Bio fuel, 25% mixed with 75% diesel fuel. There was a station in NH that sells it and I would stop and get it sometimes on my way back home. My cummins use to run a little quiter with it. I don't remember a big difference either way in MPG, that truck got 24-25 mpg from NH to CT either way as long as I kept to reasonable speeds.

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com