Texas
Older ones.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Power Service has worked well for me. They have Summer and Winter versions.

Reactions: 1 user

Edke6bnl

Equipment
B7800 Kubota, case 1840 Skidsteer Ford 3500
Mar 31, 2022
Agua Dulce, California
I use the same thing I use in my older Dodge diesel 1 oz per gallon of TWC-3 outboard motor oil mix. for better injector pump lube since the newer diesel has less lubrication.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
What do you mean "older ones"
I apologize for the terse attempt at humor…

YOu are in LA I see…. (great places there are favorites of mine and have good friends there I sometimes visit)

OK… Down South where the climate is humid most of the year… YOu need a biocide in your fuel if you store any other than in the fuel tank of the tractor itself. I recommend Biobor-JF...follow the directions.
It is extremely unlikely you will EVER need an anti-gel…which is only required when temps get below 15-degrees F…. so don’t mess with it.
Some folks worry about lubricity in older diesels operating on ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) which is all you can buy these days. Don’t sweat it and ignore all the “sky is falling” fear-mongers is my opinion…but if you succumb to the fear mongering…. pour a little 2-stroke oil into your fuel.… about HALF amount as recommended on the bottle for 50:1 ratios.
Cetane improvers…. skip ‘em.… they are snake oil…usually alcohol which will attract atmospheric water and will ruin your injectors.
In other words…. use clean No 2 diesel, either from the service stations or dyed-diesel…they’re the same thing except one doesn’t charge road taxes and has red dye in it (which you never want to use in a true highway vehicle.)

That’s it.. Use the older additives…I.E. nothing but plain, clean, diesel fuel.

And WELCOME to OTT!

Reactions: 1 users

calibdovah

Equipment
L3410 GST
Nov 1, 2022
Louisiana,USA
I apologize for the terse attempt at humor…

YOu are in LA I see…. (great places there are favorites of mine and have good friends there I sometimes visit)

OK… Down South where the climate is humid most of the year… YOu need a biocide in your fuel if you store any other than in the fuel tank of the tractor itself. I recommend Biobor-JF...follow the directions.
It is extremely unlikely you will EVER need an anti-gel…which is only required when temps get below 15-degrees F…. so don’t mess with it.
Some folks worry about lubricity in older diesels operating on ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) which is all you can buy these days. Don’t sweat it and ignore all the “sky is falling” fear-mongers is my opinion…but if you succumb to the fear mongering…. pour a little 2-stroke oil into your fuel.… about HALF amount as recommended on the bottle for 50:1 ratios.
Cetane improvers…. skip ‘em.… they are snake oil…usually alcohol which will attract atmospheric water and will ruin your injectors.
In other words…. use clean No 2 diesel, either from the service stations or dyed-diesel…they’re the same thing except one doesn’t charge road taxes and has red dye in it (which you never want to use in a true highway vehicle.)

That’s it.. Use the older additives…I.E. nothing but plain, clean, diesel fuel.

And WELCOME to OTT!
Thank you. I kinda knew you were joking, but wanted to know what older ones you meant(older diesel or older additive brands). I'm a new owner to an abused tractor, and you guys on here are very informative and helpful.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
@calibdovah for the love of all things with piston rings don't use 2 stroke oil. Geo is wrong- today's additives do not contain alcohol. None of the ones I listed do.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I believe that Geo is wrong more times than he is correct. Unfortunately, you can't change the stripes on that zebra or the spots on that leopard. I don't care for his political posts, nor what he posts as facts, but his facts are unsupported by the truth. He leans to the left of the center and occasionally comes up with good information. I see this as there is room at the table for all, but we don't have to follow him down the rabbit hole.

Reactions: 2 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
We use Stabil All Season Diesel additive in dad's MF383 and MF275. Plus, about twice a year we toss in a Biocide. Dad had issues with the MF275 and we had to take the tank off and clean it, full of gunk. Since the cleaning and the continued treatments, no issues going on 3 years.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Dusty and Evil…. You guys are letting your OWN politics get in the way of good sense. RE-read my post #8 and specifically find error in the basic advice/conclusion: no additives needed in Louisiana except clean diesel fuel.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Dusty and Evil…. You guys are letting your OWN politics get in the way of good sense. RE-read my post #8 and specifically find error in the basic advice/conclusion: no additives needed in Louisiana except clean diesel fuel.
Awww, yay!. I thought I was on your iggy list for proving you wrong so often.
pour a little 2-stroke oil into your fuel.… about HALF amount as recommended on the bottle for 50:1 ratios.
Adding 2 cycle oil to diesel fuel is not recommended. It's more likely to coke piston rings than lube fuel pumps. That's true snake oil there.
As usual, you are wrong on the alcohol content of diesel fuel cetane boosters. I'm sure there may be some out there, but your statement is incorrect.
Using an additive may or may not be necessary. However, why not? Remove water, improve lubrication, and increase cetane with a few ounces per tank. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
@Evil: That’s what I thought. You haven’t got anything but more fake and backpedal.

What I stand by what I wrote earlier.

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
OK if you feel you need a fuel additive any name brand will not harm your engine. Antifungal, Anti-gel, injector cleaner or Octane boost as long as you go by the directions. Wheather it's neenedor not is your chiice. If adding something to your fuel makes you sleep better go for it. My two cents

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
My favorite additive is washed bacon grease. Washed means the salt and glycerin has been removed.
Normally the only additive I use is 2 stroke oil in 2 stroke engines.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’d like to remind those who “jumped” me that I did NOT believe the lubricity arguments are helped by 2-stroke oil..and I actually advised AGAINST falling for the fear-mongering. (I wrote: “Some folks worry about lubricity in older diesels operating on ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) which is all you can buy these days. Don’t sweat it and ignore all the “sky is falling” fear-mongers is my opinion…but if you succumb to the fear mongering…. pour a little 2-stroke oil into your fuel..”)

My advice was actually “Don’t sweat it and ignore (the lubricity-fears)… and then I suggested what SOME other forums participants do…which was to add 2-stroke oil to their diesel. I do not do that and again, did not recommend it on my own beliefs…
I probably should not have mentioned what others do… but I don’t believe it hurts…or helps.

Clean, Fresh diesel is the proper stuff.

That’s All Folks! - Elmer Fudd

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Age of the tractor makes no difference. I use the PS white bottle stuff plus some Seafoam.

The Seafoam addition would be useful for your older tractor as it would clean some stuff. Beware. Like bio diesel, it could clean out the crud and cause the fuel filter to plug. Only time we ever plugged the fuel filter on the Benz 240D we had for 25 years was after 3 tanks of 20% bio.

Reactions: 1 users