fuel additives

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
The Stanadyne products. They build injector pumps and know what they need inside.
The GM/Chevy anti-gels are Stanadyne. From Gm they cost a little more but you use about 1/4 of what you need of what the auto parts places sell. In the long run you save money.
Fresh fuel and keep the tank full to avoid condensation go a long way to keep things running smooth.

http://www.swiftcurrentdiesel.ca/products__parts.html
I'm not endorsing the distributor, but it's a good description of the Stanadyne products.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Most fuel and oil additives are little more than a tax on the gullible, they are not required or beneficial if you use good oil and clean,fresh fuel.

Machold

Equipment
B3030, KB snowblower, LP grader, WS chipper, SF splitter, B7400
Sep 1, 2011
Wellandport, ON
www.machold.ca
It's not a bad idea to add one that prevents gelling at below zero temperatures. I use Power Service, available at Crappy Tire (north of the border); works well in cold temp and adds a boost.

smog

Equipment
B7200HST, diy 3pt forks, diy 3pt blade, 3pt mower, diy hyd rotary broom
Oct 23, 2011
Montreal
www.northernliftgates.com
I always add a bit of new canola oil during summer; the higher viscosity, better lubricity than the diesel fuel help a lot with the fuel pump. The engine is also quieter with it.

it's a trick from my high power Volkswagen TDI that I kept using on every diesel engine i have to take care of. it served me well. During Canadian winter I don't add anything as the tractor is stored in a kind of green house/garage i made under the deck.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Cooking oil, WOW thats a new one. I've heard it all now. I have heard of guys on here in the past when this topic has come up before and say they add power steering fluid to the diesel system. I think one fella said he adds small amouts of gear oil or something to his diesel. Why do you feel the need to add cooking oil to your diesel? And how do you know cooking oil isnt tearing up and gumming up your injector system?!?!

smog

Equipment
Oct 23, 2011
Montreal
Cooking oil, WOW thats a new one. I've heard it all now. I have heard of guys on here in the past when this topic has come up before and say they add power steering fluid to the diesel system. I think one fella said he adds small amouts of gear oil or something to his diesel. Why do you feel the need to add cooking oil to your diesel? And how do you know cooking oil isnt tearing up and gumming up your injector system?!?!
because I opened my fair share of diesel injection system over the years. including the Bosch VP37 electronicaly controled and the 2 stages injectors after 2 years of burning used veggie oil in my own daily driven VW TDI. The level of refinement inside the kubota fuel pump make it look as technicaly advanced as a brick compared to the CARB complying diesel injection systems.

trust me, unless the pump is a Stanadyne, it will burn anything liquid and oily. and as with diesel fuel, just don't let it idle or baby it.

Cold combustion is the problem and gumming is the symptom.

ATF is also a good lubricant to add to the diesel fuel.

I also ran up to 25% unleaded to 75% diesel as an antigel during the worst weeks of canadian winter.

you can find a lot of info about the veggie oil as a diesel fuel on google.

if you don't feel comfortable with it, just put diesel. Just stay away from any alcohol based additive; it's way too dry for the moving parts inside the pump.

they even ran 50-50 diesel-unleaded in a new toyota they drove to the north pole :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear:_Polar_Special

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Veggie oil gets refined to use as biodiesel yeah but I still dont see adding a few ounces of veggie oil from a bottel into a fuel tank helping much. Oil in diesel is still like oil and water, they dont mix and the oil stays ontop.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Veggie oil gets refined to use as biodiesel yeah but I still dont see adding a few ounces of veggie oil from a bottel into a fuel tank helping much. Oil in diesel is still like oil and water, they dont mix and the oil stays ontop.
Oil is heavier than diesel and yes they do mix very well. Using vegetable oil is as old as the diesel engine itself and mixing it with low sulfur diesel is common practice as long as it is less than 3% total volume.:)

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I also ran up to 25% unleaded to 75% diesel as an antigel during the worst weeks of canadian winter.

if you don't feel comfortable with it, just put diesel. Just stay away from any alcohol based additive; it's way too dry for the moving parts inside the pump.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear:_Polar_Special
OK what doesnt make sense here is your mixing 25% unleaded gasoline and 75% diesel and also mention dont use alcohol based additives. Well your gasoline must be alot different in Canada then the U.S. because down here all our gas has E-10 in it which is 10% ethyl alcohol. So wouldn't adding 25% unleaded be the same as adding an alcoholic additive and tear up your fuel pump???

smog

Equipment
Oct 23, 2011
Montreal
OK what doesnt make sense here is your mixing 25% unleaded gasoline and 75% diesel and also mention dont use alcohol based additives. Well your gasoline must be alot different in Canada then the U.S. because down here all our gas has E-10 in it which is 10% ethyl alcohol. So wouldn't adding 25% unleaded be the same as adding an alcoholic additive and tear up your fuel pump???
the gasoline as an additive is to lower the cloud point of the diesel fuel. I just use it during winter and only during the usual 2 weeks we have @ -31F

The gasoline is a lot better as a fuel thinner than alcohol and will not dry the pump seals as Acohol do.

it is well documented for arctic operations and mentionned in the Bosch fuel pump papers.

so for me : a bit of pure veggie oil during summer and a bit of gasoline if the fuel about to gel.

(I even ran 100% filtered fryer oil last summer in he B7200 as I ran out of diesel fuel and didn't want to take the truck to get fuel for the remaining 30 minutes of work.)

As I said, you don't like it, just don't do it.

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I guess I just don't get it. My father in law was a bulk fuel distributor for farmers and other businesses hauling millions of gallons of diesel with hundreds of thousands of fuel in storage tanks for delivery. His truck fleet ran on diesel as did his tractors. My dad had a fleet of diesel dump trucks at one time. They ran millions of miles and never used an additive and none of the farmers I know use it.

We have six diesel tractors and a backhoe, no additives.

We don't have extreme winters here though, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I am not a mechanic, so who knows.

Machold

Equipment
Sep 1, 2011
Wellandport, ON
www.machold.ca
So, adding the canola in warm weather but not cold. How much canola to diesel? And I think I'd be right to say that, originally, the diesel was made for bio - oil, and that eventually it was modified for naptha, no?

Last edited:

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I use additives in my diesel pickup and Kubota. Mainly 2 stroke oil or Diesel Kleen. Lubricity is my main concern. Diesel fuel isn't what it used to be. If I can add a few dollars worth of anything that improves lubricity and reduces wear then it's a very small price to pay in my opinion. New stuff is designed for the new ultra low sulfur fuel, my old stuff was not. A couple extra bucks in my $120 fuel stop is no big deal to me.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
So, adding the canola in warm weather but not cold. How much canola to diesel? And I think I'd be right to say that, originally, the diesel was made for bio - oil, and that eventually it was modified for naptha, no?
The diesel was first designed to run off peanut oil. But none was mass produced at the time. And yes bio diesel today is refined fryer or veggie oil. Which Im sure has some chemicals added to it for it to be combustive and crank over a motor.

smog

Equipment
Oct 23, 2011
Montreal
Which Im sure has some chemicals added to it for it to be combustive and crank over a motor.
you should just stop spreading theories or suppositions and try something. :D

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=vegetable+oil+as+a+fuel

all my diesel engines will start on pure canola oil from the air cooled 4hp to the 200hp/360lb.ft 1.9L VW TDI (during summer)

Biodiesel is vegetable or animal oil made thinner with a chemical reaction with methanol/lye.

the recipe is well known. http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_mike.html

Machold said:
How much canola to diesel?
I add around 10% for the added lubricity.

Machold

Equipment
Sep 1, 2011
Wellandport, ON
www.machold.ca
Thanks for the answer.

What would happen if one used more than 10%? And, would one have to make modifications to be able to run on canola oil alone? Is it possible?