Fuel Additive

HUMPHEYDO

Equipment
BX25
Sep 18, 2011
WESTSPRINGFIELD, MASS
hello all.... what a great site. i have read some but not really sure what to use so i need a pro's help, my question is this. i looked for the amsoil but to no avail someone told me sta-bul for diesel was better than anything. because i am new to the tractor thing i was just wondering what to use. i have the bx25 and i also have the summer mixture from my local station ultra low sulfer. any help thanks.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Lots of someones will tell you that lots of somethings are the best thing there is for a diesel. What are you wanting to accomplish? Keep the diesel fresh, keep it from gelling, raise the cetane, clean the injectors, lubricate the injection pump, keep algae from growing?
This is an informative writeup on diesel fuels and additives. Digest it a decide for yourself.
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1971318

Myself, I keep clean diesel from a station that sells a lot (diesel in tanks is fresh), I keep a good fuel filter on my tractor, and I use Powerservice in it. I do the same things for my diesel truck, my daughter's diesel car, and my dads tractor.

The link is wierd, but you can still read the article. In a nutshell, the best additive for diesel is biodiesel.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Humpheydo, I have been using Amsoil conditioner for years in all my diesels. It has always done great for me. If you need help getting some send me a PM and I can help you out.

JimmieD

Oct 25, 2011
Cal
Here's some more info for y'all.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728

I personally use the 2 stroke oil listed as #7 in the test, 'Super Tech Outboard 2-cycle TC-W3 engine oil'. So far it has protected my Bosch VE pump from damage and no weepy seals either. It's the outboard motor 2 stroke oil sold at Wally World for about 12 bucks a gallon, downright cheap! Found in the oils section in a big blue 1 gallon bottle. I use about 8 oz per 10 gallons or so.

Figuring 128 oz per gallon @ $12 and 8 oz per 10 gallons of diesel that's about $ .75 per 10 gallons treatment.

Also like Power Service for the cetane boost when needed & for winter use. A buddy decided an additive wasn't really necessary. Sometime thereafter, just recently, he ended up replacing the Bosch injection pump on his Cummins Ram to the tune of $2,300! Now he listens to me...