Frozen lifting rod

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Use better penetrating oil like PB Blaster.

Please explain better what is stuck since no one will be able to guess what you are saying is stuck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Had the same deal with the top link on the open station M9 I bought last year, one of the ends was securely locked tight and no amount of 'persuasion was going to break it free so...

I put it in my big bench vise, got the gas axe out, pulled the grease fitting so the hot liquid grease if any inside would run out, put a rag on the floor and heated it up. When the grease (what little there was inside) started smoking and running out, I figured it was hot, a put my 36" long Rigid aluminum stillson pipe wrench on the end (with an extension pipe 3 feet long (cause I'm a wimp) and cranked on it. Took a little bit reefing but it came loose. 6 feet of leverage is a huge amount of torque.

Ran it all the way out, applied new grease and a grease fitting and ran it back in and gave it a shot or 2 of grease. All is good now.

Heat is a good persuader. So is a big oilfield pipe wrench and a cheater bar....:D

Only thing I could think of was the original owner jammed the end in tight, couldn't get it loose, so left it all the way cranked in.

Not something you can accomplish on the tractor, has to come off and be dealt with in the shop.

And a good heavy duty vise securely bolted to a workbench that is securely anchored to the concrete floor too.

Replaced both grease fittings with new metric fittings with screw on dust caps I had in my parts box. I have a ton of parts laying around.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You might want to switch to ATF and acetone mix, but heat is your friend on that stuff.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Just don't heat the acetone if you use it. Keep applying a few drops every few hours and it'll soak in.
Thanks D2, forget to include that but then most penetrant fluids are flammable, PBlaster included.