Frozen ballisted tires

micomike

Equipment
B2400 HSD 48" Howse rotary cutter, 48" box scraper, log hitch, FEL
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester, PA. USA
Hi to all of you OTB members. I have a question about ballisted tires. I have a B2400 with turf tires and chains. I purchased it used from a school. It was probably stored inside. I have to store it outside in a shed. I came to find out it has only water as ballist. I use it to skid firewood logs in the winter here in PA. Last winter was warm so no freezing problems, this year it's getting cold. Can I damage the tires or rims if it freezes or if I use the tractor when they are frozen? Has anyone ever had tires foam filled? I know I need to address this problem but winter has caught up with me. All suggestions would be appreciated. The info I gotten in the past from OTB members has been great. Thanks to all. MICOMIKE.

vtmbz

Equipment
b7100, b5100
Oct 27, 2012
lowell vt
Ive heard of tires freezing solid-- impossible to break the bead at that point. It was a disaster as I remember hearing. Id break the tires down and get the water out before it freezes solid. THeres a lot of pressure in ice expanding, and that sounds bad for the tire. THens theres the idea that the weight might end up above the center of gravity with the tire rotation.

Around here they wont foam fill a used tire. WHy would you want that anyway? It doesnt add weight to a tire.

THere are youtube videos on how to fill a tire with wiper fluid, which is how its done now. Chloride can rot the rim.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Hummmm. The rubber would probably survive the expansion, it's elastic but the steel rim isn't. I would imagine as the ice expanded in the horizontal the bead would get pushed out and you'd end up with a wobble at the very least. I'd fix that asap were I you. Warm the top of the tire with a torpedo heater til it's plyable and then break the bead. Put that end down and point the heater at the ice block and melt away til it's all drained out. It'd be best if you could pipe hot air into the tire, some dryer hose perhaps?

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
I have a mf135 with water filled rears and no antifreeze.
When I tried to use it in below zero temps it was impossible because it nearly shook me out of the seat.
Dave

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
At work we have a Montana and there's a place in Harrisburg where we had the tires foamed. It was done to add weight and prevent flats. I can likely get you info on it if you want.

Edit to Add: Here's a weight calculator:

http://flatproofing.com/weight-estimator/

We used Service Tire in Harisburg for the foam.

Last edited:

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
drain the water, then fill the tires to 2/3, 3/4 full with r.v. anti freeze. non-toxic if you get a leak… winter windshield washer fluid works too.

fast*st

Equipment
M7040, L2900, F550 ford, Yanmar vio70 excavator, Case 580, JD 350 dozer, JD 644E
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
if you can work gingerly, remove as much water as you can, its big, it'll take a long time to freeze solid, valve stem on bottom, pull core, stand back, do both sides, reinflate and let it blow out again. Jack up your tractor and put the rear on 2 jack stands with the tires just barely off the ground. beg/borrow/steal a pickup truck or if you have a trailer, gingerly use the front bucket to lift the tires into the truck, run down to your local tractor place and have them both filled with the correct non-calcium non-corrosive mixture, smells like rotten beer or cow poop but it works great. Carefully unload your new heavy tires and get some help to roll them up to the hub and get them reinstalled.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
if you can work gingerly, remove as much water as you can, its big, it'll take a long time to freeze solid, valve stem on bottom, pull core, stand back, do both sides, reinflate and let it blow out again. Jack up your tractor and put the rear on 2 jack stands with the tires just barely off the ground. beg/borrow/steal a pickup truck or if you have a trailer, gingerly use the front bucket to lift the tires into the truck, run down to your local tractor place and have them both filled with the correct non-calcium non-corrosive mixture, smells like rotten beer or cow poop but it works great. Carefully unload your new heavy tires and get some help to roll them up to the hub and get them reinstalled.
Some tire professionals can come fluid fill your tires on site.

micomike

Equipment
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester, PA. USA
Thanks for all the sugestions fellow OTT members. I guess I should at least get as much of the water out I can. I think I will re-fill with RV antifreeze. What a pain but my Kubota's worth it. I love this little tractor, what a workhorse.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I wouldn't go with foam filled tires. It takes all the give out of the tire and in turn will beat the bearings and seals out of the tractor.

All you will need is 1 1/2 - 2 gallons of anti-freeze in each rear tire and then fill to the 3/4 level with water. I only put 2 in my 11.2 x 24 tires and they don't freeze.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have to go with the dog on the foam, we tryed foam filled tires when I worked in the mines on the shuttel cars,,yeah they didnt go flat, the were super heavy and a bytch to change, and if you happend to tear a hunk of tire away the foam just came apart in chunks, and it aint cheap eather,, and it would tear up bearing, at one point the frams begain to crack because there was no bounce from the tires, not to mention the driver because there is no or at least very little give in those tires once filled, just MHO you understand.

micomike

Equipment
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester, PA. USA
Thanks for the tip Bulldog. I was planning on trying to drain about 2/3 to 1/2 half the water out and add undiluted antifreeze. Maybe I don't need that concentrated of a mixture. Hardly ever gets below 0 here in southern PA. A chart I found says the 33X12.5-15 tires hold about 22 gallons at 75% fill. It may be possible a 25% solution may be enough protection. Save me some money too on antifreeze. By the way, I use 5-30 Amsoil diesel lube in the crankcase. Sound appropiate? OTT is great!!

micomike

Equipment
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester, PA. USA
Thanks skeets. Foam filling is out. You guys convinced me, too expensive along with the other drawbacks.

fast*st

Equipment
M7040, L2900, F550 ford, Yanmar vio70 excavator, Case 580, JD 350 dozer, JD 644E
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
keep us posted, I would not want to run plain water in the tires even with antifreeze, something in the new organic non-calcium ballast keeps the paint on the rim and keeps the metal from rusting, its why they ballast tires that don't have tubes on the new tractors