Front Weights BX2680

Dscox1

Equipment
BX2680
Sep 21, 2020
Northern, KY
I mow some rather steep slopes. Tires are ballasted. Was curious about adding some front weights. Any recommendations regarding amount of weight to add and capacity? Thanks.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would add as much as possible - think of it this way - a fully loaded FEL would put almost a 1000 LBS on the front end - the 650 in the bucket and 350 of the metal.

I would mount as much as you can afford - and as low as possible for it to hang.

You thinking of buying or making weights?

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You can purchase a weight bracket from Kubota and use 5 Kubota 55# weights on the front of the tractor. That will give you275# just about a foot in front of the front axle. The price of the bracket is $125 (from memory), and sometimes you can find used suit case weights for $75 each. I would be hesitant to go any heavier, because the excess weight might damage your front axle parts. Some might argue that the loader carries more weight, however, if you look at where the loader attaches, that weight is distributed to the frame of the tractor, and the weight is dispersed to all 4 wheels.

Reactions: 2 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I did not use a bracket, I was able to get 4 directly on the frame, later made a little metal box to hang weights on.

Reactions: 3 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I did not use a bracket, I was able to get 4 directly on the frame, later made a little metal box to hang weights on.

That thar is damn nice stuff!!!! I wish I had that availability of materials and skill set!

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
trust me it was cobbled together resembling stuck bubble gum, then painted to hide my welding atrocities and sins :)

but OP can also hook 40 pounders right to front bumper too if you grind the little tab off the front

Dscox1

Equipment
BX2680
Sep 21, 2020
Northern, KY
I would add as much as possible - think of it this way - a fully loaded FEL would put almost a 1000 LBS on the front end - the 650 in the bucket and 350 of the metal.

I would mount as much as you can afford - and as low as possible for it to hang.

You thinking of buying or making weights?
I will most likely be buying weights. I appreciate and thank you for your advice!

Dscox1

Equipment
BX2680
Sep 21, 2020
Northern, KY
You can purchase a weight bracket from Kubota and use 5 Kubota 55# weights on the front of the tractor. That will give you275# just about a foot in front of the front axle. The price of the bracket is $125 (from memory), and sometimes you can find used suit case weights for $75 each. I would be hesitant to go any heavier, because the excess weight might damage your front axle parts. Some might argue that the loader carries more weight, however, if you look at where the loader attaches, that weight is distributed to the frame of the tractor, and the weight is dispersed to all 4 wheels.
Thank you. I appreciate the info!

Dscox1

Equipment
BX2680
Sep 21, 2020
Northern, KY
Thank you again for the info. Quick question - to add more stability on hill slopes should I add weight in the rear and front? My tires are balasted. I understand front weights may be problematic with the FEL. Would I get more stability with rear end weight? Thanks

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I honestly don't want to give this type of advise, because I would feel badly if something bad were to happen to you. I strongly suggest that you purchase a Clinometer, so you have a better idea of the angles that you are traversing. Here is where I bought mine, ( https://www.tiltmeter.com/ ), and I purchased the model 45 and it keeps me safe. Mine mounted to the top of the dash. I turned a tractor over once, and lived to talk about it. I never want to have that happen again. It was about 40 years ago when I was building my home. If it happened to me today, I most likely wouldn't be able to get up, even if the tractor didn't roll on top of me.

Dscox1

Equipment
BX2680
Sep 21, 2020
Northern, KY
I honestly don't want to give this type of advise, because I would feel badly if something bad were to happen to you. I strongly suggest that you purchase a Clinometer, so you have a better idea of the angles that you are traversing. Here is where I bought mine, ( https://www.tiltmeter.com/ ), and I purchased the model 45 and it keeps me safe. Mine mounted to the top of the dash. I turned a tractor over once, and lived to talk about it. I never want to have that happen again. It was about 40 years ago when I was building my home. If it happened to me today, I most likely wouldn't be able to get up, even if the tractor didn't roll on top of me.
DustyRusty,
I thank you and greatly appreciate your advice. I will definitely purchase a Clinometer. There have been more than a few times that I have been on 2 wheels vs 4 briefly on some slopes. I have strongly adopted the practice of cutting up and down instead of across the slope. :)
Thank you again