Front tires on BX losing air - what sealer is recommended?

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I have to add air about once a month to my BX front tires. Rears are filled and don't leak.
What brand tire sealer is recommended to stop this leakage? Preferably something that can be added through the valve stem.
Thanks

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Get a jug of slime and fill it,, mine have done that since they were new , a jug of slime in each one, 3 years ago and never have had a problem since

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Get a jug of slime and fill it,, mine have done that since they were new , a jug of slime in each one, 3 years ago and never have had a problem since
I agree with Skeets - I use slime in damn near anything that goes flat! Some say it will damage aluminum rims.........nothing I have uses aluminum for rims!

Get a large container - like a 32 oz one, pour half in each tire, take tire off and allow it to set on one rim side then the other for a little time , then go for a little ride in high gear......your flat problem will no longer be a problem!:D:)

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
I have that problem in one of my front tires. I just put slime in... but yesterday... my one tire looked low again. I think I only put in 8 oz. (The recommended amount) I guess I will try a little more in each.

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
I noticed my fronts were flat this weekend and was going to post this question this morning. Good info!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
BX front tires flat out suck. As others have said, get the big jug of tire slime (not the fix a flat cans) and load them up. I fought them for years. Pinhole after slow leak pinhole in the tread area and sidewall. The slime is really the only solution short of tubes. Tubes come with their own problems in 4x4 so that's not really a solution either.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Thanks.
I see a "jug" is 1 Gallon.

Is that what you're recommending - One Gallon per tire".

I assume I let all the air out and pump in the Slime. Then "add air" to get to the 17 psi the (Turf) tire requires.

Rick in CT

Equipment
BX2360, loader, snow blower, blade, mower
Feb 2, 2015
Wallingford, CT
I too went with tubes, so far problem solved. I think my problem was related to the side walls not sealing good.

00Formula

Oct 14, 2014
Tennessee
I too went with tubes, so far problem solved. I think my problem was related to the side walls not sealing good.
I believe the issue was with the side walls not sealing with my tires as well. I went with tubes in both front tires, and have since had no more problems.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Before adding slime....

Spritze the tire bead with soapy water. If bubbles form there, Slime will not be the most effective solution.

Get the tires "remounted" after explaining the trouble with leakage to the tire tech. The tire shops have the magic mojo to seal those problems tight. Slime is... ahh...er.. slimy. And you will rue the day you might ever need to pull those tires off the rims.

Else? Tubes!

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
This is a common complaint with industrial tire package on the BX series at our dealership. Finally told our tire shop stop putting bead sealer and elevating tire pressures was not working.

Tubes are the solution!

Pat

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Tube 'em. Makes all the difference.
I run tubes plus Slime for tubes in the fronts on my other tractor.
I had been running just tubes, but after 3 flats in one day doing some shredding the mesquite thorns got the best of me. Added Slime, no more problems. Pulled one long thorn out after seeing the tire a little low, put some air in, ran down the road, no more leaks.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Tubes come with their own problems in 4x4 so that's not really a solution either.
My BX turf tires are doing fine so far, so no slime or tubes yet. I got a lecture from a car tire guy on how I shouldn't use slime/fix-a-flat since it makes subsequent tire changes a problem, but can see it being worth the tradeoffs on a tractor, especially in thorn country.

But what are the problems with tubes and 4x4s? Slippage that can shear the tube valve stem? How much of a problem is that on small BX fronts?

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
My BX turf tires are doing fine so far, so no slime or tubes yet. I got a lecture from a car tire guy on how I shouldn't use slime/fix-a-flat since it makes subsequent tire changes a problem, but can see it being worth the tradeoffs on a tractor, especially in thorn country.

But what are the problems with tubes and 4x4s? Slippage that can shear the tube valve stem? How much of a problem is that on small BX fronts?
Yes the rims can turn inside the tire when you have a heavy front end load and are climbing an incline in 4x4. The valve stem will get sheered off and you're back to a flat tire with the additional PITA of re-tubing them.

Granted slime isn't fun when it comes to changing the tires but it's really not that much harder either. Not to mention with slime you really won't need to replace the tires for a LONG time since death by puncture is pretty much out the window. Tread wear is the only reason to replace them and for most that's a once every 10 year issue.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Tire troubles
Leaks from the rim.
Well my fronts have been leaking from the get go!

Tried Napa tire sealer, no go.
took it in to the dealer and they put tubes in.
Bought two spares to keep me going.
The tunes Kept popping.
Tubes stink!

Dealer finally replaced one tire under warranty.
Stating the tire is un-tube-able.

Now I am out of warranty the other tubed one pops.

Opened it up and the tube was patched!

Just ordered Kenda 6-ply tires ( the oem are 4-ply) and will give them a try.

I can not wait until the airless tires are in my size.

Ray