Front snowblower Single phase or double phase

grsabourin

Apr 7, 2014
Quebec city
Hi

I would like to install a front snowblower on a B7100. There are basically 2 possibilities that are using a single or a double phase snowblower. Each solution seems to have advantages and disadvantages.

Single phase
- light snowblower
- smaller
- Some people say these kind of snowblower is not very efficient and not able to throw snow very far

Double phase
- Bigger
- heavy
- more classical solution

It seems that a the origin front snowblower for model B7100 was a single phase with an electric clutch directly connected on the crank shaft.

I will start very to fit the front snowblower and I would like to make the right choice at the beginning. Is some one have experience or advice about using single and double phase snowblower.

Thank you

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One major consideration is the speed of the implement!

Single Stage Snow Throwers run at a much higher RPM's and have little to no safety for the drive components involved, usually just a slipping belt on a jam. This system normally is belt powered and not PTO shaft powered.

Dual Stage Snow Blowers ran at lower RPM's and have safety build into the drive components that keep them from getting damaged, Shear pins might be a little bit of a pain to replace but they are much cheaper than other parts.
This system is normally PTO shaft powered but can be belt driven.

grsabourin

Apr 7, 2014
Quebec city
Yes it is why on original Kubota attachment, the single phase snowblower is directly (without speed reduce ) to the crack shaft.

It is certainly a good comment to underline that single phase need belt drive for mechanic safety. But the main question is: Is a single phase snowblower do the job?

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
I had a single stage 48" snow blower on my B7100 with the electric clutch driven off of the crankshaft and it worked extremely well. I sold that blower and installed a 2 stage b2550 snow blower which is powered from the mid PTO. This blower also throws very well however you will notice you have less power at the PTO then at the crankshaft. I now must drive slower to keep the engine from bogging down. In my opinion the 2 stage is the way to go.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have both and both work equally well.
One consideration is the available parts to make it work.
Electric clutches off the crank are going by the way side and almost if not all new equipment is MID PTO powered, but if you don't have a MID PTO then you will have to make due with crank power or hydraulic powered (but that's a whole other story).