Front snow blower hydraulics not working

GeoD

Equipment
B2100HSD 4WD,60" mid mount mowing deck,B2660 front mount snow blower,drag plow
Nov 27, 2012
Lehighton, PA
I apologize in advance for the long winded post.

I purchased my B2100 last year with a B2660 front mounted snow blower. Last year I noticed when I pulled the control lever to lift the blower there were times it didn't response. I pushed the control lever forward and back again and most times the blower would lift. There were other times it would lift but slowly lower itself. I would have to fiddle with the control front and back for it to remain lifted. Lately its been very cold in PA and two days ago we got socked with a good storm. I started the tractor and let it warm up for approx. 20min. I went to lift the blower and nothing. I moved the control lever front and back maybe 10 times until it responded. I went on to move the snow without further incident until I was about finished. Same thing. I had to move the control forward and back 10-15 times until the blower would lift. At that point I decided to put the tractor back in its home since I was mostly finished moving snow. Yesterday I went to the tractor store and told them about my issue and they suggested changing the tranny filter. They also said it could be the couplers in the front because they are known to have issues. I changed the filter. Reseated the couplers. Nothing. I let the tractor run for approx. 1hr while trying from time to time to lift the blower. When I pull the control back I can hear the hydraulic pump working and the hose moves slightly but the blower doesn't lift. My next step is to change the couplers but I can't find a part# on the Kubota website. Actually, I can't find the hydraulic hose or the coupler. I would think it would be under the hydraulic system parts list but no hose or coupler is shown in the diagrams. The tractor store is closed until Monday and I can only get there Saturdays because they are closed by the time I get home from work. Here are my questions. Can I remove the couplers without getting blasted with hydraulic fluid? Is that hose under pressure all the time or just when the tractor is running? Does anyone know the specs on these couplers (size, dimensions, part #'s)? Do you think running a heater in the trailer will help? It's supposed to get even colder tonight! I could really use some advice on this one. The tractor is my main source of snow removal.

I see Tractor Supply Company has couplers. I checked the part number on the female coupler and I believe it's a Eaton 04U-104. I looked up the part number and the pics don't match. My best bet is to remove the couplers and take them into TSC. Before doing that can someone tell me if the hose is pressurized and if ATF will drain all over the place if I remove the coupler? I just want to limit the possibility of injury and/or a mess to clean up.

I might be getting closer:

http://tiredirontractorparts.com/coupler-hydraulic-female-a-75540-66320-1.html

http://tiredirontractorparts.com/coupler-hydraulic-male-a-75540-66220-1.html

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sound like you have a spool valve problem not a coupler problem.
And why change the couplers out for a coupler that could have the same deficiency, I would change them out for some flat face couplers if it were mine.

You can remove the couplers with it not running and with no load on them (IE. blade in the air, or any pressure on the cylinder, just wiggle the spool control lever to relive pressure) have a small bucket or coffee can as they will leak some fluid when you take them off (and it's hydraulic fluid not ATF)

These are flat face connectors:
Flat face coupler set.jpg

GeoD

Equipment
Nov 27, 2012
Lehighton, PA
Thanks Wolfman. I will check into the flat face couplers. Unfortunately, I don't have a service manual so I don't know where the spool valve is located. I think a service manual will be my next purchase. I was saying ATF because I'm a noob to this tractor stuff and didn't know any better. Thx for the correction. ;)

I did some searching online and I believe I found out what a spool valve looks like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydraulic-S...=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item2c732c6e0a

Is the control lever connected to the spool valve?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes the "Spool Valve" is a fancy way of saying control valve, sorry wasn't trying to send you on a chase.:eek:

No problem being a newbie, we have all been one at one time!;)

Inside some spool valves are O-rings and if any of them are breaking down or damaged it will do odd things, or if there is any foreign matter in the valves that will cause problems too.

Go to Kubotabooks.com and download the parts manual for your tractor, and yes get the service manual and operators manual.

GeoD

Equipment
Nov 27, 2012
Lehighton, PA
Great! I have the operator's manual but as you know it only touches on basic maintenance. I would like to troubleshoot this issue myself if possible because the tractor shop will make a house call, but at a premium. Any idea if the hydraulic hose threads are standard or metric? I'm going to take your advice and purchase the flat face couplers. I rather spend a little extra cash and be as trouble free as possible.

Thx again for your help. It much appreciated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Let the trouble shooting begin.
Do you have a single valve or dual valve? (blade up and down as well as side to side?)
The fittings are standard pipe thread or a fitted size, 3/8" or 1/2" is the most common.
Is it male, female couplers on the blade, or male, male or female, female?
Pictures of what your working on always help to sort out little details.
How is the valve connected to the tractor?