Front PTO Shaft Question

ManiMitch

Equipment
Kubota L1500
Mar 24, 2024
Greece
Hello "Kubotas"
I have a question about the Kubota L1500 front PTO.
If I see it correctly, then the front PTO shaft is driven directly by the engine start. I want to use it to power a heavy mowing device - so I'm worried that the starter will be damaged by the direct transfer.
So I want to be able to start the engine without the PTO rotating directly. Is there a setting or a lever that I haven't found yet to disengage the PTO shaft?

Or do you guys think the starter is going to handle it?

I would be glad if anybody shares his/hers experience about that.

By the way - great forum here. I've already found many useful informations about the little orange friend. Thank you therefore

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Kubota Canada doesn't show L1500. Maybe it's a 'grey market ' tractor ?
Post picture of your front PTO as tractor data says only a rear PTO.

If I'm correct, your front PTO driveshaft is directly connected to the engine's flywheel/ring gear ??

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There was an electric clutch (similar to a riding lawnmower) involved.

I believe there was some coupling and extension shaft involved to get this out in front of the tractor somewhat.

As far as I know those parts are long obsolete and you would have to find used parts if any are available.

Since you are in Greece the situation may be different for that tractor. It was not sold in the USA directly by Kubota but was imported by aftermarket sales companies so Kubota dealers in the USA won’t support those tractors.

I also recall some posts about a supplier of parts for those older tractors that was in Greece. I will see if I can find out what their name is and post it here.

But those were different parts than what you need.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
That was easier than anticipated

See this thread in post #2

ManiMitch

Equipment
Kubota L1500
Mar 24, 2024
Greece
First of all I would like to thank you guys for your your quick answers. It is a pleasure to see such an active and helpful community.

In fact, the L1500 appears to be built for the Greek or regional market and not the international market - although from what I've seen it seems to be almost identical to the L175.
E.g. with the difference in the front PTO shaft.
I've attached a few pictures so you can get an idea. Maybe it will help to get some tips from you about using it with a clutch.
I also attached a picture of the mowing device.

It seems to have to be either an electronic/magnetic clutch, or a centrifugal clutch, which I would prefer. However, I can't find a centrifugal clutch for a PTO of this size.
Do you have an alternative idea for me?

Thank you very much for the suggestions so far.

Best regards
Mitch

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
They were JDM tractors only.
The L1500's were not made for the Greek market or any other EU market.
It's just your laws in Greece allowed then to be imported in to your country without any issues.

Have you checked PTO rotation?
Because most front mounted PTO powered implements run the opposite direction, you're belt drive and blades won't work very well if they are not spinning the right direction.

Your going to be hard pressed to find an electric clutch drive in a 540 PTO spline.
Most all of the clutch drives drive a pulley and not a shaft.