Front end post hole digger

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
OK, dumb question time. MX5100 and I have 3rd function on front end loader for grapple. Am I safe in assuming there would not be enough flow to operate a front end post hole digger?? I am not sure about flow rate, so I guess that is what I need to find out, but I am thinking that 3 point, even with the associated headaches may be the way to go.

Doc

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
I recall seeing there are several front mounted post hole diggers which will work with the lower flow hydraulics of a tractor as opposed to skid steer. A quick Google search revealed several. I am sure others will chime in with recommendations.

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
Oops, I did find the Messick's with the land pride low flow.

Still, any input appreciated!!

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
OK, dumb question time. MX5100 and I have 3rd function on front end loader for grapple. Am I safe in assuming there would not be enough flow to operate a front end post hole digger?? I am not sure about flow rate, so I guess that is what I need to find out, but I am thinking that 3 point, even with the associated headaches may be the way to go.

Doc
I am not sure what ‘enough’ is for your purpose, but LP has one..be aware it has different power head units sized for your flow/machine…I think there there may be 3 sizes(this was in CY 2021…I picked up an 02 head for my MX)…dealer should be able to help size to your machine. I would think you have similar if not same hydraulics as my MX , but I did not look at the actual specs between your 5100 and mine…just a guess. Good luck.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Found my LP SA20 auger at a Kubota dealer that also sells construction equipment. Has the medium flow motor, it's slow (way faster than hand digging), never had to drill new hole because of striking tree root. FEL has enough weight to use float for down pressure. When tractor starts to rock sideways, pop it out of float, auger needs time to chew thru tree root. Applying down pressure only raises front axle and tractor will twist right or left. You'll have to pull auger and realign tractor to finish hole.

Reconnecting auger - If you connect hoses together to keep couplers clean, the motor can free-wheel and you have a 2 axis swivel connecting motor to frame. I built a parking stand to address these issues.
20220613_171922.jpg

Another toy for the home owner (not the right tool for commercial contractor) is a stump plane.
20220610_150001.jpg

Reactions: 1 user