Front backhoe usefulness?

RichardD

Equipment
MX5100
Nov 10, 2021
Kansas
I have thought about whether or not how useful a quick attach front backhoe would work on my tractor loader. I have a Kubota MX5100 with a FEL. There are quite a few manufacturers who make the front backhoe attachment, but most are used on a skid loader. I don’t have a skid loader and they say the front backhoe will work on a tractor. To me it looks like it wouldn’t work very well, a lot of moving the tractor around. If anyone has one on a tractor let me know what you think of it.
Thanks
Richard

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I have thought about whether or not how useful a quick attach front backhoe would work on my tractor loader. I have a Kubota MX5100 with a FEL. There are quite a few manufacturers who make the front backhoe attachment, but most are used on a skid loader. I don’t have a skid loader and they say the front backhoe will work on a tractor. To me it looks like it wouldn’t work very well, a lot of moving the tractor around. If anyone has one on a tractor let me know what you think of it.
Thanks
Richard
Richard,

im sure a fronthoe will mount on your MX and it will work but not sure it is a wise or great long term solution.

as you mentioned a lot of moving the tractor around and it would be very difficult to see what you are doing.

I own an MX, a track loader and an excavator, they are all different machines and have their uses. A backhoe puts a lot of force back through a tractor, that’s why they come with a heavy chassis rear type mount. A skid loader has a lot of weight and a very solid mounting front plate, very different to a front end loader on a tractor . Skid loader also has better hydraulic flow and controls.

I would not consider putting a front mount backhoe onto my tractor front end loader, as you say they are designed for skid / track loaders, I’d be seriously concerned about the FEL managing the forces involved.

Either get a backhoe for your tractor or rent a mini excavator when you need to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

RichardD

Equipment
MX5100
Nov 10, 2021
Kansas
Richard,

im sure a fronthoe will mount on your MX and it will work but not sure it is a wise or great long term solution.

as you mentioned a lot of moving the tractor around and it would be very difficult to see what you are doing.

I own an MX, a track loader and an excavator, they are all different machines and have their uses. A backhoe puts a lot of force back through a tractor, that’s why they come with a heavy chassis rear type mount. A skid loader has a lot of weight and a very solid mounting front plate, very different to a front end loader on a tractor . Skid loader also has better hydraulic flow and controls.

I would not consider putting a front mount backhoe onto my tractor front end loader, as you say they are designed for skid / track loaders, I’d be seriously concerned about the FEL managing the forces involved.

Either get a backhoe for your tractor or rent a mini excavator when you need to.
Thanks for your reply and advice. We may only use it a couple times a year for repairing frozen hydrants or something similar so it really makes economic sense to rent one when needed.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX-040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Thanks for your reply and advice. We may only use it a couple times a year for repairing frozen hydrants or something similar so it really makes economic sense to rent one when needed.
Do not get a front backhoe. Backhoes worth anything at all are pretty heavy (BH92 is 1800 lbs and has only a 9 ft reach). Stresses of a backhoe require a very study mount to the subframe (they do make some 3PT hoes but I don't think they are a good idea). Mounting one to a FEL that has no direct frame support besides the mounting point by the operators station is asking for trouble.

Fladogman

Feb 1, 2020
Crawfordville Fl
I have a friend who has one for his skid steer, his biggest complaint is he can't see down in the hole very well, I would think it would be worse if it were on a tractor. In addition I feel the fel arms are not designed for the side force that a BH would apply.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
lol, ive never used one. just seems like an ok option for someone that doesnt dig lots. im actually surprised by how much i use the BH on my little BX. no regrets on getting a TLB.
Your "little BX" is likely one fine digging machine compared to anything HF even dreams about!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
stuff to consider..
1) find a SS BH you 'like' the specs of....
2) see IF your tractor can supply the GPM@pressure for it( and what RPM...)
if it passes 1 and 2, what is the price, all in, delivery, taxes, etc.
consider how many hours you could rent a miniex for the SS BH....

also consider ,when the SSBH is on, your tractor is 'dedicated' to BH digging only...

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
stuff to consider..
1) find a SS BH you 'like' the specs of....
2) see IF your tractor can supply the GPM@pressure for it( and what RPM...)
if it passes 1 and 2, what is the price, all in, delivery, taxes, etc.
consider how many hours you could rent a miniex for the SS BH....

also consider ,when the SSBH is on, your tractor is 'dedicated' to BH digging only...
One more thing!
Consider how many times you would rent a mini-ex for that unplanned 30 minute job!
Convenience/availability is everything for a BH attachment.