Front Axle Oil Level

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I think once you start using the machine and things start circulating and getting up to temp that the levels change!
OR..... if you hadn’t checked it beforehand......you will have operated it with low oil levels.

friedtattor

Equipment
kubota bx23s
Apr 3, 2021
johnstown
A friend of mine with a BX mentioned someone told him to check the front axle oil level from the dealer and sure enough it was really low. So he passed on the advice to me on the B2601 and I checked today......low and behold mine is showing ~1/3 up the fill notch on the dipstick.

Is this a common known "thing" that the factory or dealers only fill it 1/3 full?

Thoughts? Comments? Insults?
hi all new guy here just got 1st bx23s in feb and yes my front axle oil was only about a 3rd full also

Reactions: 1 user

Ryan’s 4701

Equipment
2021 Kubota 4701
Aug 13, 2021
Lost4evet
21’ 4701, 20 hours. front axle locked while driving on road. Mechanic came out. Found no fluid in front axle. Dealer replacing axle. Check your fluids after purchase. I checked regular oil/hydraulic but didn’t think I had to check axle.

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
My 2501 took over 3 quarts. It was just one of the 27 things that was wrong with it at delivery. It showed up with no diesel in it (below E). If I had known I would've had them put it back on the truck and canceled the deal. What makes me mad is someone lied when they signed the pre-delivery inspection form. Can't stand a liar.

I killed them on the Kubota survey, never heard anything from Kubota or the dealer though.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I think once you start using the machine and things start circulating and getting up to temp that the levels change!
I doubt there’s ever sufficient temp change to visually affect the lube level in the front axle.
(take a cup of oil and heat it on the stove and see how much the volume changes). ;)

From my own experience on my circa-1996 M4700… the Operators Manual states it left the factory with Super UDT. I just recently accomplished my 600 hr mx service and only about 1-qt drained out of the front axle. The capacity is stated to be 8.5 qts. I installed 8 qts of 80W90 GL-5 Gear oil.

<edit>. BTW, I bought this tractor in 2018 with 400 hrs on it, having confirmed with the selling dealer (WOWCO Equipment in Baytown Tx) that its record shows they accomplished the 50 hr service at 54 hrs (no mention of checking front axle although it should have been checked.)

Last edited:

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
(take a cup of oil and heat it on the stove and see how much the volume changes).
Ok Ill get right on that as soon as I heat up my coffee!

Last edited:
  • Haha

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
My new RTV-X1100C was very low in the front axle also. Apparently dealer didn't check that.

Solstice Farms

Equipment
L2501
May 25, 2020
Sandia Park, NM
old thread, but I'm an old fart who is slow on keeping up on this interweb thing. 2020 L2501 - I'm religious on the published maintenance checks, but didn't check the front axle until I read this. ~260 hrs on my machine and just checked and added ~3 qts of SuperUDT2, so it was just over half full. I ran a bit more in to "flush" out the system and what came out the check hole was very dark. I'll plan on replacing the complete front axle fluid with Super UDT2 at my 300hr service (yes, I change engine oil and all filters every 100hrs regardless of maintenance suggestions). Makes me concerned with all the other things I assumed were correct from the dealer that may result in excessive wear. thanks for all the info here!

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
What? No way to check the front axle oil level other than just looking in and finding some? No dip stick?

Am I reading this right? Seems highly unusual...
My MX has no dipstick on the front axle. But it does have fill check plugs on the side of the axle. The fluid level should be at the check plug level when full. I was told to remove the check plugs and fill till it runs out the check plug holes.

edisonck

Equipment
MX5800, RCR1872 Rotary Cutter, DH2596 Disc Harrow, Ford 860, Ford 3-bottom plow
Mar 9, 2020
Chaska, MN
Ditto.... Low. Way low. I just don't understand how this is acceptable. It's my understanding from others that factory/dealer issues with low fluid/oil/grease is common. It was on my new tractor and me raising these concerns to the dealer didn't even raise an eye brow... I found the "Tractor Mike" new tractor checklist very helpful- but found it too late.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Drained the front axle fluid on the B26 at 400 hours. Probably Kubota UDT. Surprisingly dark. Added back 5qt Lucas synthetic 80-90wt gear oil. Hillside farm with no hard surface roads stays in 4wd.
Drained front axle M59 overnight, black oil at 1100hrs. Filling took a couple days of checking and refilling for oil to work down and fill the hubs. 11gt gear oil.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Yeah, the low front axle oil thing REALLY needs to be addressed by Kubota Corporate. It is just too common. A 10 cent plastic flag saying something like FILL BEFORE USE on the fill plug could eliminate 100% of this happening. I do realize any dealer with any competency would not let this happen...but well, you know how that goes.

JLS

Equipment
L3901
Jan 2, 2021
Iowa
I don't know..., I feel like dolt even admitting this - but I was TOLD about it early on, right about when I joined the forum... (I think someone even sent me an email or PM on it) and I just flat out spaced it off until I saw this thread resurface a couple days ago.

Well, I went out and removed the check plug, and since no oil dripped out I put a white insulated wire down in the hole to at least kind of get an idea of how much was in there.

Seemed pretty low, but the good news was the fluid was super clear on that white wire.

So I got out my $24+ jug of Super UDT2 and began pouring it in, and it turns out it took almost 2 3/4 quarts.

Well if I'm reading my manual correctly, it shows a total front axle capacity of 4.8 quarts. (4.8qts would be 153.6 ounces that it should have had in there, but it took 2.75qt or 88 ounces, meaning I had about 65 ounces in there from the gate :))

There's probably a good reason that the fill hole is on the side instead of on top of the axle (maybe potential water entry point if it were on top?) but between trying to keep the flexible funnel upright while pouring and at the same time trying to keep a sharp eye on the check hole... (on the other end of the axle) until it finally began dripping out - I couldn't help wondering if they couldn't have done it just a little differently :)

Reactions: 1 users

sunnyside

Equipment
Kubota M4D-071, ZD1511
Feb 17, 2010
Central PA
I recently purchased a new Kubota M4D-071 tractor built last week of December 2022.
I now have 6 hours on it and saw this article and bolted over to my storage shed to check the front axle fluid. It was very low. It took just under 3 qts of Super UDT-2 fluid to fill. So, some tractors are still leaving the factory with low front diff/axle fluid. Hard to believe with the price of these machines. Anyway, I'm glad to have seen this posting --- real anal about proper lubrication of my equipment.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I don't know..., I feel like dolt even admitting this - but I was TOLD about it early on, right about when I joined the forum... (I think someone even sent me an email or PM on it) and I just flat out spaced it off until I saw this thread resurface a couple days ago.

Well, I went out and removed the check plug, and since no oil dripped out I put a white insulated wire down in the hole to at least kind of get an idea of how much was in there.

Seemed pretty low, but the good news was the fluid was super clear on that white wire.

So I got out my $24+ jug of Super UDT2 and began pouring it in, and it turns out it took almost 2 3/4 quarts.

Well if I'm reading my manual correctly, it shows a total front axle capacity of 4.8 quarts. (4.8qts would be 153.6 ounces that it should have had in there, but it took 2.75qt or 88 ounces, meaning I had about 65 ounces in there from the gate :))

There's probably a good reason that the fill hole is on the side instead of on top of the axle (maybe potential water entry point if it were on top?) but between trying to keep the flexible funnel upright while pouring and at the same time trying to keep a sharp eye on the check hole... (on the other end of the axle) until it finally began dripping out - I couldn't help wondering if they couldn't have done it just a little differently :)
My MX has a full hole on top the axle and a check hole halfway on the side. You remove both plugs. Fill from the top, then when it starts running out the side hole, it’s full.

JLS

Equipment
L3901
Jan 2, 2021
Iowa
My MX has a full hole on top the axle and a check hole halfway on the side. You remove both plugs. Fill from the top, then when it starts running out the side hole, it’s full.
That's how I wish my L3901 was set up. If they're not going to give you a dip stick, yours seems like the best alternative.

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
Glad to see this old thread is still saving axles one at a time......lol

sunnyside

Equipment
Kubota M4D-071, ZD1511
Feb 17, 2010
Central PA
My MX has no dipstick on the front axle. But it does have fill check plugs on the side of the axle. The fluid level should be at the check plug level when full. I was told to remove the check plugs and fill till it runs out the check plug holes.

sunnyside

Equipment
Kubota M4D-071, ZD1511
Feb 17, 2010
Central PA
This is similar to my M4D-071 but the owner's manual specifies to fill only from the large plug/holes on the Right Hand and Left Hand front diffs until oil runs out the small check hole on the axle.