Front axle lube

Oldstuff

Equipment
L 3400
Jun 1, 2022
Missouri
I have read the owner's manual and they show how to change front axle lube on a 4wd Kubota but they do not list how much lube it takes. This is on a L3400, does anyone have even an approximate amouint?

Thanks- Oldstuff

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When you think it's full by the oil level it may not be. Let it set for a day or so because the oil needs to run through the entire housing to the other side. Do this a couple of times then you will KNOW you have the housing full.

Reactions: 3 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My tractor didn't take nearly the rated capacity on a refill.

I did as D2Cat said, re-checked and added a little more couple more times. Still took less than rated capacity, but was full.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
My tractor didn't take nearly the rated capacity on a refill.

I did as D2Cat said, re-checked and added a little more couple more times. Still took less than rated capacity, but was full.
It may not have been completely empty when you attempted to fill it.

The front axle (on most) has two chambers in addition to the main housing. The left and right wheel “bevel gear case” …each of which holds a significant amount of oil.
If the front axle is serviced with oil…but both bevel gear cases were not completely emptied….then the specified amount cannot be added.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It may not have been completely empty when you attempted to fill it.

The front axle (on most) has two chambers in addition to the main housing. The left and right wheel “bevel gear case” …each of which holds a significant amount of oil.
If the front axle is serviced with oil…but both bevel gear cases were not completely emptied….then the specified amount cannot be added.
Correct. Not my first rodeo.

Drain plugs were removed as well as fill plug, so as not to impede drain. Allowed a couple hours to do so.

Geometry of the axle is pretty complicated. Makes drainage less complete. Not like motor oil pan.

Many rated capacities are reflective of first fills when new and dry. Changes/refills sometimes don’t reach rated capacities fully, as the drain is not 100%.

I’m sure you’ll have a rebuttal. You’re a LOT smarter than I am. Feel free.

I’m out.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Correct. Not my first rodeo.

Drain plugs were removed as well as fill plug, so as not to impede drain. Allowed a couple hours to do so.

Geometry of the axle is pretty complicated. Makes drainage less complete. Not like motor oil pan.

Many rated capacities are reflective of first fills when new and dry. Changes/refills sometimes don’t reach rated capacities fully, as the drain is not 100%.

I’m sure you’ll have a rebuttal. You’re a LOT smarter than I am. Feel free.

I’m out.
I probably shouldn’t have quoted YOU when I was actually responding to the OP’s query.
YOU and I agreed in our comments that yours was probably not completely empty.