Front Axle Fluid Level…. Again!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’ve read so many times here how someone had bought a new Kubota and shortly thereafter comes time to do the 50 Hr service or the first 100 Hr service, etc….. and how disappointed the owner is to find so LITTLE (if any) lubricant in the front axle. It ‘s a “make ready” item dealers should perform and apparently is an oft-overlooked item.

The stories prompted me several times to wonder if I shouldn’t check on my front axle… but since it’s a “96 model and since it’s been owned by two previous owners… “surely”…I thought, it has been checked and properly serviced since the tractor had 400 hrs and 20 years on it when I bought it…. Right…??

Well….. today I did the 600-hour service interval. I drained the transmission/hydraulic fluid and replaced it with 10-gals of SUDT-2 and replaced the hyd filters with genuine Kubota. (the ones removed were Wix)…. the fluid looked slightly dark and the magnets had a light coating of “smudge” on them….kinda what I expected. Threw out the previous inner and outer air filters and installed new ones…. drained the engine oil and put in fresh, replaced the oil filter, greased every zerk on the tractor and FEL…. Then got to the front axle.

The drain plugs were pulled and about a quart of what looked like old UDT came out of the left and about 2 qts came out of the right…. but the Owners Manual says 8.5 qts is the front axle capacity…. :(
…. Soooo… the axle fluid level was LOW according to the OM.

I pumped in 8 qts of 80W90 GL-5 gear oil.

Just thought I’ d mention this to provoke more folks to get motivated to CHECK YOUR FRONT AXLE FLUID LEVELS on your 4WD tractors.

It doesn’t take much to lubricate those gears since they”lift” any to the upper gears when in operation…. but it’s a shame that this seem to be SO PREVALENT that front axles are UNDER-SERVICED so regularly.

Hope this helps.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
My BIL bought a new L series about four months ago and just took it in for the 50 hour service. The dealer said there was barely any fluid in the front axle. Fortunately, he has not been using 4 WD much and was mainly mowing. The servicing dealer was not the selling dealer. Said they made notes on his receipt as to the fluid being low.

‘’’I went with him to pick up his tractor and decided while he was paying the bill, that I would check everything. The hydraulic fluid was low. So they filled it and then rechecked all their work with the boss watching. Everything else was fine.

i recently bought a new finish mower and the dealer said that it was service and ready to go. I took it crated for transport. When I uncreated it and finished the assembly, I checked the gearbox and it was very low. Any implements I get or if I have to take my tractor or mower in for service, gets a follow up check by me before it goes back into service.

Reactions: 3 users

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I am now leaning toward a dealer/manufacturer conspiracy to not fill all of our front differentials. :alien::alien::alien:

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
My experience is when filling, especially the front end, it takes quite a while for all the oil to settle where it is going to go. When you fill the front axle check it the next day after it has set all night.

Reactions: 1 users

edisonck

Equipment
MX5800, RCR1872 Rotary Cutter, DH2596 Disc Harrow, Ford 860, Ford 3-bottom plow
Mar 9, 2020
Chaska, MN
I was one of those who discovered low front axle fluid on my new MX5800. I would have never checked it if it wasn't for this site and the "Tractor Mike" new tractor checklist. I had multiple issues/omissions that I professionally brought to the dealerships manager's attention. The only response I received is 'we must have missed that' or 'this never happens'. These examples have never happened when I bought a car or truck.

Reactions: 1 user

Jaker

Equipment
L2501 DT, 66” box blade, sickle bar, bucket forks,3pt 2”receiver
Feb 19, 2022
Vernal,utah
My L2501 Dt arrived Friday with .2 hrs, checked transmission fluid during delivery and pointed out it was low in sight glass, dealer said swing by and we will give you some fluid. As he was pulling away I checked front axle and nothing came out full plug, opened fill plug and could not feel fluid level reaching down with my finger, I did feel a film on the axle tube but my front axle is definitely low, I will top it off and put the tractor to work. Glad I seen a YouTube video on this as it seems to be a common issue, otherwise I may have overlooked until fluid change. Thanks!

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
After I purchased "Rusty", and began tearing him down, I believe I pulled about a quart or so from each side - didn't surprise me for an old abused machine, but fortunately no internal damage occurred. All the seals were bad (wheels, case) so my best advice is to pay attention to the axle looking for leaks and pull the wheels off to check the seals for leaks.