Forum Participation

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I like to help out with mechanical questions. I'll be active on forums until I can't contribute anything of value then I fade off. For example the Onan generator and Wheel Horse tractor forums....I participated there to get my equipment up and running, not to contribute as a collector. OTT and TBN are the ones I check and contribute to frequently.

Dwight Bremer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4060 HSTC, LA805, L2195A, BH92, .5TBB, PF, 12K TAT,
May 16, 2021
Hardwick, MN
Thanks for all of these thoughtful responses, everyone!

I just pulled the trigger on a lifetime membership. I guess you are stuck we with until I am looking upward at the grass!

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I'm just here for the SideCarFlip content.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
If anyone figures out the secret, please share. I'm starting up a couple forums and have no idea how to grow the base. The only thing I know for sure is that it fills a void. Whether it needs filling, guess we'll see.

For me it's mainly been a matter of ebb & flow of interest, plus the general "interestingness" of other people's posts. If there's enough that may not directly interest me, but is still good reading, I tend to stick around more. Here, I keep learning stuff so it's been worth hanging out.

Dwight Bremer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 16, 2021
Hardwick, MN
I searched for SideCarFlip's posts and found 250 of them. I assume that he was a prolific poster and that 250 is a limit set in the search engine.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I searched for SideCarFlip's posts and found 250 of them. I assume that he was a prolific poster and that 250 is a limit set in the search engine.
SideCarFlip was also a lifetime member, and when I saw your comment the first thing that came to mind was ”well, as long as you don’t follow in SideCarFlip’s footsteps!”

Not a bad Guy. But somehow came across in a way that rubbed people wrong via the written word I think.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
SideCarFlip was also a lifetime member, and when I saw your comment the first thing that came to mind was ”well, as long as you don’t follow in SideCarFlip’s footsteps!”

Not a bad Guy. But somehow came across in a way that rubbed people wrong via the written word I think.
If anyone misses ole Flip you can find him on TBN under 5030. Yep, he felt any tractor smaller then his was a toy and he told every poster every time! He knows everything about everything and wants everyone to know he does! Often puts folks down, belittling them in an obnoxious fashion. He was given a couple of short vacations from the forum but couldn't change his patterns.

JustinB60

Equipment
LX2610 w/LA535, QH15, PL1242
Mar 31, 2018
USA
For this forum I left for a while when I sold my B2601 and bought a green and then a red tractor. Now I’ve come back to the orange paint with my LX2610 on order so came back in here to see what the newest news was. As others have said as interests/hobbies come and go so does my interest in various forums.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
.....Usually I get disgusted with the ‘regulars’ treating a newbie with disrespect for a question or a comment they don’t agree with
Ive noticed this too in other forums (car forum, truck forum and polaris forum) and i walked away from them or "used" them instead of contributing. The regulars or cool kids get backed by a moderator and just seems like an unfriendly place to be.

I have a pond on a newly aquired property so ill bookmark OPs site.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Why does a person "lose interest" is a question the forum owners, administrators and moderators are asking? Does it happen here too?
Its probably because you guys arent paying enough. Here we get $12 for every post or $40 to stir up controversy and a $75 bonus if someone gets banned or thread locked. At least thats what i get. What do you guys pay?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Dwight Bremer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 16, 2021
Hardwick, MN
If anyone misses ole Flip you can find him on TBN under 5030. Yep, he felt any tractor smaller then his was a toy and he told every poster every time! He knows everything about everything and wants everyone to know he does! Often puts folks down, belittling them in an obnoxious fashion. He was given a couple of short vacations from the forum but couldn't change his patterns.
Primadonna's are (no matter how knowledgeable) are just plain difficult and eventually need an attitude adjustment. In his case the ultimate attitude adjustment.

Reactions: 1 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
The regulars do get "klicky" and it can be bad for a newcomer. Safety police, regulations police, oil police, turbo police, I'm pretty sure there are even Kubota police in there. I don't know about everyone else but I go to church to be preached to.

Whatever you do, don't go into the "Suggestion Forum" and make a suggestion - LOL. When I started here, I made a couple suggestions and I was told to leave if I didn't like it by a few members. I was told to "pay up" if I didn't like it because this is a free ride here; I started as a paid lifetime member so I kind of thought I did "pay up".

My suggestions in the suggestion forum that caused the stir,
Update the 12 year old software it was running on so it would be modile compatible and continue to work. I did offer to pay for the new software. I was told to leave. To the complainers chagrin the owner thought it was a good suggestion and updated the site. Ask everyone of them that cried about updating the software if it is better now than it was.

Create a "Projects Forum" ideally for long term projects for users to share as they go. I had a fully documented micro-hydro project I wanted to post about it. This would also be a great way to increase engagement on the forum. Again I was told to leave, to post elsewhere, to make a ton of posts in the other not so related forums etc. Again, to the complainers chagrin the owner thought it was a good suggestion and created the forum. Based on the bashing, I never bothered to post any projects in there. And those were regulars that were doing it, not newbies.

Those are just two examples where "regulars" hurt the process and didn't help it.

So my main suggestion aside form the analytics and nuts and bolts of web traffic (my day job), I would say make sure your admins are political "agnostics" or at a minimum allow for others thoughts and don't jump to deleting/editing/censoring posts they don't agree with.

If you have a place for suggestions, maybe just look at the suggestions as just that, suggestions.

Always try to welcome new members (ESPECIALLY when the first post is a stupid question!).

Let the "regulars" know when they start to get too "klicky" that the 25 of them do not make up for the thousands of others, but the 25 of them can easily drive out thousands of others). I know I have been contacted by members that no longer post here for that reason.

Try to add things to the forum to increase user engagement (like a projects forum). That is good all the way around, good for the users, good for the forum, good for the links/google and good for the advertisers.

Reactions: 4 users

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I'm going to ask for a "demand" forum to replace the "suggestion" forum.

I will place this request in the soon-to-be-obsolete "suggestion" forum.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
The regulars do get "klicky" and it can be bad for a newcomer. Safety police, regulations police, oil police, turbo police, I'm pretty sure there are even Kubota police in there. I don't know about everyone else but I go to church to be preached to.

Whatever you do, don't go into the "Suggestion Forum" and make a suggestion - LOL. When I started here, I made a couple suggestions and I was told to leave if I didn't like it by a few members. I was told to "pay up" if I didn't like it because this is a free ride here; I started as a paid lifetime member so I kind of thought I did "pay up".

My suggestions in the suggestion forum that caused the stir,
Update the 12 year old software it was running on so it would be modile compatible and continue to work. I did offer to pay for the new software. I was told to leave. To the complainers chagrin the owner thought it was a good suggestion and updated the site. Ask everyone of them that cried about updating the software if it is better now than it was.

Create a "Projects Forum" ideally for long term projects for users to share as they go. I had a fully documented micro-hydro project I wanted to post about it. This would also be a great way to increase engagement on the forum. Again I was told to leave, to post elsewhere, to make a ton of posts in the other not so related forums etc. Again, to the complainers chagrin the owner thought it was a good suggestion and created the forum. Based on the bashing, I never bothered to post any projects in there. And those were regulars that were doing it, not newbies.

Those are just two examples where "regulars" hurt the process and didn't help it.

So my main suggestion aside form the analytics and nuts and bolts of web traffic (my day job), I would say make sure your admins are political "agnostics" or at a minimum allow for others thoughts and don't jump to deleting/editing/censoring posts they don't agree with.

If you have a place for suggestions, maybe just look at the suggestions as just that, suggestions.

Always try to welcome new members (ESPECIALLY when the first post is a stupid question!).

Let the "regulars" know when they start to get too "klicky" that the 25 of them do not make up for the thousands of others, but the 25 of them can easily drive out thousands of others). I know I have been contacted by members that no longer post here for that reason.

Try to add things to the forum to increase user engagement (like a projects forum). That is good all the way around, good for the users, good for the forum, good for the links/google and good for the advertisers.
Glad you suggested the Projects section although I have been remiss in not contributing there as much as I could have. Although this is a tractor forum, discussion of topics ancillary to tractor ownership that are common to many does assist in keeping the forum engaging.

Glad you suggested mobile functionality as well. I don’t believe I have ever been to the site on anything other than my phone.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
@NHSleddog At what point does one begin to count as a "regular"?

I would say you're one of 'em now...

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
@NHSleddog At what point does one begin to count as a "regular"?

I would say you're one of 'em now...
Some of us are irregular as well. I often type out a knee jerk reaction post. Here, and at work. The back space key has kept me employed and un-banned so far. My boss will come out of her office and check on me if she hears what she refers to as "angry typing"

Steppenwolfe

Equipment
Kubota L3301, MX5100, RTV 1140, ZD331, KX-71, MX5400
Dec 22, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
Yep.... That's him for sure. I've never come across a more unhappy man in my life.

• Haha