Forestry winch too big for LX2610?

jtrout141

Equipment
LX2610 Wicked 55 grapple-FDR1660 finish mower
Jul 10, 2021
Iowa
Have an LX2610 and am looking at getting a forestry winch. Found a Wallenstein FX90 local for a decent price but is it too much for this tractor?

The FX90 is listed as for 30-80 horsepower and the LX is a few horse below that. Any members have experience with skidding winch setups and if

used with a little common sense would the wallenstein work? Not going to be a huge logging operation just a clean up on a 10 acre spot that

getting trees out will be tough to access with just the tractor.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The youtube guy GP Outdoors has been using a winch recently with his LX2610. It might be helpful to see what he’s been up to with his.

Reactions: 1 user

jtrout141

Equipment
Jul 10, 2021
Iowa
The youtube guy GP Outdoors has been using a winch recently with his LX2610. It might be helpful to see what he’s been up to with his.
I checked that out,that igland is a 7700 lb winch. That's why I was considering the 9000lb pull wallenstein.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. I have only drooled over and demoed (not bought yet 😉). I believe Hudson and farmi have models that are sized to HP rating of a B. I am not sure other brands. I demoed a Hudson and would most like buy from them when it comes time. On a B size machine(maybe others) I would recommend confirm the departure clearance when the plate / 3pt lifted…I’d make sure on the ground clearance for your use and terrain.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Wow, learn something every day. An Iowa to PA transplant guy I worked with said Iowa was one big flat cornfield. Never mentioned any trees. He also said the biggest hill was where they piled up dirt to make an overpass for I80. :)

AKguy09

Equipment
LX3310/ Cab 1950 F- Cub
Nov 22, 2017
ellicott, colorado
Have an LX2610 and am looking at getting a forestry winch. Found a Wallenstein FX90 local for a decent price but is it too much for this tractor?

The FX90 is listed as for 30-80 horsepower and the LX is a few horse below that. Any members have experience with skidding winch setups and if

used with a little common sense would the wallenstein work? Not going to be a huge logging operation just a clean up on a 10 acre spot that

PTO power the LX2610 is alot short of that

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I have a Uniforest 30 M skidding winch on my B3200. It's done anything I've asked of it, big Maples and Ash no problem. It's got 26HP at the PTO and never any issues.
No problems with the lift arms, just a bit tight getting in to connect the drive shaft.
Maybe a diet would help me out there? NAAA.

g_man

Equipment
L3010DT, M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G
Feb 3, 2023
NE Vermont
Most of the problems that occur when putting a big winch on a small framed tractor are due to the physical size of the winch compared to the tractor. Typical troubles are with drive shaft hook-up, 3ph can't raise high enough to get log off the ground or allow any clearance maneuvering in the woods, which takes up a big portion of the 3ph lift capability so not much left for logs, winch just to big for tractor to handle, the trator is to light so that the tractor gets pulled around or over instead of the log, and on and on. So - just make sure it will hook up to your tractor and you can get the winch up off the ground a decent height for clearance in the woods.

As far as hp goes - a low hp tractor will have no problem driving the winch but don't expect to get any where near 9000 lbs from it. The pulling power comes from the torque the tractor can produce at the 3ph. Your tractor will not produce the torque required.

I personally would not consider it unless the deal you found is an absolute steal. Just my 2 cents.

gg

g_man

Equipment
Feb 3, 2023
NE Vermont
I checked that out,that igland is a 7700 lb winch. That's why I was considering the 9000lb pull wallenstein.

I have a Farmi JL290 winch on my L3010. So a 6600 lb winch on a 30 hp tractor with loaded rear tires that weighs 5000 lbs. Believe me that is plenty of winch and is sized right for the tractor.

RockyRdCut12.JPG

BigPine7.JPG

RdSideFireWood3.JPG

BigAsh1.JPG

I important thing to remember is it is the tractor torque that determines what you can pull. If I put a 8K or 10K winch on that tractor I could not pull more. Actually, because big winches are geared higher I would get less pull with a bigger winch.

gg

Reactions: 2 users

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I use a similar capacity, Farmi winch on my MX5800, I would never consider putting in on my
L3901 my key comment would be tractor weight, a winch can develop a lot of pull. If your smaller HP tractor reduces the winch capacity, then maybe it is useable.

I’ve had some scary moments with trees hanging up or falling where I thought my MX was going to get pulled over. Buy it and try it, you can always sell it on.

I do find a winch a massive asset when trying to pull trees out of woodland areas where you can not get a machine into the woodland. Good luck making your mind up.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

Years ago my dad and grandfather picked up a wallenstein forestry winch for their L2250.

It was bought second hand and was designed to be used with a 45hp tractor.

The L2250 handled it without issue.

jtrout141

Equipment
Jul 10, 2021
Iowa
Decided to give it a try anyway. Will get some pics when I get it cleaned up and operating.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
If the winch can fit on the tractor and the 3 pt can lift it, you "can" use it. You will have to limit what you do with it to the capabilities of the tractor, both the size of logs and the terrain you are on, because the winch is scaled for a larger tractor. You have more winch than you have tractor... it would be safer if it were the other way, so it's on you to be careful.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Odds are it'll stall out the tractor and no damage will be done or it may just happily pull real heavy logs, just slower than 'normal'.

jtrout141

Equipment
Jul 10, 2021
Iowa
Couldn't pass it up for the price and the fact it was only an hour and a half away. No plans for pulling big logs, this is to pull out mostly 6 to 10 inch honey locust from a part of the farm I can't use the tractor in because of the slope. Worst case it doesn't work and I sell it,

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Nice setup. Suggestions: 1.
Anchor the bottom of the winch as securely as possible - taking advantage of stumps, trees, rocks, etc whenever you can, for example, so a snagged log does not toss the tractor around
2. Pull straight back from the winch as much as possible. Pulling off angle to the side has a greater risk of overturning the tractor.
3. Safer to dismount and operate the winch on the ground instead of from the seat of the tractor. Standing far enough away so you are safe, of course!
4. Is there an adjustment for the clutch on the winch so it will slip before overturning the tractor?

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Needs a slipper clutch in the PTO shaft. Those are so much fun. Joking mostly. Glad it’s working for you. Be safe.

g_man

Equipment
Feb 3, 2023
NE Vermont
This all reminds me of the time I was making a real hard pull with my 6600 lb pull Farmi JL290 and L3010. The winch drove itself into the ground like it should and became very well anchored.

Leaner5.JPG

Then the tractor motor bogged down to nothing. I immediately released the clutch rope and the tractor came up to speed again. I pulled the rope again and loops of cable started spewing off the winch drum falling onto the ground between the winch and tractor. It took me a couple seconds to figure out what was going on - when the motor bogged then came back alive it started running backwards. I shut it down quick enough to prevent any damage. They will happily run backwards except the oil pump and hydraulic pump are also going backward which isn't good.

So, if your tractor is well anchored this can happen even with a small winch but is more likely to occur with a small tractor hooked to a big winch with a strong clutch. Usually the tractor moves before the motor bogs that low but you will find out that there are endless strange things that can happen. Be vigilant, work slow, and start with small stuff. Give yourself time to get a feel.

gg

Reactions: 3 users