Ford wants to allow your car to lock you out — and even drive itself to an impound lot or scrapyard — if you miss payments

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
If I maintain the vehicle and do not default on the loan the system is a non-issue. And I save the 20 bucks.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
If I maintain the vehicle and do not default on the loan the system is a non-issue. And I save the 20 bucks.
Yeah, I thought the same thing (see my earlier post).

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
my 'option' also PREVENTS anyone from 'hacking in ' and stealing it , by driving it away.
Seems to be real common with 'push button/ keyless' rides today..

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Yeah, I thought the same thing (see my earlier post).
Bmyers,
Point taken.
Your tale is really a point in human error, garbage in- garbage out. I would image if the people that dealt with your issue would have reported to me they would have been on the outside looking in before they knew what hit them. No excuse for that many errors.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Then you'll just access an 'ap' on your smart device and see the where it is and how it got there :giggle:
Of course the ap should have TOLD you with bells and whistles your truck had moved mor ethan 33 feet though...:mad:

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Then you'll just access an 'ap' on your smart device and see the where it is and how it got there :giggle:
Of course the ap should have TOLD you with bells and whistles your truck had moved mor ethan 33 feet though...:mad:
The aps are already out there. Will send alarm to your phone if the vehicle is moved or an increase in vibration.
We have two low tech methods. Life 360 will alarm when any of our cell phones leaves the property. Of course the tracker has to be turn on. Turning off the tracker will result in the teenager losing all driving privileges.
The second is Lyla, but in her old age she no longer seems to care who comes up the driveway.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Until some min wage employee hits the wrong keys on some computer and repos your vehicle instead of the correct one. You walk outside and go where the fuck is my truck!
lol right, like people make mistakes, but seriously, nobody is working for minimum wage these days, entry level jobs up my way pay 2-5 times minimum wage.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The aps are already out there. Will send alarm to your phone if the vehicle is moved or an increase in vibration.
We have two low tech methods. Life 360 will alarm when any of our cell phones leaves the property. Of course the tracker has to be turn on. Turning off the tracker will result in the teenager losing all driving privileges.
The second is Lyla, but in her old age she no longer seems to care who comes up the driveway.
We use life 360 as well to keep up with the family. Especially the teenaged grandkids.

Most of the time I use it to mess with my wife 🙄🙄🙄😁😁😁

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
My first thought is that this would be an infringement on my liberty. However, after thinking about it, the vehicle does not actually belong to me until after it is paid for. Also, if vehicles can be easily impounded for non-payment it should decrease the cost of loans and insurance for those of us who pay our bills. Of course the ability to repossess the vehicle should be permanently disabled on a vehicle once the loan id paid off.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Until some min wage employee hits the wrong keys on some computer and repos your vehicle instead of the correct one. You walk outside and go where the fuck is my truck!
Thats sort of like the deer hunter who missed and hit your dog over in the next county…. You seem to like imagining disaster that doesn’t have any likelihood of affecting you. Look out for meteors.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Before cell phones, when we had REAL wires connecting us...I got several calls on a Friday night. Some gal asking 'where's Johnny'. 1st 3 times I said 'sorry, you have the wrong number'... On the 4th call when she asked 'Where's Johnny ? ", I said 'Oh he just left with that cute blonde..um, Carrie or Caroline...something with a C in the front of her name...' She never called after that.......

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I would love to see this technology applied to loud scooters with loud stereos blasting "Freebird".

But instead of shutting them down the module dumps the rider and pilots the scooter to a shallow crick/swamp.
NOW NOW NOW,,, there is nothing wrong with loud pipes,, and anyone that dont like Freebird, i just dont know what to say.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I don't mind loud scooters. When I had an air-cooled v-twin it had baffled straight pipes because I liked to hear the engine running.

At the bar I don't mind when Freebird gets played; it's a decent song.

Combine those two things and then I start wondering why ride like that?

• Haha

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
when i was young, if it didn't have loud exhaust I didn't want nothing to do with it. I grew up. Now I live about a 1/2 mile or so from a highway. When someone drives by with loud pipes (or no pipes) I hear it. And it is frequent.

I have a neighbor who can't figure out why nobody in the neighborhood likes them. Well, when you've got the boom-boom music as loud as it will go, and your old truck ain't got no exhaust on it, and you're revving and playing music at all hours of the night, you probably ain't making too many friends like that. Especially considering that the neighborhood is mostly older folks.

I'm sure some liberal thinker might blast me for this and take parts out of context but I don't care.

Far as self-reposessing, I'm surprised it's not already being done. Any of y'all ever look at the statistics of repossession? It's eye-opening. I've done repo's for a little while and I could run 24 hours 7 days if I wanted to and never leave the local area. On this subject, buy-here-pay-here (BHPH) dealers often install GPS trackers. I was in on this when I was doing repo's. The tracker would tell me exactly where the vehicle was. I'd show up, hook, and off we go in under a minute. One dealer that I know of that installs the devices....they advertise all the time. Cheaper than anyone else. Then when you go to finance, you get hit with a bunch of fees that are labeled (legally mind you) differently than what you think. You pay for the GPS tracker. Your interest rate can be as high as I think 19% in some cases, and then they also hit you with other fees on top of that depending on your "risk level". Those with bad or no credit? They can pay upwards of 30% with all the fees considered. Many of the financed/sold vehicles are sold, the owners can't pay off the note, and it gets repossessed. Remember, there was a down payment involved. It gets sold (with that down payment), repo'd, sold again to someone else (with another down payment), repo'd, sold, repeat however many times. They can pay for the car in a few repo's from the fees and down payments alone. They make VERY good money doing this. Legally. Sometimes I wonder if that shouldn't change but maybe it's none of my business. I do know the original founder of that particular dealer is sitting in the pen on charges related with the internal revenue service. But the other side of the story is that they (and a lot of other BHPH dealers) provide a service to buyers that they might not otherwise be able to take advantage of given the credit situation. Unfortunately that service comes at significant cost to owners in the form of the many fees and interest rates. Oh, and by the way, if the owner of the BHPH-sold car/truck/atv/sxs/camper pays the loan off, then they get to pay the dealer to remove the GPS tracker device. That's one of the fees. Some say it's a crooked way to do business other say it's a service to less than ideal credit score folks.

by the way repo pays pretty well. I did it as a side gig for about 4 years until I started grounds care for a cemetery. That was much less dramatic and not as many people complaining.

And I saw reference to "stealership". I work for a dealership. Some of these other guys in here do too. If you think dealers are thieving you, you don't have to buy from one. And downtalking dealers in general with that kind of language makes dealer personnel less likely to help you in time of need.

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
Thats sort of like the deer hunter who missed and hit your dog over in the next county…. You seem to like imagining disaster that doesn’t have any likelihood of affecting you. Look out for meteors.

Growing up we had two deaths in our town. One was bow hunters - missed their target but shot one of their own group - through the heart - he died. I think kid was 17? We all heard about it at school next day.

Many years down the road another hunting incident - deer hunting again. Guy missed his target but hit the hunters in a blind not too far. Guy lived but still was shot.

So your little story happened twice in my area - and neither one was a dog sorry.

Lots of stupid people out there -

• Sad

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Ford trucks already lock you out of using your truck if you have an emissions related fault and dont get it fixed in XX miles.

My 2013 6.7 was on a 50 mile countdown to disabling the truck because i had a bad NOX sensor wire. Even after i spent days tracking down the problem and fixing it, the truck still had to be taken to ford to clear the code, regular scan tool wouldnt do it.
This is what worries me when I heard this announcement. I'm not worried about missing payments or getting repo'd, but it's the "what's next" aspect of this technology in the future.
Are we going to be shut down for a fault with the emissions system, or shut down if you go above a posted speed limit.

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
When the specs for OBD-III came out(years ago.), it was obvious that cops would be able to 'see' who was speeding and then issue them a ticket.
Current tech had surpassed that ability....