for us older guys

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
I've noticed several posts' where someone forgot how to put something back together after they have taken it apart. I have the same problem. A couple years ago I began taking pictures as I tore something apart. When I go to put it back together I print the pictures out and take them out to the shop and have step by step pictures of what it looked like as I tore it apart. (More of the "golden years"). Hope this helps. :eek:

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I did the same thing earlier this week :D Had to replace drum brakes and rotors on my dad's jeep Cherokee. I haven't messed with them in over twenty year's. Took lots of pics with my iPhone so I could remember where all the springs went, and how the auto adjuster hooked up. Then emailed a member of this site to walk me through how to adjust them :D

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Been doing that for a while now.

Overhauled the engine in my motorcycle this year, took LOTS of pictures as I took it apart, then printed them out on my laser printer and pinned them to the bulletin board over my work bench when I got ready to put it back together.

Particularly handy if it's likely to be weeks/months before reassembly.

CAT97

Equipment
B3200,loader bucket, scraper with ripper tines, rotovator, brushhog mower
May 25, 2011
Fort Bragg, Ca
Sometimes I get CRS pretty bad. Sounds like a good idea to take
pics. Need to take my winch apart on front of truck to install new
brake assembly at some point. Thanks for the info to take pics.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I have been doing this since Polaroids were the hot setup. But what I have found is that my brain function has a perverse twist in this situation. If I photograph dis-assemby, I do not need the photos for re-assembly. If I neglect to photograph dis-assembly, it takes me hours to reason out re-assembly.
Weird, I know.:confused:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have no choice but to remember. My phone would get too greasy. Have camera in desk, but forget its there. Went through a box of nitrile gloves last week, half of them were due to calls/texts. Running my own business can be challenging. Yet rewarding and naptime is anytime.

I use pictures mostly to show customers what they need to see image.jpg

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
We use to take parts and add them to the pile our section mechanic had from what ever he was working on,,,:eek:

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
8 Months ago I was doing pretty good, After going through chemo I've notice I've been missing a lot of the small details reassembling things, The Doc said it was a side affect, (chemo brain) I'll tell you it sucks...Now I have to focus 100%, and slow down.... No multitasking for me,

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
The Dr. at the VA clinic prescribed some pills for me to help with memory loss. The next appointment he asked if they were working. I told him I forget to take them.:rolleyes:

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
I've noticed several posts' where someone forgot how to put something back together after they have taken it apart. I have the same problem. A couple years ago I began taking pictures as I tore something apart. When I go to put it back together I print the pictures out and take them out to the shop and have step by step pictures of what it looked like as I tore it apart. (More of the "golden years"). Hope this helps. :eek:
Sawmill, et. al.,

Pics are good and a great reminder for us old folks. One more thing I've done on our Kubota is to mark every bolt with the mm size so I don't have to get out 5 metric wrenches to size one bolt. I also wrote down the PSI by each tire nipple instead of trying to read the tires.

I have a nice little printer and I make labels for "Next arm Lube." I also have printed labels that are on each of the controls so my wife or others can understand where they are and what they do.

Thanks for the reminders,

Burt

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
All good habits/tips! I particularly like the labels Burt prints out -- I've "always" wanted one of those.

Sadly, there are some folk (well, actually, there is one folk) for whom these methods don't work. It seems there is someone who employs both the note-taking and the photographs -- but like Tomcat's issue with the memory pills, this person forgets some notes, and forgets some ... uhm... forgets... Well, he forgets something else, too, but I forget what it is he doesn't remember. Where was I?

Oh, forget it!

sawmill

Equipment
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
All good habits/tips! I particularly like the labels Burt prints out -- I've "always" wanted one of those.

Sadly, there are some folk (well, actually, there is one folk) for whom these methods don't work. It seems there is someone who employs both the note-taking and the photographs -- but like Tomcat's issue with the memory pills, this person forgets some notes, and forgets some ... uhm... forgets... Well, he forgets something else, too, but I forget what it is he doesn't remember. Where was I?

Oh, forget it!

Shaun, try Ginko-Biloba. It will make you remember things that didn't even happen. :D

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Been doing that for a while now.

Overhauled the engine in my motorcycle this year, took LOTS of pictures as I took it apart, then printed them out on my laser printer and pinned them to the bulletin board over my work bench when I got ready to put it back together.

Particularly handy if it's likely to be weeks/months before reassembly.
I totally agree with this approach. I'm finding I am going to have to take it a step further when it becomes months before re-assembly. I'm going to have to also take photos of where I put all of the parts, so I have something to assemble... :D

Damn it's tough to get old. :eek:

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I totally agree with this approach. I'm finding I am going to have to take it a step further when it becomes months before re-assembly. I'm going to have to also take photos of where I put all of the parts, so I have something to assemble... :D

Damn it's tough to get old. :eek:
I would end up losing the photos of where I put my parts, and the photos of my photos!!!! :rolleyes::eek::D:)

sawmill

Equipment
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
In the house my wife will say, I'm going to put this.............in the...........so we will know where it is. Well, when we start looking for it, it's like an Easter egg hunt. But we do find other things that we haven't seen in months. :D

Musta been a youngster that started calling these "The Golden Years". :eek:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I wonder what one of those video cameras the police are going to start wearing cost. Then you could see how it came apart and where you laid the parts down. That's my big problem I lay down a part to go get another tool and the part gets lost. By the time I find the part the tool is lost. Only a video camera could catch it all.