Folding ROPS

84cj

Equipment
Bx1800, 60 inch mower, front snowblower and bucket.
Aug 8, 2013
Gorham, Maine
The rope on my bx1800 does not fold. I had no problem getting it into my shelter logic shed that I put up this summer. I installed the cab for the winter with lights on top. Well, the roof alone is taller than the rops and wouldn't fit let alone with the lights. I was ended up raising the shed about 8 inches. I think your idea of a taller door is a great route.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think this is an awesome idea. I think I might try it myself, if I can find a similar size hoop that hinged. Like one that came off of a john deer or something of that sort and cut them both down by the finder and put a flange on each. It would even be handy for adding a cab. Post some pics if you get it done !
This is NOT an awesome Idea! :rolleyes:
It's a really BAD idea!;)

Altering a ROPS can have fatal results, do you really want to risk your life, or friends and family members lives on something that "might work"! :eek:

When they build ROPS they go through an extensive testing procedure, what will be yours, smack it with a hammer a few times and call it good? :eek:

I'm not trying to call you out and beat you down, it's just that altering a ROPS is 100% a bad Idea! :cool:

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
I agree olthumpa. It's a project that needs done anyway.
I was not suggesting that you do it yourself but to contact a sertified company that is OSHA approved to make such modifications and follow their advice.

IF you decide to do it yourself, as others have said, you are taking ALL the responsibility upon yourself!

Rockon75

Equipment
L2550 GST
Aug 17, 2014
Maryland
Olthumpa- no worries on the project. After I quit working underground in the coal mines I hung siding for a while. My best friend owns a couple of siding co.s, and another is a framing carpenter. ............just need to do it.

Rockon75

Equipment
L2550 GST
Aug 17, 2014
Maryland
I wanted to provide some follow-up to close this issue. I may, in the future, raise that door anyhow, but, for now, here is my $413 solution. Yes sir, a brand new, never installed, all the way around set of wheels with turfs. And with the tire pressure set right, I squeak under the door with about a 1/4" to spare. The weather stripping actually bends backward by the ROPS upon entry and exit. I really needed these tires anyhow. The ag tires for around my house would have destroyed it, but here is the best part. I have a complete set of ags ready to go back on when we trailer it to the farm for the annual brushhog cleanup party!