Flushing out fuel tank

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
As I tend to over maintain my Kubota BX, I was wondering if I had a batch of bad fuel when at idle I was noticing some surging. Time to get it in the air and change the fuel filters. With a clean container, to see if there may be water in my fuel, I changed the rear filter first, and noticed fuel was not pouring from the fuel line, it was barely dripping. I grabbed an air hose, with a rubber tipped blower and blew up the fuel line, just a quick light blast. Now the fuel poured out. Ok, the filter was as new, problem is in the tank.
Doing some research on OTT and speaking with a Kubota guru friend, I ordered two more fuel filters and a BX sending unit. I’ve seen pics of terribly corroded sending units, filling the tank with particles of rust.
Received the parts within a couple days. Let the fun begin. My BX is a 2014, so possibly early enough to have the old sending unit that corrodes.
2C240AC2-BA28-4A1A-9890-4FB78962E022.jpeg
CBB83FA2-3AD6-401E-881F-EEF94EE62956.jpeg
10E3E66C-0E1B-4A4A-AB8E-7E73EEF37A5B.jpeg
871C1CF6-E434-474B-9A54-1B61BBE534B5.jpeg

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
With the rear tires off, and the tractor on the lift, it’s a bit easier to operate on basically unbolting everything on the rear. All told about an 8 hour job from start to finish, although, now I could do it in 5. But I don’t ever wish to do it again. With the tank out, and the petcock removed, I could clearly see a mix of pine needles and black schmutz lodged in place. A pipe cleaner, rodded it out on a rag to inspect the particles.
15B29591-75F5-4618-9037-0EAE0A6699C6.jpeg
Upon removing the sending unit, it was in exceptional condition, no rust or corrosion.
my issue, and I have known this could be an issue, down the line, in the fall I was in the heavy woods, grappling out huge piles of brush, branches and downed trees. I felt something hit my leg, and saw the fuel cap on the floor boards. Looking at the filler, there were pines needles, twigs etc, all over the upper deck. UGH! Well after flushing a few times, and re installing the petcock rubber and fitting, reassembly, ready to go. 10 hours of work or so, all good. Note to self, this tractor is new enough (august 2014 delivery) that it came with the upgraded sending unit.
Always check that the fuel cap is secure, even when in a hurry to fuel up and go.
Just to let anyone know with a similar project, it’s easy ( get help with the ROPS) just time consuming. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of all the bolts and fasteners. No corrosion at all, everything went back together easily.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
back blowing from the 'exit spigot' will NOT solve the issue...probably just blew the crud elsewhere NOT OUT of the tank !
do yourself a big favor... remove tank from tractor ! Clean it out 'proper'..remove sensor, wash,drain,rinse, several times ,besure to 'agitate it',drain real well, use compressed air to blow dry' it, swish some alcohol in it , drain. It took me an hour, but out popped a small (1/4") bagel shaped chunk of plastic,have no idea what it is, where it came from but it site under the monitor that I'm watching now.....
I've also installed a 'screen' in the fuel tank inlet.Had that been 'from the factory', I wouldn't have had 'fuel tank fun'. It's been 200+ hrs, no problems.
I've also got a Kubota filter/shutoff to install, just need some 5/6" fuel line ONCE stores open..sigh.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Yes, I did remove the tank, removed the sending unit and petcock, flushed it out multiple times. Even fished a clean piece of cloth to check for more particles.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
the 'spigot' is front,center section ,bottom of tank...
here's what made my BX23S run real rough.....
dollarstore kitchendrain strainer is now installed. best $2 I've spent in years....

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Maybe get a strainer to fit in the fuel tank open to keep misc. and needles out if the lid is off again.
Posts 61 & 62:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Bearskinner - great write-up.

I’m careful like you, but a couple years ago got a Mr. Funnel for filling up. Each time Lil Foot posts the link for the strainer I’m tempted to just get one.

I know I’ve had a couple bugs, etc. end up in the tank while filling before. Supposedly the Mr Funnel helps with water also, but I’m not sure about that. The screen Lil Foot links might just fit in the inlet, and can be left there. Others have made their own.

My BX2360 is a 2012 or’13, so I’ve been concerned about the corrosion in the tank at the sending unit also. Glad to hear yours was pristine.

Last edited:

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Yes, I use a screened funnel when filling the fuel, and I wipe and dust the area throughly before removing the fuel cap. I even wipe off my fuel cans before filling.
I had a sick feeling in my stomach last year when I discovered the fuel cap at my feet. Crud, sticks and pine needles all over myself and the tractor. I constantly check the fuel cap every time I get on the tractor now. 🤞it doesn’t ever happen again

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yes, I use a screened funnel when filling the fuel, and I wipe and dust the area throughly before removing the fuel cap. I even wipe off my fuel cans before filling.
I had a sick feeling in my stomach last year when I discovered the fuel cap at my feet. Crud, sticks and pine needles all over myself and the tractor. I constantly check the fuel cap every time I get on the tractor now. 🤞it doesn’t ever happen again
Yeah - - I figured you were careful before....more intended for the new guys...my apologies if taken otherwise. :cool:

I had mine warming up in the garage for snowblowing one time....cap was sitting on the fender....I had refilled it a couple days before.....obviously never put it back on......DUH.

I was always careful, but it did take me a few years before I got the Mr. Funnel....guess I'm a slow learner.

I'm also SO jealous of the lift! My wife's Equinox needs front brakes.....

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Yeah, Im too old and cantankerous to work on the ground. If I had to crawl around on the concrete, I’d be done for the day.
I’m thinking I was filing the fuel one day, had 5 things going at once, as usual, put the cap back on, put the funnel and gas tank up, probably something else. Didn’t tighten it ( apparently) no apologies needed, just a case of brain fade that day.
I always pay attention now, always check the cap, and always check it when I fire it up to use it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Yeah, Im too old and cantankerous to work on the ground. If I had to crawl around on the concrete, I’d be done for the day.
I know the feeling. I just spent about three days replacing the radiator hoses on my Yamaha Rhino. A couple hours of crawling around on the concrete floor under that thing was about all I can take these days. Did you know there are 5 hoses on that thing? You can actually see two of them!
It's hell getting old.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
I also recently had to remove mine to flush it. It was a royal pita to remove but well worth it once I saw how much crud was in it. 2 Jerry can spouts and a few o rings, plus about 1/2" of silt over the whole bottom.
Yes it was definitely used before I got it, 16 years. Apparently landscaping companies aren't to worried about keeping things clean while fueling.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I know the feeling. I just spent about three days replacing the radiator hoses on my Yamaha Rhino. A couple hours of crawling around on the concrete floor under that thing was about all I can take these days. Did you know there are 5 hoses on that thing? You can actually see two of them!
It's hell getting old.
I wish I didn’t read that comment. I picked up a Yamaha Rhino last time I was down in Kalifornia. The battery died, and the people went out and just bought a new Polaris. It wasn’t in great shape, and had sat for possibly 3 years. The fuel was disgusting. New carb, all new lines, added a burp tank off a Hisun, and pulled and flushed the gas tank on that too. It probably has all original hoses. Something to look forward to! It was a 4 seater, with a full cage, but I wanted a pickup version with the dump bed, so it got a major revamp.
BFED7071-7563-4A48-8EFA-A109D2AB1E74.png
FB8DCE1E-EFEE-4B48-97F8-81A603D96C97.jpeg

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I will say that the hoses only started to seep in two spots, up near the outlet from the head, and they were the original 2004 hoses. (about 6000 miles, in Arizona)
I replaced them with aftermarket silicone hoses from eboy. The two on the radiator weren't too bad, and the one on top the drivers side of the engine was OK, (mine was a more little complicated by an after market coolant temp sensor tee) but those two under the passenger side/rear of the engine were a bitch.
No room for hands/visibility, and they were all hard to clean the metal pipes before installing the new hoses. It would have been a far easier job on a lift.
IMG_0662.jpg

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I was just thinking how it would kill me to lay on my back trying to change hoses. That lift was 2K well spent. Fortunately I have a buddy that knows how to adjust the cables, or I may still have been trying to build and adjust It.
This Yamaha is an 04, with 207 hours and 1080 miles. Just like any piece of equipment, maintenance goes a long way. This poor thing was NOT taken care of, but with all the fluids changed, everything cleaned and greased, and the plastic soaked in plastic renew, it is a great fire wood delivery vehicle, and the two dogs fit in the bed, with their noses thru the wood side rails. Here in Idaho you can drive ANY off road vehicle on the streets with a $10. Per year license plate. It’s nice fir running around town, or visiting neighbors.
It’s cool to go to town, and see a family in a SxS, a couple kids on dirt bikes, a big tractor fueling up, kinda like the simple old days.